X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really ????

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    But the Jesuit marketing material says Jesuit is so much better. You don't think they'd lie do you?
    Give us the quote from the marketing material, would you? Don't worry, if your kids are really yours, there is little doubt they wouldn't want to attend Jesuit.

Comment

Give us the quote from the marketing material, would you? Don't worry, if your kids are really yours, there is little doubt they wouldn't want to attend Jesuit.
      Mine didn't. He opted for OES.

Comment

Mine didn't. He opted for OES.
        OES is great academically, but weak at sports. Jesuit is mediocre at sports, mediocre at academics. That's why we chose neither. Everyone has to make their own choice.

Comment

They wouldn't want to attend Jesuit because they learned the basics growing up, like not sitting on the ant pile, don't put your hand on the hot stove and don't go into the bathroom right after grandpa has been in there. Throwing your money awat to fo to Jesuit was just another lesson along the lines of those. Go to a public school with higher SAT scores, there are a number of them.

Comment

OES is great academically, but weak at sports. Jesuit is mediocre at sports, mediocre at academics. That's why we chose neither. Everyone has to make their own choice.
            Actually you are mistaken. Catlin Gabel is weak at sports. Both OES and Catlin have no cut policies though. OES has had decent success in the sports they do offer, (Lacrosse competes against 6A schools (made playoffs), Soccer programs have multiple year State championships and routinely play higher division schools in the preseason and typically win. My son dates a girl on their varsity soccer team and they typically have 4 or 5 seniors play college soccer and have had at least 1 play D1 each of the last 4 years (shes a senior, that's how I know). That's probably comparable or better then most higher division schools. Almost all have either played club or still do, she does at the same club as my son.

Academically, both C.G and O.E.S. are far superior to public schools (in terms SAT/ACT). OES more so then Caitlin, as 1/5 of their H.S. population are dorm kids from around the globe that are speaking English as a second language. It's remarkable actually. But you pay for it. Last I checked, they were almost twice as expensive as Jesuit.

Jesuit has some great advanced classes, very good teachers etc. They get hurt on the academic ranking because it's a large school and a good portion go there because it's a Catholic school. They are not necessarily going to be academic all stars, yet a vast majority 95+% go to college and take the SAT / ACT. Whereas take Beaverton H.S. 35% (guessing) don't even graduate, let alone take the SAT. If those students were forced to take the SAT, their average would plummet substantially. There are most likely a good number that graduate (barely) and are not taking either test as well at Beaverton or pick your public school. If you only took the top percentage of SAT takers (same percent that take it at Beaverton, etc.) you would see a dramatic difference.

Schools like L.O. are the equivalent to Jesuit, except you have to pay a premium for your home to get into that school district. But then at least your home may go up in value, only your tuition goes up at Jesuit.

Comment

They wouldn't want to attend Jesuit because they learned the basics growing up, like not sitting on the ant pile, don't put your hand on the hot stove and don't go into the bathroom right after grandpa has been in there. Throwing your money awat to fo to Jesuit was just another lesson along the lines of those. Go to a public school with higher SAT scores, there are a number of them.
              "Throwing your money awat to fo to Jesuit was just another lesson along the lines of those."

should have read

"Throwing your money away to go to Jesuit was just another lesson along those lines."

Comment

Actually you are mistaken. Catlin Gabel is weak at sports. Both OES and Catlin have no cut policies though. OES has had decent success in the sports they do offer, (Lacrosse competes against 6A schools (made playoffs), Soccer programs have multiple year State championships and routinely play higher division schools in the preseason and typically win. My son dates a girl on their varsity soccer team and they typically have 4 or 5 seniors play college soccer and have had at least 1 play D1 each of the last 4 years (shes a senior, that's how I know). That's probably comparable or better then most higher division schools. Almost all have either played club or still do, she does at the same club as my son.

Academically, both C.G and O.E.S. are far superior to public schools (in terms SAT/ACT). OES more so then Caitlin, as 1/5 of their H.S. population are dorm kids from around the globe that are speaking English as a second language. It's remarkable actually. But you pay for it. Last I checked, they were almost twice as expensive as Jesuit.

Jesuit has some great advanced classes, very good teachers etc. They get hurt on the academic ranking because it's a large school and a good portion go there because it's a Catholic school. They are not necessarily going to be academic all stars, yet a vast majority 95+% go to college and take the SAT / ACT. Whereas take Beaverton H.S. 35% (guessing) don't even graduate, let alone take the SAT. If those students were forced to take the SAT, their average would plummet substantially. There are most likely a good number that graduate (barely) and are not taking either test as well at Beaverton or pick your public school. If you only took the top percentage of SAT takers (same percent that take it at Beaverton, etc.) you would see a dramatic difference.

Schools like L.O. are the equivalent to Jesuit, except you have to pay a premium for your home to get into that school district. But then at least your home may go up in value, only your tuition goes up at Jesuit.
                Interesting. I didn't think OES played sports as you never hear of them doing anything.

Go back to the link posted prior that compares Public and Private. You can get actual data rather than guessing. I would do it for you but I need to get back to work. Believe me there are plenty of Public HS performing as well as private schools, especially when you take everything into account. I personally think it's better where my children go to school (public), that is why we moved there. If you need a religious experience, that's a different story.

Comment

Interesting. I didn't think OES played sports as you never hear of them doing anything.

