Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is college soccer more similar to Club or HS

Serious question: Kid goes to a CCC class LL school. The teams we play generally feature larger girls, most with halfway decent foot skills. The HS game is a lot more physical that the ckub games I have seen with a lot of kids getting laid out. The speed if the players up top seems faster at the HS level as well. I'm looking at this and wondering if this is what college soccer looks like? To my eye, club soccer seems a lot more possession oriented, physical but not like trucks running over each other, and a more balanced amount of speed on each side. Which is the more accurate picture?

I'm looking in relation to NESCAC level DIII or 1 level below that.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Serious question: Kid goes to a CCC class LL school. The teams we play generally feature larger girls, most with halfway decent foot skills. The HS game is a lot more physical that the ckub games I have seen with a lot of kids getting laid out. The speed if the players up top seems faster at the HS level as well. I'm looking at this and wondering if this is what college soccer looks like? To my eye, club soccer seems a lot more possession oriented, physical but not like trucks running over each other, and a more balanced amount of speed on each side. Which is the more accurate picture?

absolutely kick and run high school ball. 900 miles per hour like headless chickens

my kid played club and very nice soccer, then went to college a complete joke

Comment

absolutely kick and run high school ball. 900 miles per hour like headless chickens

my kid played club and very nice soccer, then went to college a complete joke
      go to a local game like QU or SHU. HS game on steroids.

Comment

Women's college soccer is unwatchable. It is as stated above, HS on steroids. Check out women's soccer on espn or fox sports apps. They are often on there and any game, including the very best D1 schools, is absolutely atrocious.

Comment

go to a local game like QU or SHU. HS game on steroids.
          100% accurate. Even the "top" college teams in the country play this way. Kick, run, sub, repeat.

Comment

Every single Nescac game is live online. Just go to the conf site and watch a few.

Comment

I had (2) boys play premier. they played teams from California to florida. all teams played great, creative soccer. one in college, one is out. The beautiful game died at college. explains why US national team is horrible

Comment

Very few college programs play good soccer. QU was referenced earlier and actually they keep it on the ground and play relative to other programs.

As far a physicality goes, D2 is typically the most like a roller derby. They don’t have much money and with the exception of a few of them most schools are light academically.

D3 at the upper end is pretty decent soccer. Middlebury, Amherst, Williams and MIT are loaded with kids who had decent D1 prospect but choose these schools for obvious reasons

Any D1 roster is filled with kids that would be the best player at their respective Hs in CT. How it looks on the field is typically up to the coach. CCSU for example has a ton of super athletes. They have an FSA coach so probably not attempting to look like Barcelona

Comment

It absolutely is HS on steroids. The coaches only cares about the wins to keep their jobs and keep the recruits coming in to win more games to keep their jobs. Whatever and whoever it takes to get those wins is what they'll do. They also are more likely to be bullies because they can. With club families writing the checks can go elsewhere. In HS and college you often times can't walk away without losing scholarships and changing schools. From the standpoint of employment I'd argue it's almost worse than HS in that for many, college coaching is their only job. HS coaches are only in it for the season and have other jobs. The fact that our top players often stall in college rather than progress also shows the lack of development in college. Smart players wanting to go pro either skip college altogether or get out quickly. On the men's side many of the draft picks only played 1-2 years of college then bailed. It's not like college football or basketball where top programs have highly paid coaches that could coach professionally they're that good, and college programs are basically farm teams for the pros.

Comment

My kid goes to a NESCAC school. She played at one of the big 3 clubs in CT. She was very used to a possession oriented game. One of the first training sessions at college, she received the ball, saw that no one was open and passed it to a defender on the other side of the field. Suddenly she hears the coach start screaming "we dont play like that - we go forward". So yeah - very expensive HS on steriods....

Comment

Makes me wonder why are we making the kids play possession "build from the back" soccer in middle school and HS (if they do DA) if by the time they get to college it all goes out the window?

Comment

Makes me wonder why are we making the kids play possession "build from the back" soccer in middle school and HS (if they do DA) if by the time they get to college it all goes out the window?
                        Not all clubs teach that way. There's plenty that play "boot it to the fast guy/girl up top" soccer

Comment

My kid goes to a NESCAC school. She played at one of the big 3 clubs in CT. She was very used to a possession oriented game. One of the first training sessions at college, she received the ball, saw that no one was open and passed it to a defender on the other side of the field. Suddenly she hears the coach start screaming "we dont play like that - we go forward". So yeah - very expensive HS on steriods....
                          that coach sounds like 99% of parents at club and HS games

I can't handle the morons yelling "play forward" with the team nursing a 1 goal lead with 5 minutes left

Comment

100% accurate. Even the "top" college teams in the country play this way. Kick, run, sub, repeat.
                            Nonsense. Clearly not watched a top College team then ...

Comment

Let me ask you a question:

There is a ball in front of you. Would you rather approach it, drag it back, do a heel roll, dribble it a little, juggle from foot to foot, a couple of stepovers?

Or, would you rather kick it across the yard and then run after it?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X