Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why doesn’t Ian teach his defensive players to actually play the ball occiasionally to the wing back, other defender or midfield? CM is a terrific athlete, but makes no attempt to control the ball. I watched online and she (and the entire Ridgefield) defense just kicks it out of bounds or over the midfield. No thought of passing out of the back. I blame coach not the defenders. Works in HS, I guess.
    St Joe's coach also preaching the "don't mess around with the ball in the back strategy" - for soccer purists, this kick-and-run style is disheartening, but at the HS level it is very effective.

Comment

“When in doubt, kick it out” is what Ian always says! Don’t worry I know what you’re thinking. Why would you want to turn the ball over to the other team? Well, if you’re in your own defensive third and a risky pass could result in a turnover, or you’re cornered and don’t have the opportunity to make a pass, it’s best to clear the ball out.

If you had made that risky pass or tried to get by the opposing player on your own, you could have lost possession, which could have lead to a scoring chance for the opposing team. By clearing the ball, you provide your teammates the opportunity to regroup and find an opposing player to mark. With your team better prepared to defend, there’s a better chance of regaining possession instead of being scored on.
      How do you beat it? Spread them out?

Comment

St Joe's coach also preaching the "don't mess around with the ball in the back strategy" - for soccer purists, this kick-and-run style is disheartening, but at the HS level it is very effective.
        You play the style your talent allows you to
        To play out of the back you need all 4 to be flawless and your goalie to be smart
        Who has all that?

Comment

You play the style your talent allows you to
          To play out of the back you need all 4 to be flawless and your goalie to be smart
          Who has all that?
          Not many. Certainly not in HS.

I watched my daughter's team try to play out of the back all year. Against weak teams they could control the ball, build into the midfield and play pretty good soccer. when they played a slightly above average team, the pressure would cause huge mistakes. one bad first touch and the whole thing was a house of cards. It lead to lots of easy goals, fouls in the box or in dangerous spots as well as having to defend 15 corner kicks each game.

I hate kids kicking the ball out of bounds but trying to knock it around the back with average HS defenders is simply inviting disaster.

Comment

ok....where do you coach?

You missed 3/4 of the game. Watch it again on CIAC sports, maybe you will learn something. Besides the last 2 minutes when they were in desperation mode and the opening minute when Staples had a free kick within 20 yards of the goal , Staples did nothing offensively in the second half. Ridgefield had Staples defense working hard in the second half. They did not sit back unless you count dropping 11 on a Staples corner kick with under 2 minutes to play and only up by one goal.

They convert set pieces. Set pieces are an important part of the girls high school game, especially as you get further in the post season and teams have more capable defensive players as Staples does
            Sounds alot like that bloated tick ridgefield dad rich

Comment

They gave up 4 goals in 24 games, playing perhaps the toughest schedule in the state. I guess if you were coaching, they would have done better.

I doubt any LL/FCIAC team has ever had as good a defensive record. Ever.
              Where will the Ridgefield back four be playing college soccer? Seems like they would be highly sought after.

Comment

Where will the Ridgefield back four be playing college soccer? Seems like they would be highly sought after.
                Only two are graduating. So 50% will be playing in the Ivy league.

Comment

Sounds alot like that bloated tick ridgefield dad rich
                  Yes....Richard=Dik

Comment

Only two are graduating. So 50% will be playing in the Ivy league.
                    I think the center back is going to Brown, but where is the other 25% going?

Comment

I think the center back is going to Brown, but where is the other 25% going?
                      Not a premier player and not planning on playing college varsity.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X