X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents run ON field, think they're the VAR ref

I just came home from an NYCSL game.

The game was tight and the ref let the boys get out of hand a bit by not giving out deserved yellows for persistent infringement.

The away team battles back from down 2-1 to take a 3-2 lead on a corner. I won't say the name of the team, but I will call them the Billysburg Select. Before the subsequent kickoff, the linesman calls the ref over and disallows the goal due to a push on the keeper.

Play resumes.

Some Billysburg Select parents do their own VAR review and decide to take 4-5 steps ON TO THE FIELD DURING PLAY to get in front of the linesman to show him their iphone video and prove that the call was bad. Yes, they are arguing with the linesman & shoving a phone in his face, on the field during play.

Linesman feels rightfully threatened, runs away to the ref and the ref calls the game with 3 minutes remaining and the other team about to take a corner.

After the game, Billysburg parents convinced that running on to the field to show the ref their Iphone video was justified because they "got the call wrong" and a linesman shouldn't "reverse such a big call."

After being shown the video and pointing out a clear push on the keeper, parent responds, "this is U15 -- they can't call every little contact with the keeper in the box."

Yay youth soccer!

The minute the parents stepped on the field their coach should have marched over and told them to get the phuk off. They should be banned for X number of games. Ref was right to call the game. Sounds like they let things get out of hand but that doesn't justify the parent's behavior. Refs will never be perfect, not even in the pros, and mistakes are just part of the game. Suck it up buttercup.

Comment

They do it in all sports now. Its usually the giant camera dude with the screen on the back of the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        They do it in all sports now. Its usually the giant camera dude with the screen on the back of the camera.
        Unless something happened that might require criminal charges or say league expulsion, no one cares what parents get on film - not even for a red card. This isn't the world cup. Let the ref call the game in real time. No ref will or should watch film during a game. Parents shoving cellphones in refs faces should be forced to leave the game.

Comment

Unless something happened that might require criminal charges or say league expulsion, no one cares what parents get on film - not even for a red card. This isn't the world cup. Let the ref call the game in real time. No ref will or should watch film during a game. Parents shoving cellphones in refs faces should be forced to leave the game.
          Especially if they’re on the field during the game doing it.

Wonder if NYCSL does anything about it.

Comment

Parents run ON field, think they're the VAR ref

I just came home from an NYCSL game.

The game was tight and the ref let the boys get out of hand a bit by not giving out deserved yellows for persistent infringement.

The away team battles back from down 2-1 to take a 3-2 lead on a corner. I won't say the name of the team, but I will call them the Billysburg Select. Before the subsequent kickoff, the linesman calls the ref over and disallows the goal due to a push on the keeper.

Play resumes.

Some Billysburg Select parents do their own VAR review and decide to take 4-5 steps ON TO THE FIELD DURING PLAY to get in front of the linesman to show him their iphone video and prove that the call was bad. Yes, they are arguing with the linesman & shoving a phone in his face, on the field during play.

Linesman feels rightfully threatened, runs away to the ref and the ref calls the game with 3 minutes remaining and the other team about to take a corner.

After the game, Billysburg parents convinced that running on to the field to show the ref their Iphone video was justified because they "got the call wrong" and a linesman shouldn't "reverse such a big call."

After being shown the video and pointing out a clear push on the keeper, parent responds, "this is U15 -- they can't call every little contact with the keeper in the box."

Yay youth soccer!
            Every parent that went on the field or confronted the ref off the field should be suspended from games for at least next season by the club alone.

Comment

Gawd this is funny. Because, I'll be honest...I had visions of the same thing.

My D's team gave up a PK with literally 20 seconds left of normal time. From my distance, was a horrible call. Ref 10 yards away doesn't call it, despite a clear view. AR from 30 yards away waves his flag furiously, so the Ref blows it. Bad call and a bad way to end a really well-played game. Someone next to me has it on video and we watch it while the arguing is going on. We joke "we should go VAR this fvckin' thing right now". But, of course, we didn't.

Thinking it vs. doing it....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X