Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Soccer Needs to Add U16 DA for Boys - How do we do it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Soccer Needs to Add U16 DA for Boys - How do we do it?

I see failure in the US Soccer Development Academy forcing over half the players out of the program when they are 14 and 15 years old by combining U16 and U17. On our team only 3 players out of 18 are remaining in the Development Academy from U15 to the U16/U17 Team - that's 83% of the best players being forced out of US Soccer if other teams pick like our team does. A top Corinthians Development Coach stated that the worst player at 13 and 14 years old can be the best player at 15 and 16 years old due to growth and life changes given the have adequate technical skills. The point being Brazil cultivates the age group and the US Soccer pushes them out of the program at age 14 and 15 years old. With the change of leadership, I would expect a change but I have not seen one yet. It looks to be a lot of talk and no action from US Soccer. BTW, 95% of the US Teams come from the Development Academy Program.

How do we get US Soccer's Attention?

The U18/U19 combination is not that bad due to many of the boys go to College at U19 but they should be separated too; however, I think the priority should be U16.

Additionally, the Academies should like to have additional revenue of another 18 players.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I see failure in the US Soccer Development Academy forcing over half the players out of the program when they are 14 and 15 years old by combining U16 and U17. On our team only 3 players out of 18 are remaining in the Development Academy from U15 to the U16/U17 Team - that's 83% of the best players being forced out of US Soccer if other teams pick like our team does. A top Corinthians Development Coach stated that the worst player at 13 and 14 years old can be the best player at 15 and 16 years old due to growth and life changes given the have adequate technical skills. The point being Brazil cultivates the age group and the US Soccer pushes them out of the program at age 14 and 15 years old. With the change of leadership, I would expect a change but I have not seen one yet. It looks to be a lot of talk and no action from US Soccer. BTW, 95% of the US Teams come from the Development Academy Program.

The U18/U19 combination is not that bad due to many of the boys go to College at U19 but they should be separated too; however, I think the priority should be U16.

Additionally, the Academies should like to have additional revenue of another 18 players.
    If he was good then it wouldn't matter.

Comment

Don't worry - USSF will split it up soon enough. It means more teams = more market share. One of the good things about DA is pushing more skilled younger players into competing against older, bigger players. Split up yet another age group and that goes away. So yes your kid will have a spot, but that doesn't mean it's good for anything but that and the clubs having more paying customers. Besides, if your kid can't make the older cut USSF doesn't acre about them anyway. That is the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        I agree. The benefit of DA is multiple birth years. There aren't enough good kids to fill whole classes.

Comment

Why are you asking this question on multiple forums?

also, didn't you read your own post? "BTW, 95% of the US Teams come from the Development Academy Program." Clearly the best are already managing the "gap" year. Realistically our best U16 should be playing in Europe or heading there soon.

Comment

also, didn't you read your own post? "BTW, 95% of the US Teams come from the Development Academy Program." Clearly the best are already managing the "gap" year. Realistically our best U16 should be playing in Europe or heading there soon.
            So go already. Open a FundMyFatAss. We'll help.

Comment

This.

If your free ride is ending I feel badly for you.

If you're getting out from under the burden of pay to play's pinnacle you should feel liberated.

Comment

Your kid is with the wrong club. The clubs that actually care about development put teams in the pre-academy league at U16, and basically treat them as academy players, many back on the official academy team the folllowing year. Here's a list of those clubs:

usclub.demosphere.com/schedules/2017-18/88995865.html

Comment

Except most US players can't go to Europe until they are 18. The exceptions being the US players holding dual passports.

Comment

Except most US players can't go to Europe until they are 18. The exceptions being the US players holding dual passports.
                    Even then 1) your parents have to move for a reason other than soccer and 2) you have to make a team.

DA in the USA is detrimental to development. Look what it did to the girls.

Comment

Even then 1) your parents have to move for a reason other than soccer and 2) you have to make a team.

DA in the USA is detrimental to development. Look what it did to the girls.
                      1. Isn't true if you are 18 or have a foreign passport. If you are less than 18 and your parents move for work reasons it's find

Comment

1. Isn't true if you are 18 or have a foreign passport. If you are less than 18 and your parents move for work reasons it's find
                        Yes it's so easy to land overseas work, uproot the whole family. That's why most who do it wait until they're 18. You can do lots of training there during the summer, however.

Comment

So go already. Open a FundMyFatAss. We'll help.
                          Agree, stop yapping about it and go. Proof of one way ticket and I'd contribute. Good cause.

Comment

The Revs would just form a U16 alliance.

Comment

The Revs would just form a U16 alliance.
                              Girls GDA in the NE is joining EDP to run U16 teams, and I think they are in TX as well. I'm sure USSF will be watching it closely. I agree USSF probably wants to add them to keep more players in the system. Many DA clubs have B teams where cut players can stay in the hopes of making DA the next year, but some will leave because the writing is on the wall.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X