X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiring Managers have news for you

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sorry, but some kids want to challenge themselves athletically as much as they do academically. Kids that want to go to a D3 school because they can play right away aren't challenging themselves. Or they need to accept the fact that they couldn't get an offer from a school that expects stronger athletes. If some kid wants to go to D3 but could have gone D1, and they do it because of the academics, then that's great. However, that's a kid that is playing soccer to go to school, not playing soccer for the competitiveness.
    Seriously? You think life revolves around athletics MORE than academics? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

That's okay the kid graduating from D3 Carnegie Mellon will be the D1 kids boss!

Comment

Stupid comments ...

You just don't get it do you? I'll take an education from a top flight ACADEMIC program than one from 80% of D1 programs.

And yes they have ways to get you scholarship money!
      1. No, they don't have ways to get you scholarship money. If you qualify, yes. If you don't then no. Clearly you don't understand how it works; there are rules. It's not football or basketball were talking about.

2. The D-1 schools often have very challenging academic programs. Because they are large, they have many more majors than small schools. I went to a great D-3 college, one of my DD to a very large college. I envy her choices. Many D-3 schools are as challenging as a community college. Your 80% number is shear nonsense. Every college must be judged on what it is, not what you think it is.

3. I don't think you made to college, because your information is more like urban legend than actual truth.

Comment

1. No, they don't have ways to get you scholarship money. If you qualify, yes. If you don't then no. Clearly you don't understand how it works; there are rules. It's not football or basketball were talking about.

2. The D-1 schools often have very challenging academic programs. Because they are large, they have many more majors than small schools. I went to a great D-3 college, one of my DD to a very large college. I envy her choices. Many D-3 schools are as challenging as a community college. Your 80% number is shear nonsense. Every college must be judged on what it is, not what you think it is.

3. I don't think you made to college, because your information is more like urban legend than actual truth.
        Like most discussions on this forum, it appears people are trying to either convince others that their opinion is correct or put a blanket statement on a personal decision. In my opinion, where your DK goes to school is a family decision. Hopefully an informed decision based on where they believe they want their life to take them and their current abilities; believe being the appropriate word.

The point above about academic choices needs to be clearly understood as I would venture to say most students change their major while in college due to either changing interests or more information to make a better choice for them. If you are at a smaller school and wish to change, you might not have the option you want.

That being said, large schools have their issues as well ranging from large class sizes to social issues that can result from such a large change in a young adults life. But, for some it is the right choice.

All in all, we are in a good place where we have so many choices. I would advise to get all of the information about your options and weigh out every piece of the puzzle. But, let's not say their aren't fantastic D1 schools because there are.

Now, back to soccer. I have a bone to pick with the NCAA. First, that men's game on Sunday was a complete joke. Virginia played a bunker game and let UCLA attack them. If I were even considering sending my son to play for that team, I would pull any commitment back and send him elsewhere. If you can't beat your opposition playing soccer then let the game play out as it should. Complete joke.

Comment

Now, back to soccer. I have a bone to pick with the NCAA. First, that men's game on Sunday was a complete joke. Virginia played a bunker game and let UCLA attack them. If I were even considering sending my son to play for that team, I would pull any commitment back and send him elsewhere. If you can't beat your opposition playing soccer then let the game play out as it should. Complete joke.
          on the other side of that coin, if your team is so great, they should be prepared for a team that is going to play a bunker game, and be able to break them down. if you can't break down, a team playing the simplest game out there, then you aren't that great either. stolz sucked, their two forwards seemed to not have their shooting boots on either (to put it nicely). you should not send your kid to YUCK-LA either.

Comment

You just don't get it do you? I'll take an education from a top flight ACADEMIC program than one from 80% of D1 programs.

And yes they have ways to get you scholarship money!
            I read all this back and forth and I can't help but think that your children are young. It isn't YOU who will be getting an education... it is your child and it should be their choice. Sure you can provide direction but you cannot tell me that if your child wants to play college soccer at a D1 - D3 college that you won't be proud of them even if it is Oregon. Otherwise you are pathetic.

Comment

on the other side of that coin, if your team is so great, they should be prepared for a team that is going to play a bunker game, and be able to break them down. if you can't break down, a team playing the simplest game out there, then you aren't that great either. stolz sucked, their two forwards seemed to not have their shooting boots on either (to put it nicely). you should not send your kid to YUCK-LA either.
              I agree that they struggled with this tactic but at least they tried to play soccer. I am not a UCLA fan but of the two at least they gave it an effort. Soccer is cruel and on Saturday rewarded absolute crap. Let me ask you, who was the better soccer team?

Comment

call the whole thing off

I agree that they struggled with this tactic but at least they tried to play soccer. I am not a UCLA fan but of the two at least they gave it an effort. Soccer is cruel and on Saturday rewarded absolute crap. Let me ask you, who was the better soccer team?
                they both looked technically poor, neither should have been on the pitch. i honestly would say, flip a coin to see who was better. which is basically how it ended. (except that i guess the team that kicks first apparently has a 60/40 advantage. http://www.soccernomics-agency.com/?p=612)

i really liked the providence-ucla match in the semi-finals. though, UCLA looked only a little bit better there.

