Seacoast United to join GDA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a vocal advocate of the program at it's initiation, and while it all fell apart and we are no longer with Seacoast, I still am. My kid loved it, but I also know that wasn't a highly held opinion. Two reasons, as I'm sure you could guess:

1) High school. She didn't care that she couldn't play, but was glad when she eventually did. It helped her with confidence and was likely outweighed by the lack of solid training
    2) Subbing. Bigger issue for some kids, as we saw them getting shlt for minutes after lots of travel. Fortunately didn't affect us, but for those who griped - 100% agree with you there

Both of those were eliminated with the onset of GAL. The travel remained, and we didn't mind. Some did.

Understanding where we were before, I believed then and still believe now it was somewhat of a necessity. NPL was falling apart. The best teams we were playing were leaving, so it was either stay back with the rest of move forward.

I think Seacoast did a very good job with the program and I have nothing but positives to say about the coaching staff. The issue is, unfortunately, the talent level in NH is a bit thin. If they could get every player into one team per age group, and keep them from traveling into MA, they could do quite well. But, that won't happen soon, and to be truthful, we were one of those families who felt they needed to go to MA. It worked out for us, but I do feel bad about leaving because the club treated us top notch and I will forever advocate to anyone who asks on their behalf.

Was it a disaster? No. Was it a necessity? I feel, yes. If presented with the same situation 5 years later, would we do it again? Hard to say. Again, all positives, but the situation with HS forced a change of opinion over time and that would be a potential sticking point. It's unfortunate that we have these parallel activities/leagues because I truly believe each could get what they want and not cross over the Hudson River. Seeing both leagues in action, Seacoast would be lumped in the bottom half of the other league, which results show they would be competitive most of the time. Not win often, but compete.

OP good call bringing this back up...the negative group(s) on here pounced when it started and the conversation was to revisit it 5 years later...so here we are....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    Working...
    X