Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are most youth soccer coaches narcissistic?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are most youth soccer coaches narcissistic?

We all hear that youth soccer coaches should focus on development over winning in the younger age groups. However, I have yet to meet one that isn't narcissistic? Seems a lot of coaches berate players publicly in front of other teammates, institute fear based style of coaching - meaning if you fail you get pulled from the game, and have a win at all cost attitude. Kids confidence plummets and they have no desire to play anymore based on how the coach treats them. And I'm talking U13 and younger. I'm beginning to believe great coaches are rare.

We are considering switching clubs but as I observe other coaches from the sidelines, I'm not convinced the jump will be better.

I would love to discuss this in an informative manner without sarcasm.

I am not going to lie, this was not our experience with all but ONE coach ever. However, my A team child was at the top of the state so maybe that doesn't happen as much. My other two played on the B team and had great coaches.

Comment

Ditto. A team coaches typically only worry about wins due to pressure from the club. Of course the clubs wouldn't have to emphasize wins at the early ages if parents weren't crazy for wins and wouldn't switch to a club with more wins in a second.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Ditto. A team coaches typically only worry about wins due to pressure from the club. Of course the clubs wouldn't have to emphasize wins at the early ages if parents weren't crazy for wins and wouldn't switch to a club with more wins in a second.
        +10 for this answer.

Parents drive the thing, they ALWAYS have. Jumping to greener pastures(winning team) every year, creates a system that's reactionary and ALWAYS a year behind.

The club has to have mature enough individuals that don't allow for this to happen by putting checks and balances in place that don't allow for that. The club also has to have folks in place that actually WORK, and provide support WHEREVER it's needed.

Comment

Coaches?

They have nothing on the Board members. Most of which know nothing of soccer or business, rendering them useless.

Comment

They have nothing on the Board members. Most of which know nothing of soccer or business, rendering them useless.
            Says the useless turd whose not good enough to be on the board... Forever lost in a whiny bitch complaining vortex.

Comment

Says the useless turd whose not good enough to be on the board... Forever lost in a whiny bitch complaining vortex.
              If you only knew how true this statement is.

Comment

Not only is the pressure to win from the club and parents high on the first team, but most of those coaches were players and are competitive people. First team parents want to win games, second team parents want their kid promoted to first team.

When my first went through, I stressed out a lot,about it. Number 2 is more enjoyable, less stress.

There are good coaches out there

Comment

In my experience parents think the coaches that don't start their kid are a narcissistic A-holes and the ones that do are super awesome, wise yoda's.

Personally I have found coaches to mirror the population at large. Some good, some bad and predominately mediocre.

Comment

In my experience parents think the coaches that don't start their kid are a narcissistic A-holes and the ones that do are super awesome, wise yoda's.

Personally I have found coaches to mirror the population at large. Some good, some bad and predominately mediocre.
                    Agree, most are mediocre but, don't tell that to an A team coach because your be labeled a whack job parents with delusional thoughts of your child's ability.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X