Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orlando City tryouts today

So our son was invited out to the Orlando City DA tryouts today and tomorrow, couple of questions for parents with kids in that program
    1. They said we are not allowed to watch and are limited to the parking lot but encouraged to drop off and come back. Is that normal?
    2. We were told it would be two days and then kids selected would be invited back out Monday to train but that they would communicate directly to the players and have not elaborated beyond that. Is this normal, do they not have the couch talk to the parents or hold a parents meeting to explain the selection process?
    Lastly there are about 25 kids out here, our son is in the 2005 group, does anyone know how many spots are open for this age group/ current team? Just want to know what to expect and how many they are selecting.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So our son was invited out to the Orlando City DA tryouts today and tomorrow, couple of questions for parents with kids in that program
    1. They said we are not allowed to watch and are limited to the parking lot but encouraged to drop off and come back. Is that normal?
    2. We were told it would be two days and then kids selected would be invited back out Monday to train but that they would communicate directly to the players and have not elaborated beyond that. Is this normal, do they not have the couch talk to the parents or hold a parents meeting to explain the selection process?
    Lastly there are about 25 kids out here, our son is in the 2005 group, does anyone know how many spots are open for this age group/ current team? Just want to know what to expect and how many they are selecting.
    Were there tryouts for all age groups?

Comment

I would say that not being allowed to watch is normal. I honestly think that kids perform better in a tryout situation without parents watching.

I also think that what you said in the 2nd question is also normal. The coach wills or should, communicate the selection process. For those that don't get selected they will probably also state why not and if they don't, shouldn't be too offended if asked. Don't expect a long explanation, though.

This is off topic a bit but I never watch my kids train either. The only time I ever see them play soccer is at a game or if they're in the backyard knocking the ball around or playing pick up. When they were young and weren't able to drive themselves to training that 2 hours of wait time was often the only time during the day that I had to workout or read. Once they drove the only time I even went to training was if they wanted the commute time to study.

Comment

This MF is answering his own posts. Hahahaha

Comment

I am not really good with ages but I did see an 06 we know over there but there were a lot of 05's and older boys. So I would say mostly older age groups, some looked like full grown men too, lol.
          Also I am the OP and I am not answering my own post.

Comment

If you are a helicopter parent DA and ECNL are not for you.

i stop watching my Kids train at age 10.

You child should also be mature enough to understand simple instruction. That is why the kids are expected to Sign in and communicate with the coaches without mommy and daddy. You have too remember this boys will be traveling with the team the ones with behavioral issues or lacking in some sort of independence will be left out.

As far as spots if your kid is a stud he will get a spot it is all about competition and earning a spot the best should get an offer.

Good Luck to your Son!

Comment

I am not really good with ages but I did see an 06 we know over there but there were a lot of 05's and older boys. So I would say mostly older age groups, some looked like full grown men too, lol.
              Also I am the OP and I am not answering my own post.
              07s are on Monday and Tuesday

Comment

Our son is an 05 as well and is out there, he told us last night it is mostly 05's but that they did have some older players but he thinks they were for the USL side having tryouts.
                They did not tell him or the other players how many they are selecting so no answer to that question. They had about 20 kids there trying out but they already trimmed that down by the end of practice yesterday as they told some kids not to come out today.

Comment

Where are the tryouts being held?

Comment

Our son is an 05 as well and is out there, he told us last night it is mostly 05's but that they did have some older players but he thinks they were for the USL side having tryouts.
                    They did not tell him or the other players how many they are selecting so no answer to that question. They had about 20 kids there trying out but they already trimmed that down by the end of practice yesterday as they told some kids not to come out today.
                    The current 05 team is very poor and the coach has no idea how to motivate or get the best out of his players. That team will be a constant reshuffle and will never produce results. All the top players left last year and this year and the current delusional players will be less than welcoming in fear of being cut.

Comment

Where are the tryouts being held?
                      I believe it's called Osceola Heritage but it is not in Orlando as we thought. Still about 18 kids out here in the 05 group. No idea how many they are keeping and they have not mentioned or shared that as of yet. Our son told us all the kids he talked to were all midfield or forwards, only one defender and no GK's. I hope that helps any other questions parents may have.

Comment

I believe it's called Osceola Heritage but it is not in Orlando as we thought. Still about 18 kids out here in the 05 group. No idea how many they are keeping and they have not mentioned or shared that as of yet. Our son told us all the kids he talked to were all midfield or forwards, only one defender and no GK's. I hope that helps any other questions parents may have.
                        What clubs are these kids at now? There can't be many current DA players trying out?

Comment

What clubs are these kids at now? There can't be many current DA players trying out?
                          Our son plays for La Liga, we see some of his friends who play at R9 but we don't know most of them. I do not believe any are current DA players.

Comment

Our son plays for La Liga, we see some of his friends who play at R9 but we don't know most of them. I do not believe any are current DA players.
                            Best of luck.

Comment

Okay I am going to ask the obvious, why are they having that many kids out for tryouts during the middle of the season? I mean 20 or 25 kids for one age group seems like a total team rebuild to me.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X