Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You need to think beyond a few days. The long-term soccer landscape has changed on the Boys side. That's why GPS and NEFC players attended ECNL tryouts. It's really not that complicated.
    That was claimed last year too, and a grand total of zero boys left either of those clubs to join either Bolts or Stars ECNL. No kids joining this year either. And why would they? The evidence to date indicates that Boys ECNL is a overall weaker league than the NE NPL, that it certainly has lesser teams in New England, that it requires a lot more in season travel, and that the teams end up playing in the very same end of year playoffs and tournaments (except it looks like the Bolts and Stars teams likely wont even qualify for those events). I can understand a kid who would choose to jump from NEFC or GPS to one of the DA teams (Bolts, Revs, Seacoast)--but why would a kid on one of the top NEFC or GPS teams want to jump to the Boys ECNL?

Comment

You need to think beyond a few days. The long-term soccer landscape has changed on the Boys side. That's why GPS and NEFC players attended ECNL tryouts. It's really not that complicated.
      When I look at the 2018 commitments list, Bolts DA is well represented for
      D1, but Bolts ECNL is not. Given the greater travel (and cost) involved in ECNL vs. NPL I just don’t see the value in it. Maybe I’m missing something? Not trying to knock ECNL, maybe just need to be enlightened.

Comment

Ecnl is unnecessary expense .Unless you want to go to college out of region anyone tells you otherwise is full of it.

Comment

No NPL not nearly on same level with DA, that's just either wishful thinking or you know nothing about the game. The top NPL are comparable with the *local* ECNL this year but that will change fast. Why else would so many of the top NPL players attend ECNL tryouts?
          I'm talking about the top age group. There is not much different than the top U18/U19 NPL teams and local DA teams right now. ECNL is not even close. I have seen NPL team beat the Bolts DA team. Revs will never play a non DA team due to the political fallout if they don't win. Yes, this is not typically the case, but many kids especially seniors are forgoing DA their senior year and playing HS, then NPL. This transition from DA to NPL is making the NPL teams comparable to DA, but only at that age group. The top GPS and NEFC teams are loaded with Div. 1 players.

Comment

That was claimed last year too, and a grand total of zero boys left either of those clubs to join either Bolts or Stars ECNL. No kids joining this year either. And why would they? The evidence to date indicates that Boys ECNL is a overall weaker league than the NE NPL, that it certainly has lesser teams in New England, that it requires a lot more in season travel, and that the teams end up playing in the very same end of year playoffs and tournaments (except it looks like the Bolts and Stars teams likely wont even qualify for those events). I can understand a kid who would choose to jump from NEFC or GPS to one of the DA teams (Bolts, Revs, Seacoast)--but why would a kid on one of the top NEFC or GPS teams want to jump to the Boys ECNL?
            ECNL is new and needs time to develop. Bolts ECNL U15 beat GPS Elite Red in the State Cup 2-0...GPS Elite Red is one of the teams that everyone says would compete with DA.

I was at the ECNL tryouts this year and last year. There are definitely kids from NPL teams trying to make the ECNL teams....they wear their team jerseys usually so you can see what team they play for. Some kids are good but most of them are average. The difference is that they have been playing with their current team for a long time. Teams that play together for years start to gel...this is the first year for ECNL so it will take some time. Most of the ECNL teams had a bumpy start but finished stronger than they started.

Overall its a stupid argument. If your kid was on ECNL you would be putting ECNL on a pedestal.

Comment

I suppose we will find out soon enough. The top NPL boys teams have playoffs with the top ECNL boys teams at the end of June in Lancaster. I don't think any of the local ECNL boys teams are going to qualify.
              Top NPL teams played other NPL teams to get there. ECNL teams played other ECNL teams as far south as Maryland and Virginia. ECNL can be extremely competitive - more so than some NPL divisions - and it’s not clear how it’s going to shake out. If NEFC had gone ECNL instead of Stars or Bolts, those boys and their parents would also have been claiming ECNL is a tougher league or something like that. Will just observe that to get to state cup championship the Bolts ECNL U15s beat Valeo 3-0 and GPS Red 2-0.

Comment

I'm talking about the top age group. There is not much different than the top U18/U19 NPL teams and local DA teams right now. ECNL is not even close. I have seen NPL team beat the Bolts DA team. Revs will never play a non DA team due to the political fallout if they don't win. Yes, this is not typically the case, but many kids especially seniors are forgoing DA their senior year and playing HS, then NPL. This transition from DA to NPL is making the NPL teams comparable to DA, but only at that age group. The top GPS and NEFC teams are loaded with Div. 1 players.
                Huuuugge stretch here. NEFC and GPS are 'loaded' with D1 players??? Don't think so. GPS had 6 D1 and NEFC had 5 last year. Aztec had almost as many as NEFC!!!

