Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is what is happening at Wa Timbers making you think a change at your club would be go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is what is happening at Wa Timbers making you think a change at your club would be go

I will preface this by saying that I understand not every club needs a change, and some clubs are already heading in a good direction.

I have had a few kids in the Wa Timbers program throughout the years. I was frustrated like many for the last few years, and when they announced they had let go of most the paid positions last year I wasn't sure what to think. I assumed nothing would change and it would be the same frustrations. I know that they are still a long way from where they want to be, but I have to say there is actually hope there now. This year is starting to feel different then the past years. There is a club curriculum coaches are now following (at least the 2 coaches I deal with).

I guess my question is to those who might be frustrated with your club, seeing that so far its been a positive move with this club, is it making you think a big time change in your club in necessary? And what clubs could benefit from this?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I will preface this by saying that I understand not every club needs a change, and some clubs are already heading in a good direction.

I have had a few kids in the Wa Timbers program throughout the years. I was frustrated like many for the last few years, and when they announced they had let go of most the paid positions last year I wasn't sure what to think. I assumed nothing would change and it would be the same frustrations. I know that they are still a long way from where they want to be, but I have to say there is actually hope there now. This year is starting to feel different then the past years. There is a club curriculum coaches are now following (at least the 2 coaches I deal with).

I guess my question is to those who might be frustrated with your club, seeing that so far its been a positive move with this club, is it making you think a big time change in your club in necessary? And what clubs could benefit from this?
    Ours definitely could but our DOC is king, judge and executioner. He caters to the children of board members though so they will never vote him out & don't have the guts to ever (not once!) override him.

Comment

Ours definitely could but our DOC is king, judge and executioner. He caters to the children of board members though so they will never vote him out & don't have the guts to ever (not once!) override him.
      Why stay if you don't like it? Honest question.

Comment

I've been asked that question many times when I brought up my frustrations. Honestly it came down to location. We live in east vancouver, and the closest club is Wa Timbers. Location wise we could make FCSC or Pacific work, but at the age groups even with my frustrations, they didn't have what I felt was better options. There is no way our family could make it work across the river with practices given our work hours. For those reasons we picked what was still the best option in vancouver, but the truth is all the vancouver options weren't great. That is one reason I am happy to see an actual shift in focus and development. I was just lucky it happened where I was at rather than needing to move.

Long answer short, many parents can't afford the time/cost to drive there kids all over the portland metro area, often times the majority of the kids will play at the club which makes the most sense based on location/money. Its not their fault, a lot of hard working people just can't flip there schedule all around.

Comment

Only bigger club in the area.... DOC likes my kids so they are "ok" but club suffering as a whole - need to be checks and balances. Club has outgrown being his "kingdom". Also, kids are on teams with their mates. One kid's coach good. Other kid's team a mess. Waiting to see what happens with birth year. Could get better or worse. Looking to have a back up plan this next year, just in case.

Comment

Our player is probably moving to WA Timbers after this season.

The birth year change, improvements at WaT, and our current team/club situation make it the right time.

It is unfortunate, but the coaches seem to be at the end of their skill set. Both in training and competitive game management. and the club doesn't have the structure or resources to improve this.

Not thrilled about the transition given the history of the timbers in SW WA (and some of the goofball parents) but it is what it is.

Comment

Our player is probably moving to WA Timbers after this season.

The birth year change, improvements at WaT, and our current team/club situation make it the right time.

It is unfortunate, but the coaches seem to be at the end of their skill set. Both in training and competitive game management. and the club doesn't have the structure or resources to improve this.

Not thrilled about the transition given the history of the timbers in SW WA (and some of the goofball parents) but it is what it is.
              It may look like the coaches are at the end of their skillset. Most coaches in the Portland Metro Area are maxed out only because they won't break away from the "old school" ways of teaching the game. The game has changed a lot and there are better ways to teach the game. I see the coaches at Washington Timbers getting better by the week with all of the curriculum and coaching clinics that have been going on. The culture has changed considerably.....just from a parents standpoint, the Washington Timbers have done more parent education and communication in the first 5 months of this season than they have with my previous two kids combined. There is a real club feeling here.

Comment

It may look like the coaches are at the end of their skillset. Most coaches in the Portland Metro Area are maxed out only because they won't break away from the "old school" ways of teaching the game. The game has changed a lot and there are better ways to teach the game. I see the coaches at Washington Timbers getting better by the week with all of the curriculum and coaching clinics that have been going on. The culture has changed considerably.....just from a parents standpoint, the Washington Timbers have done more parent education and communication in the first 5 months of this season than they have with my previous two kids combined. There is a real club feeling here.
                Nice to hear! Have they communicated about the upcoming mandatory change to birth year and given any detailed plans on implementation?

Comment

Nice to hear! Have they communicated about the upcoming mandatory change to birth year and given any detailed plans on implementation?
                  Email should be out any day. It's been sent to coaches for review. Implementation plan is simple. Tryouts next May will be by birth year. Individual play ups same as today - only for the very top players and only with DoC approval.

Comment

Email should be out any day. It's been sent to coaches for review. Implementation plan is simple. Tryouts next May will be by birth year. Individual play ups same as today - only for the very top players and only with DoC approval.
                    Nice! Don't. Like the change but let's get on with it! Simple. Hopefully other clubs will follow suit! 80% of our club has zero idea this is even coming down the pike.

Comment

Certain age groups could be decimated due to the birth year change. If kids want to play up to play with their school aged friends then there could be a lot more kids asking to play up than what happens now.

I guess it comes down to what each club is willing to do. Allow kids to play up or have a hardline "no" so it doesn't destroy age groups?

This will be fun.

Comment

Certain age groups could be decimated due to the birth year change. If kids want to play up to play with their school aged friends then there could be a lot more kids asking to play up than what happens now.

I guess it comes down to what each club is willing to do. Allow kids to play up or have a hardline "no" so it doesn't destroy age groups?

This will be fun.
                        The biggest clubs I think will extremely limit the amount of play ups. If they allow big groups of play ups then it will just destroy age groups for them.

I think the clubs that are trying to create an actual club philosophy rather than a team based one will have a better time convincing players to play at their appropriate ages, verse the clubs that each team is out for their own.

Comment

The biggest clubs I think will extremely limit the amount of play ups. If they allow big groups of play ups then it will just destroy age groups for them.

I think the clubs that are trying to create an actual club philosophy rather than a team based one will have a better time convincing players to play at their appropriate ages, verse the clubs that each team is out for their own.
                          Which clubs are building a philosophy? Wash Timbers. FC Portland. Any others?

Comment

All the "premier" clubs will have birth year tryouts in May and will have strict restrictions on play ups just like now. The reason DoCs so limit play ups now is to form the most competitive teams possible. The severely limited play up policy will stay the same for that exact same reason - to form the most competitive teams possible. That is the purpose of competitive clubs. Everything will be the same except the age groups will be shifted. Rather straightforward.

Comment

Headline?

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around your Headline....***

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X