Comment

Seriously? You think life revolves around athletics MORE than academics? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

That's okay the kid graduating from D3 Carnegie Mellon will be the D1 kids boss!
                  Who said that? I see lots of excuses here for kids not stepping up to the challenge of playing at the highest level. Or lots of excuses for kids who couldn't get offers.

Comment

Kids who challenge themselves don't go to bottom D1 programs, much less D3. Sorry your dd couldn't make it.
                    You do know that you don't just sign up to play? What's the purpose of your last sentence -- just to be jerk? Did it make you feel better? That too proves my point that it's usually parents and not players who get hung up on the DI challenge.

Comment

PS I agree that UVA was disgraceful in the final.

Comment

You do know that you don't just sign up to play? What's the purpose of your last sentence -- just to be jerk? Did it make you feel better? That too proves my point that it's usually parents and not players who get hung up on the DI challenge.
                        That's exactly correct, which if you followed logic, is what was stated earlier. People put down D3 because of the lack of athleticism. Sure there are good academic schools, and that's a good thing. However, D3 does not attract that top athletes. So when people put down D3 offers, that's what they are referring to. The original poster was pointing out the value of the schools, but failed to point out the disparity in athletics. I see an Oregon player on the FSU roster, so there's a prime example of a player being a great student and going to a good school, but also being a top athlete. Sure people who can go to FSU can opt out and go to a D2 or D3 school, but I applaud them for stepping up to the challenge.

Comment

That's exactly correct, which if you followed logic, is what was stated earlier. People put down D3 because of the lack of athleticism. Sure there are good academic schools, and that's a good thing. However, D3 does not attract that top athletes. So when people put down D3 offers, that's what they are referring to. The original poster was pointing out the value of the schools, but failed to point out the disparity in athletics. I see an Oregon player on the FSU roster, so there's a prime example of a player being a great student and going to a good school, but also being a top athlete. Sure people who can go to FSU can opt out and go to a D2 or D3 school, but I applaud them for stepping up to the challenge.
                          I think the player that is going to FSU is a great kid. I think getting a ride to play at FSU is a great experience. However, FSU is far from being consider a very good school. I think they have an acceptance rate around 60%. Putting that in perspective a school like Stanford is less than 10%. I think someone mentioned Carnegie Melon - their accpetance rate is about 25%.

Comment

The player who went to FSU isn't a good example. That's a top player, going to a top program. That makes perfect sense. Just like going to Stanford does, or UCLA. Players with offers to those schools have far more choices and could go nearly anywhere. Most players don't have those choices and that's the point.

An example that illustrates the point is the player going to Carnegie Mellon to (a) go to a top school, and (b) to actually play as opposed to going to some random D1 school just because someone says "D1 is better" or the player can't hack it athletically at D1. My point is that isn't necessarily true and the player could be far better off both academically, and athletically by going to a top school and actually getting to play. That's my view. Others obviously disagree. It does bring the argument that I think is usually parent driven right to the forefront. That is: my kid is different and takes the "challenge" or too bad your kid won't take the challenge or isn't good enough to play D1. The point I tried to make earlier is that the kids tend not to talk that way and seem genuinely happy about the choices their friends and teammates make.

Comment

they both looked technically poor, neither should have been on the pitch. i honestly would say, flip a coin to see who was better. which is basically how it ended. (except that i guess the team that kicks first apparently has a 60/40 advantage. http://www.soccernomics-agency.com/?p=612)

i really liked the providence-ucla match in the semi-finals. though, UCLA looked only a little bit better there.
                              I agree with your last point but your first that it was a flip of the coin, I couldn't disagree more. You honestly feel that UVA was equivalent to UCLA? Again, I can't stand UCLA (to be more honest) but this is more of a critique of a UVA than praise of UCLA. My point is precisely as stated earlier... UVA clearly didn't believe they could actually play against UCLA so chose to bunker in and hope they couldn't break them down due to 10 (and sometimes all 11) players behind the ball. If you are OK with this, we have to agree to disagree.

I would prefer to take the approach of truly respected coaches that would never in a million years go with this tactic. I don't think I need to provide a list of these coaches...

Comment

The player who went to FSU isn't a good example. That's a top player, going to a top program. That makes perfect sense. Just like going to Stanford does, or UCLA. Players with offers to those schools have far more choices and could go nearly anywhere. Most players don't have those choices and that's the point.

An example that illustrates the point is the player going to Carnegie Mellon to (a) go to a top school, and (b) to actually play as opposed to going to some random D1 school just because someone says "D1 is better" or the player can't hack it athletically at D1. My point is that isn't necessarily true and the player could be far better off both academically, and athletically by going to a top school and actually getting to play. That's my view. Others obviously disagree. It does bring the argument that I think is usually parent driven right to the forefront. That is: my kid is different and takes the "challenge" or too bad your kid won't take the challenge or isn't good enough to play D1. The point I tried to make earlier is that the kids tend not to talk that way and seem genuinely happy about the choices their friends and teammates make.
                                You make too many generalizations. Such as it is parent driven. Every parent I've spoken with is letting the kid decide and not pushing them in any direction. Maybe some parents push in one direction or another. But none that I have met.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X