Also, where did you see a Bolts DA team play an NPL team? Another lie...DA clubs have significant restrictions.

ECNL is a higher level of play than NPL...there was a thread a few weeks ago where a college coach said that is the general assumption among his peers. Not saying that NPL is bad. Not saying that all NPL players aren't at the ECNL speed of play either. But go watch WUP play Aztec and then go watch Bolts play FSA and you will change your tune.
                College coaches look for kids that aren't going to slow down their teams speed of play...most NPL kids will slow the team down. Bad first touch, head down, two touches before passing, etc. NEFC, Liverpool and top GPS teams are better than the bottom NPL teams...but stop trying to bring ECNL down to make NPL look good. NPL isn't going to become the next MAPLE...just relax.

Comment

Huuuugge stretch here. NEFC and GPS are 'loaded' with D1 players??? Don't think so. GPS had 6 D1 and NEFC had 5 last year. Aztec had almost as many as NEFC!!!

Also, where did you see a Bolts DA team play an NPL team? Another lie...DA clubs have significant restrictions.

ECNL is a higher level of play than NPL...there was a thread a few weeks ago where a college coach said that is the general assumption among his peers. Not saying that NPL is bad. Not saying that all NPL players aren't at the ECNL speed of play either. But go watch WUP play Aztec and then go watch Bolts play FSA and you will change your tune.
                  College coaches look for kids that aren't going to slow down their teams speed of play...most NPL kids will slow the team down. Bad first touch, head down, two touches before passing, etc. NEFC, Liverpool and top GPS teams are better than the bottom NPL teams...but stop trying to bring ECNL down to make NPL look good. NPL isn't going to become the next MAPLE...just relax.
                  Wel if you were in the know as you seem to think you are you would know that NEFC 00/99 NPL team played Bolts Academy at Boston College in Newton. NEFC won 1-0 in a very good game by both sides. Not a lie a fact!

Both the GPS Red 99 and NEFC 00/99 team have a good amount of div 1 commitments. NEFC has 5/6 and I believe the GPS team has close to the same as I know many kids on both teams.

If you also bothered to read I was specifically referring to the top age group NPL teams, not below......

Comment

this thread is stupid......... My dad is bigger than your dad.

Comment

ECNL is new and needs time to develop. Bolts ECNL U15 beat GPS Elite Red in the State Cup 2-0...GPS Elite Red is one of the teams that everyone says would compete with DA.
                      And Bolts ECNL U15 lost to Bayside NPL U15 (who finished in 5th place in the NPL) at Needham.

To be fair, it does look like the Bolts ECNL U15 vastly outperformed their prior record last weekend at the State Cup--I wonder if it has anything to do with the Bolts U15 academy team missing so many of their regular starters that same day (when they lost 8-1 loss to NY Red Bull?

Comment

And Bolts ECNL U15 lost to Bayside NPL U15 (who finished in 5th place in the NPL) at Needham.

To be fair, it does look like the Bolts ECNL U15 vastly outperformed their prior record last weekend at the State Cup--I wonder if it has anything to do with the Bolts U15 academy team missing so many of their regular starters that same day (when they lost 8-1 loss to NY Red Bull?
                        Are you implying that they won because there were DA kids on the roster? 100% false.

How would you know that Bolts DA was missing regular starters the same day as the State Cup? I have no idea if this is true but you seem to be pushing lies. Grow up.

Comment

Hey dumbas*, they forego their last year of DA to play HS because they have already committed!!

Comment

Stalker alert.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered]Wel if you were in the know as you seem to think you are you would know that NEFC 00/99 NPL team played Bolts Academy at Boston College in Newton. NEFC won 1-0 in a very good game by both sides. Not a lie a fact!

I was at the scrimmage, and we know the kids on the other team and there were plenty of Bolts players missing, so while I am proud of my son for playing tough and "winning", I don't think anyone can take much from a scrimmage and most of us remarked that the Bolts had the better play of the game and certainly played much more quickly. So I was proud but not too proud.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2285687]
                                Originally posted by Unregistered
                                Wel if you were in the know as you seem to think you are you would know that NEFC 00/99 NPL team played Bolts Academy at Boston College in Newton. NEFC won 1-0 in a very good game by both sides. Not a lie a fact!

I was at the scrimmage, and we know the kids on the other team and there were plenty of Bolts players missing, so while I am proud of my son for playing tough and "winning", I don't think anyone can take much from a scrimmage and most of us remarked that the Bolts had the better play of the game and certainly played much more quickly. So I was proud but not too proud.
                                Well "Dad", I was there as well and the Bolts were missing a couple, not "plenty" and NEFC was missing their leading goal scorer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X