• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let the fun begin again

Read and have fun with it

https://cincysc.com/us-soccer-mullin...group-changes/

Switch to Grad Year

Switch to Grad year if you want the US to improve. Should’ve gone to grad year a long time ago and numbers would’ve kept climbing.

Comment

One of the dumbest moves ever. Leave it for DA if US Soccer feels the need but let everyone else go back to grade-based teams. Keep more kids playing with friends (they have to enjoy it to want to participate) and stop having thousands of players trapped in 8th and 12th grade

Comment

Changing from grade to birth year was a stupid idea. It actually tore one of my kid's teams in half. I wonder if they can measure a decrease in soccer enrollment as a result?

Anyway, going back is probably the right thing, but will also cause distruption.

U.S. Soccer and such boneheaded decisions is why we can't have nice things.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          One of the dumbest moves ever. Leave it for DA if US Soccer feels the need but let everyone else go back to grade-based teams. Keep more kids playing with friends (they have to enjoy it to want to participate) and stop having thousands of players trapped in 8th and 12th grade
          No one gets “trapped” in 12th grade. “Trapped” 8th graders can play down in the fall.

Comment

No one gets “trapped” in 12th grade. “Trapped” 8th graders can play down in the fall.
            Only if the club allows that. Child will likely not get games. Maybe practice if they are lucky.

Comment

Only if the club allows that. Child will likely not get games. Maybe practice if they are lucky.
              Clubs allow it, it’s commonplace.

Comment

Its not much of a problem here in CT. It is a huge problem in other states.

Comment

Its not much of a problem here in CT. It is a huge problem in other states.
                  Correct. Huge problem! ECNL will switch to “graduation year” so everyone in every state will be on the same page and everyone will also be on the same page with college recruiting. Lacrosse went to the logical graduation year and lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the country. Soccer needs to adapt or continue to lose numbers to lacrosse and other sports.

Comment

Correct. Huge problem! ECNL will switch to “graduation year” so everyone in every state will be on the same page and everyone will also be on the same page with college recruiting. Lacrosse went to the logical graduation year and lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the country. Soccer needs to adapt or continue to lose numbers to lacrosse and other sports.
                    ECNL should switch or will switch? I haven’t read anything about that. Have you seen that published?

Comment

Not at all true. Many 12th graders who've had most of their older teammates graduate already often have a hard time finding a team to play on. Yes some clubs cobble together a U19 team but not many.

Comment

This is still in the early stages of discussion. Nothing is official but for the most part, it seems like most all are supportive of a return to school/grad year teams. Let national team level players play up if they need to for development. Let the rest of the kids enjoy playing with their peers and eliminate all this trapped player nonsense.

Comment

the entire thing was incredibly stupid - glad they are considering going back, but still pissed that it created so much havoc with my own kid (2006)

Comment

i am not super knowledgable about this as my kid is younger. what does "trapped" players refer to?

Comment

i am not super knowledgable about this as my kid is younger. what does "trapped" players refer to?
                              Example: a 2005 player that’s in 8th grade when many are in 9th. The 8th grader needs to “play down” in the fall while their 2005 HS peers are playing HS soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X