Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Just win baby!'

No H.S. Varsity sport is about development. It's about winning.

You want your kid to play? Have them hit the gym, eat right, train more and train harder.

Comment

High School soccer is not about player development. It can't be because the season is too short, the time between one season to another is too long of a gap. If a high school coach wants keep their job, in the majority of schools they need to play to win games. This forces them to go with the players which they feel best provide a chance to win.

Just the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        You are a complet idiot. You do realize that you coach to the quality of the team. No one can answer your question as no one knows the overall quality of your team. All I know is that coaches in every HS sport try to win. Period. If your kid sucks, then don't expect much playing time. And yes, that's good coaching. Keep the crappy kids off of the field.
        "You coach to the quality of the team". Another meaningless cliché illustrating the de-evolution of mankind.

Comment

High School soccer is not about player development. It can't be because the season is too short, the time between one season to another is too long of a gap. If a high school coach wants keep their job, in the majority of schools they need to play to win games. This forces them to go with the players which they feel best provide a chance to win.

Just the way it is.
          Who said anything about development?

Comment

when you get to the high school varsity level the goal is to win. Doesn't matter what sport that's the goal. So if you were winning there is no reason to change what worked.

Since I don't know what team your talking about let me say this, it's possible those 11 starters were all seniors, and next year the next 11 best will get all the time. It's also possible those 11 starters were all jrs and soph. and next year's incoming freshman class is amazing and they all the current starters will lose their spots and the freshman take them. That's what happens in high school. any sport.

Comment

when you get to the high school varsity level the goal is to win. Doesn't matter what sport that's the goal. So if you were winning there is no reason to change what worked.

Since I don't know what team your talking about let me say this, it's possible those 11 starters were all seniors, and next year the next 11 best will get all the time. It's also possible those 11 starters were all jrs and soph. and next year's incoming freshman class is amazing and they all the current starters will lose their spots and the freshman take them. That's what happens in high school. any sport.
              Are there people that actually disagree that the best kids should play the meaningful minutes in varsity soccer high school games? Or do they just think their kid is I n the top 13 or so that get any meaningful playing time (and the coach doesn't?) This is a serious question. If you think the lesser quality players should play when the game is on the line, why is that? I really am curious and not wanting to be a jerk.

Comment

No, he's looking for a reason to go bitch to the coach and the AD. He can't face the fact that soccer is no different from anyother team and that every team wants to win. If you have but 11 players who help you do that, then you play those 11 as much as you can. HS isn't about development.
                Not looking to bitch to the coach or AD. Not worth the time or effort. Nothing will fundamentally change. My kid is just fine and gets more than enough playing time anyway. I can face that people want to win. Don't have a problem with that either, but also think there's more to it than that. Just curious about how people like you think. Unfortunately, my worst fears seem to be confirmed.

Comment

Are there people that actually disagree that the best kids should play the meaningful minutes in varsity soccer high school games? Or do they just think their kid is I n the top 13 or so that get any meaningful playing time (and the coach doesn't?) This is a serious question. If you think the lesser quality players should play when the game is on the line, why is that? I really am curious and not wanting to be a jerk.
                  I'm the original poster, and I don't disagree that the best kids should play the meaningful minutes in a varsity soccer game. I do think though, that some coaches take it to the extreme. I also think that a coach should take a roster that he or she is going to work with, not just in practice, but in games. Does that mean that when an important game is on the line the top 11 shouldn't play the entire, or nearly the entire, game? Not at all. Rather, I believe that if the difference between winning and losing a relatively unimportant pre-season game comes down to making a few subs and playing 15 players rather than 11, and the coach can't bear to sub, then there's a probably problem, most likely a coaching issue. Now many will say there's often a big drop in talent when you get to the 15th or 16th players, and maybe even sooner, but then again why roster these players. For practice? How does that make sense. Having your quality players practice against weak players isn't going to make them better. I realize every situation is different, but developing a team for long term success (and I'm not talking about player development), involves more than just rabidly playing 11 players so you can beat the cross town rival 3 - 0 versus 2 - 1.

Comment

Not looking to bitch to the coach or AD. Not worth the time or effort. Nothing will fundamentally change. My kid is just fine and gets more than enough playing time anyway. I can face that people want to win. Don't have a problem with that either, but also think there's more to it than that. Just curious about how people like you think. Unfortunately, my worst fears seem to be confirmed.
                    at what level do you think the game becomes all about winning? Pro? College? Cause it has to at some point that is the definition of a competition.

Comment

"You coach to the quality of the team". Another meaningless cliché illustrating the de-evolution of mankind.
                      You must be referring to the original poster. He's stollen trying to understand why his crummy daughter doesn't get to play.

Comment

A high school coach rosters 20 players. He plays 11 "starters" without fail every game, all who almost always play the entire game. One or two other players see some playing time occasionally, but very limited. The remaining 6 or 7 players maybe see some playing time but only when the game is well in hand. Their total time is probably not more than 60 - 70 minutes at best over the course 15 plus games. Most games they never see the field. They are all capable players, maybe not as strong as the "starters", but perfectly capable club level players. The team wins a lot because it is loaded with talent relative to most other high school teams.

I am curious if people feel this represents good coaching and leadership.
                        It's outstanding coaching and great leadership. On the other hand, I feel sorry for your daughter having to deal with a cretin for a parent. Quite possibly the dumbest question ever on talking soccer. Congratulations.

Comment

It's outstanding coaching and great leadership. On the other hand, I feel sorry for your daughter having to deal with a cretin for a parent. Quite possibly the dumbest question ever on talking soccer. Congratulations.
                          Always telling when someone responds like this.

Comment

Always telling when someone responds like this.
                            Sometimes honesty hurts.

Comment

Sometimes honesty hurts.
                              Yes you are honestly childish.

Comment

Yes you are honestly childish.
                                You are honestly stupid for asking the question you asked. And then kept asking after people answered you. You know why people look at you with irritated looks when you keep asking questions when in a public forum? It's because people hate people like you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X