Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not the op and understand your points and that nothing will change, but shouldn't it be harder to get into the state tournament than it is to get into the conference tournament? Maybe they should widen the conference tournaments and narrow the state? The idea that you are sitting out of the conference tourney and practicing until states starts seems backward.
    Not the poster either but it isn't that big a difference and only impacts a few schools at the edge. There's also schools that in season have tougher schedules because of location but do decently well in states because they play in a conference with smaller schools.

Personally I'm all for keeping as many kids/schools in the system as possible. It's an important part of the school experience and has many positive benefits from it. It's frigging hard to be a teen these days. Giving teams something to look forward to, even if they only make it to round 2, is a good thing.

Comment

My point?! STJ, Staples and Ridgefield all have to play each other during the regular season. So even if you think the rest of their league is a cakewalk (just ask Staples about Darien, or Ridgefield about New Canaan), those 3 all suffered a blemish on their record playing each other.

And what about the 4 teams that get BYES and easier paths in the brackets? Only Gbury and Southington squared off. Otherwise, zero competitive games in their respective leagues.
      I guess from the tone of the post, your daughters team isn’t one of the top four that get a bye? Sounds like you shouldn’t be concerned as your take is that the top 4 teams are a joke anyway...why even write about it. Just show up and win.

Comment

I guess from the tone of the post, your daughters team isn’t one of the top four that get a bye? Sounds like you shouldn’t be concerned as your take is that the top 4 teams are a joke anyway...why even write about it. Just show up and win.
        not the OP i just hate the fact that we have to play the extra game- ( 90 min of risk of injury to smack around some team we've never heard of)-but its a one and done tourney so you have to send out your studs and take care of the business and hope nothing bad happens

i understand bracketology and how the numbers work so i get it. i also understand the people who think SOS matters and it should

Comment

not the OP i just hate the fact that we have to play the extra game- ( 90 min of risk of injury to smack around some team we've never heard of)-but its a one and done tourney so you have to send out your studs and take care of the business and hope nothing bad happens

i understand bracketology and how the numbers work so i get it. i also understand the people who think SOS matters and it should
          Stop! Seriously

There are programs that work all year to get into this. Perhaps they don’t have a big soccer tradition and only a handful of decent soccer players. For many just getting in makes it a good season.

If your kid is lucky enough to get recruited down the road your perspective will change. Most CT kids are mid major D1 kids and that means they are exception HS players. When they get to college, for most getting to the NCAA tournament is an amazing accomplishment.

Do you think Jay Wright complains to reporters that he has to play a Patriot league school in the first round?

You have a tournament with the teams you like, it’s called FCIAC

Comment

Stop! Seriously

There are programs that work all year to get into this. Perhaps they don’t have a big soccer tradition and only a handful of decent soccer players. For many just getting in makes it a good season.

If your kid is lucky enough to get recruited down the road your perspective will change. Most CT kids are mid major D1 kids and that means they are exception HS players. When they get to college, for most getting to the NCAA tournament is an amazing accomplishment.

Do you think Jay Wright complains to reporters that he has to play a Patriot league school in the first round?

i dont mind the .400 part of it- you got it all wrong
            just reseed based on SOS and then the gaudy records for teams who play no one matter and the teams who play a tough schedule and have mid seeds get a little reward
            it would also force teams who have an OC option to play tougher teams
            jay wright doesnt complain to reporters but he does complain about it

Comment

Stop! Seriously

actually the NCAA reseeds based on quality

Comment

actually the NCAA reseeds based on quality
                Yeah, and the number 1 plays the 16th seed which was the point of the post

Your rant started with a complaint about a blowout first round game. Would you prefer to play an equal team in the first round?

Comment

Stop! Seriously

You are confusing two different arguments...the 400 rule for qualifying and the seeding f the tourney.

I agree with the 400 mark. In fact, this year it effects exactly 3 teams. If the bar was raised to 500 only those three would be impacted. Let em play! I would change it to be 400 OR the top 32 teams, which ever is more, and then that eliminate the Byes in the first round.

The seeding should absolutely include a SoS factor. Just look at Ridgefields recent run. They were in the state semis and 3 finals in the last 4 years. They were ranked 10,6,3 and 7 in those years. Even acknowledging Glastonbury’s deserved #1 ranking in most of those years, the fact that they received exactly ZERO #2 seeds in that time, or that not a single FCIAC team received a #2 ranking, is ridiculous.

Comment

Yeah, and the number 1 plays the 16th seed which was the point of the post

Your rant started with a complaint about a blowout first round game. Would you prefer to play an equal team in the first round?
                    the point was they seed based on quality not only W&L

Comment

You are confusing two different arguments...the 400 rule for qualifying and the seeding f the tourney.

I agree with the 400 mark. In fact, this year it effects exactly 3 teams. If the bar was raised to 500 only those three would be impacted. Let em play! I would change it to be 400 OR the top 32 teams, which ever is more, and then that eliminate the Byes in the first round.

The seeding should absolutely include a SoS factor. Just look at Ridgefields recent run. They were in the state semis and 3 finals in the last 4 years. They were ranked 10,6,3 and 7 in those years. Even acknowledging Glastonbury’s deserved #1 ranking in most of those years, the fact that they received exactly ZERO #2 seeds in that time, or that not a single FCIAC team received a #2 ranking, is ridiculous.
                      Who pays the costs associated with allowing more games? The member schools or the CIAC?

Comment

Who pays the costs associated with allowing more games? The member schools or the CIAC?
                        schools pay
                        but they have to charge starting i believe in the quarters CIAC gets the gate
                        same goes for the final-CIAC gets the gate the school gets the food

Comment

schools pay
                          but they have to charge starting i believe in the quarters CIAC gets the gate
                          same goes for the final-CIAC gets the gate the school gets the food
                          Pretty sure gate is $10 which is a bit rich!

Comment

Pretty sure gate is $10 which is a bit rich!
                            I think it's $8 for adults, $5 students, at least that's what conference playoffs are It does add up if your kids' team is in conference and state playoffs - two adults and maybe a sibling X multiple games. The collections don't go the schools but whatever conference they're in (SWC, FCIAC etc) and the state games go to CIAC. Some schools charge entrance fees for regular season games to help support their booster clubs.

As for "who pays" for playoffs? Schools happily pay for the extra bus trips. It's exciting for the kids and some schools really get behind the teams. Coaches are paid a flat fee for the season. To try and turn this into a cost issue is absurd - it's minimal and 150% worth it.

Comment

What is it with you? Granby outplayed a top LL team who has made the semifinals and finals in their class virtually every year the past 3-4 years and come out with a 0-0. How is it delusional to say they are winning the NCCC and will repeat as M champs? I don’t see anyone in M beating Granby.
                              Ah...perhaps you didn’t see the 10 seed, Weston. Nice prediction, try again next year

Comment

Staples and Ridgefield will be meeting in the FCIAC finals and State finals this season. They are clearly the cream of the crop this season. I know St Joe's has talent and coaching, Glastonbury has added talented Oakwood girls that left GDA and other teams are strong but no one is going to be competing with Staples and Ridgefield. Check back in November
                                I tried to tell you all, but no be wanted to listen.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X