Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Save your breath. The D3 pinhead hasn’t a freaking clue what it actually takes to make it on to a soccer field in one of those programs. That lunatic actually thinks the coaches care about academics.
    Who gives a crap what coaches think. Future employers and grad schools care about academics.

Comment

Who gives a crap what coaches think. Future employers and grad schools care about academics.
      can you possibly be this stupid? Why play at all then? With your PoV why are you even on a soccer forum? Most employers i come into contact with want individuals who are rounded and can get jobs done under pressure as part of a team.

Comment

can you possibly be this stupid? Why play at all then? With your PoV why are you even on a soccer forum? Most employers i come into contact with want individuals who are rounded and can get jobs done under pressure as part of a team.
        Nothing is wrong with my POV. High level youth soccer is supposed to only be for talented kids that want to prioritize it over academics at college? Why dont you get off the forum for a change and stop this message that soccer is what these kids should focus on in college?

Comment

Nothing is wrong with my POV. High level youth soccer is supposed to only be for talented kids that want to prioritize it over academics at college? Why dont you get off the forum for a change and stop this message that soccer is what these kids should focus on in college?
          why dont you stop twisting what was said. if you think Stanford, UVA or Duke kids should stop focusing on soccer once they are recruited you are both naive and stupid. There is a world of difference between those 3 schools (that you mentioned btw) and high level youth soccer. Almost every player on those school teams is a youth international. they are recruited there for their soccer prowess.

Your take is awful when applied to the schools you specifically named. You are recruited there to play soccer. make no mistake. Not sure why you think you know more about it than parents of kids actually attending said schools.

the hope is that you manage to get your work done AND play at a high level. make no mistake, it you cant do that then you will certainly face consequences. At the schools you mentioned by name, soccer is the focus and only a fool thinks otherwise.

Comment

Ins - +9
            Arlington Soccer Association - Atlantic
            Cleveland Soccer Academy Impact United - Mid-America
            FC Albertson Fury -Northeast
            Michigan Jaguars FC - Mid-America
            Oklahoma Energy FC -Frontier
            Seacoast United -Northeast
            SJEB Rush -Atlantic
            Sporting Omaha - Frontier
            Utah Royals FC (Phoenix, Ariz.) - Southwest

Out - 9
            Stars - Northeast
            Sky Blue PDA - Atlantic
            Concorde - Southeast
            Eclipse - Mid-America
            Hawks - Mid-America
            Virginia Dev Aca - Atlantic
            FC Kansas City - Frontier
            Burlingame - Northwest
            PSV - Northwest

GDA lost some top clubs (Sky Blue, Hawks, Concorde, Eclipse) and generally traded down when replacing those clubs, but also getting rid of some clubs that should have never been there.

Comment

Horrific take but do what makes you happy. so College look for "known" players and how they improve over time is irrelevant?

\as far as you inferences on schools. as a parent of a kid attending one of the non schools you mention, you are MILES off. If they are interested in you FOR SOCCER, you would be dumb to think academics are more important.

You better be a top level player and do everything to stay there. If you can do that in HS , great, but dont kid yourself. Those schools are interested in your soccer ability and are counting on you getting the academics squared away WITHOUT compromising you ability to perform.
              OP of post that generated this response. I am NOT the it-was-always-about-academics guy. Very interested in your thoughts. Real Example: Current Freshman Played DA this past year and already has contact open with coaches at schools she is interested in (mostly before DA but it didn't hurt). Those coaches look at soccer first no doubt, but insist that she needs to hit grade and SAT threshold. How much can they lower the academic bar?

Comment

and I read your responses to "other guy". I'm not your TS rival.
                I totally understand that once there, it is D1 soccer at the Championship-chasing level. Academic load must be approved by coach, performance on field is all that matters.
                My question is about admission standards. I also realize that "it depends" applies. Assume she has been talking with coach for 9+ months and she is a first wave offer, which we hear will come her sophomore fall with academic contingencies (GPA, SAT/ACT). Does the contingency mean that she is not top recruit?

Comment

OP of post that generated this response. I am NOT the it-was-always-about-academics guy. Very interested in your thoughts. Real Example: Current Freshman Played DA this past year and already has contact open with coaches at schools she is interested in (mostly before DA but it didn't hurt). Those coaches look at soccer first no doubt, but insist that she needs to hit grade and SAT threshold. How much can they lower the academic bar?
                  Its player specific. The coach at the school my kid is attending this year NEVER mentioned grades once. Clearly it depends on the school and the composition of the team she is joining.schools of the level the other guy mentioned, are relying on you to play soccer, in my opinion, you would be foolish to go to a school where keeping up academically was a major stretch. unless of course your kid wants to give up soccer. At D3s with no scholarship dollars, or an Ivy that is less of an issue than say a kid getting decent $$ from Duke.

Comment

and I read your responses to "other guy". I'm not your TS rival.
                    I totally understand that once there, it is D1 soccer at the Championship-chasing level. Academic load must be approved by coach, performance on field is all that matters.
                    My question is about admission standards. I also realize that "it depends" applies. Assume she has been talking with coach for 9+ months and she is a first wave offer, which we hear will come her sophomore fall with academic contingencies (GPA, SAT/ACT). Does the contingency mean that she is not top recruit?
                    depends on school. I cannot answer that.

Comment

Depends upon who your kid is, meaning just how good they are, how much the coach wants them, and what the grades of the other recruits look like. Places like Duke, UVA, Stanford etc typically use logic that balances off good grades from some players to offset lower grades from some others. A lot of times that is why they select the walk-ons that they select. I will tell you from experience that if your kid is one of the top ranked kids in the nationwide recruiting class that grades will not matter one bit.

Comment

Depends upon who your kid is, meaning just how good they are, how much the coach wants them, and what the grades of the other recruits look like. Places like Duke, UVA, Stanford etc typically use logic that balances off good grades from some players to offset lower grades from some others. A lot of times that is why they select the walk-ons that they select. I will tell you from experience that if your kid is one of the top ranked kids in the nationwide recruiting class that grades will not matter one bit.
                        ^^this you probably should factor in the academic side of it because at the very top, the coaches really dont. Dont misunderstand me. Academics are very important, but IF you accept an offer at a big time soccer school with great academics, its because you can play soccer. You need to realize it a job for which you are getting PAID and they expect that to be your focus. The rest fits in around that

Comment

LAFC All-in ECNL

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague....018-19-season/

LAFC are ranked #1 this year in the SW Division of GDA in U18/19 and U16/17. The SW is supposedly GDA's toughest competitive division. That has to be a blow to GDA that they are losing the best club in the toughest division.

Comment

LAFC All-in ECNL

LAFC are ranked #1 this year in the SW Division of GDA in U18/19 and U16/17. The SW is supposedly GDA's toughest competitive division. That has to be a blow to GDA that they are losing the best club in the toughest division.
                            Every add/subtract is analyzed in the NE by ECNL people to try and create some spin. Why? How does this impact you ?

Comment

LAFC All-in ECNL

Every add/subtract is analyzed in the NE by ECNL people to try and create some spin. Why? How does this impact you ?

Comment

There is no spin...this is a thread about who is in and out of the leagues. I think it is best for everyone who is involved with (or considering) any of the leagues understand the churn. Are you going to tell me that GDA doesn't care about the clubs (this one was associated with a NWSL team as well) and overall talent quality they are losing?

All this does is just reinforce that talent is fragmented and the current crop are caught in the middle.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X