Go back to the link posted prior that compares Public and Private. You can get actual data rather than guessing. I would do it for you but I need to get back to work. Believe me there are plenty of Public HS performing as well as private schools, especially when you take everything into account. I personally think it's better where my children go to school (public), that is why we moved there. If you need a religious experience, that's a different story.
                  My family goes to church for the religious experience.

Comment

Agreed. There are plenty of public schools who are very good. You don't need to go to a private to get a great education here. Now in other cities around the country, their publc schools are terrible and if you live there, you have to go to private if you want a good education. Our neighbors go to a private school and they don't really know the other neighborhood kids very well because they don't see them much.

Comment

http://www.jesuitportland.org/page.cfm?p=419

http://www.jesuitportland.org/upload...all_report.pdf

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/..._math_hit.html

Invest in your kids. The money you spend on cigarettes and playing video poker is not an investment.

Comment

Invest in your kids. The money you spend on cigarettes and playing video poker is not an investment.
                        Throwing away two or three years of college tuition to attend a school to get an education that is maybe as good as the one my kids get for free is not a good investment.

Comment

Sports-wise they don't offer football, so the smaller private schools fall off of the radar.
                          my dd plays soccer at OES (not dating boy mentioned above.) and the boys have won at least two state championships in the last 4 years. The girls have won 3 in the last four years and was runner up the year they didn't win. They play all preseason matches against higher division schools (valley, grant, etc.) They sent a girl last year to Cornell (D1) and have another going to U of Hawaii (D1) this year that I know of. OES and Catlin are currently ranked 1 and 2 (OSAA 3A) currently. OES girls tennis came in runner up last year, I want to say boys lacrosse lost to L.O. in the semi's, they have had recent state winners in Xcountry and their ski team competes in Metro league and came in something like 4th. But then they have prep school sports like Fencing, etc. Their teams play in 3A as their high schools have less then about 300 kids, unless there are not enough teams (like lacrosse) then they play 5A/6A. Since they don't play all sports in 5A or 6A its hard to compare with the larger well known schools. According to the OSAA website (girls soccer), OES beat Valley Catholic 5 -0, Valley beat La Salle 2-1, La Salle beat Westview 3-1 in the last couple of weeks. I know, this is a stretch and westview went from good to a stinker this year, but you would guess some of the top smaller private schools would be in the middle of the pack of some of their neighboring 5A/6A leagues, even though Westview or Sunset probably have more girls playing soccer then either Catlin or OES have in their entire H.S. I will let someone else comment on the academics, I'm busy.

Comment

Sports-wise they don't offer football, so the smaller private schools fall off of the radar.
                            my dd plays soccer at OES (not dating boy mentioned above.) and the boys have won at least two state championships in the last 4 years. The girls have won 3 in the last four years and was runner up the year they didn't win. They play all preseason matches against higher division schools (valley, grant, etc.) They sent a girl last year to Cornell (D1) and have another going to U of Hawaii (D1) this year that I know of. OES and Catlin are currently ranked 1 and 2 (OSAA 3A) currently. OES girls tennis came in runner up last year, I want to say boys lacrosse lost to L.O. in the semi's, they have had recent state winners in Xcountry and their ski team competes in Metro league and came in something like 4th. But then they have prep school sports like Fencing, etc. Their teams play in 3A as their high schools have less then about 300 kids, unless there are not enough teams (like lacrosse) then they play 5A/6A. Since they don't play all sports in 5A or 6A its hard to compare with the larger well known schools. According to the OSAA website (girls soccer), OES beat Valley Catholic 5 -0, Valley beat La Salle 2-1, La Salle beat Westview 3-1 in the last couple of weeks. I know, this is a stretch and westview went from good to a stinker this year, but you would guess some of the top smaller private schools would be in the middle of the pack of some of their neighboring 5A/6A leagues, even though Westview or Sunset probably have more girls playing soccer then either Catlin or OES have in their entire H.S. I will let someone else comment on the academics, I'm busy.
                            3A is off my radar. They may do very well at 3A. I've never looked.

Comment

This sums it up for the Average comparison between Jesuit and public school Here is what Niche.com has for Beaverton (rate A-) 77% graduate on time.

https://k12.niche.com/t/beaverton-washington-or/

compared to Catlin and O.E.S.

(2070 SAT / Catlin)

https://k12.niche.com/oregon-episcop...o-township-or/
                              (2060 SAT / OES)

Interesting to note OES was ranked #1 private school in Oregon and #13 nationwide. Not other school in Oregon was ranked in the top 100, for what it's worth. It was also interesting to see where those attending college ended up. No stats on Beaverton.

Comment

This sums it up for the Average comparison between Jesuit and public school Here is what Niche.com has for Beaverton (rate A-) 77% graduate on time.

compared to Catlin and O.E.S.

(2070 SAT / Catlin)

https://k12.niche.com/oregon-episcop...o-township-or/
                                (2060 SAT / OES)

Interesting to note OES was ranked #1 private school in Oregon and #13 nationwide. Not other school in Oregon was ranked in the top 100, for what it's worth. It was also interesting to see where those attending college ended up. No stats on Beaverton.
                                snap shot Catlin
                                http://www.catlin.edu/page.cfm?p=715

snap shot OES
                                http://www.oes.edu/uploaded/upper_school/profile.pdf

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X