Clear All

LA GALAXY is evil

http://goalnation.com/carlsbad-unite...axy-san-diego/

Timbers...
    MLS...
    US Soccer...
    We will be assimilated...

Comment

how is this any different then what we have here now with Timbers clubs? Looks the same to me and seems to be working just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        how is this any different then what we have here now with Timbers clubs? Looks the same to me and seems to be working just fine.
        If you want to call total dysfunction "fine", go right ahead. Youth soccer will not improve until the Timbers get out of it completely.

Comment

If you want to call total dysfunction "fine", go right ahead. Youth soccer will not improve until the Timbers get out of it completely.
          Our experience the last few years has been great - both club and league. No league is perfect and there's always bumps in the road but for the most part it's been a better experience then when we were with OPL. Our club has been great (and accommodating a times.) Maybe coming in now or where your currently playing is skewing your opinion. We know lots of happy people at our club, and those that aren't can certainly leave at any time to go where ever they think they will be happy. No hard feelings. I know of more positive experiences at our timbers club then negatives.

Comment

Our experience the last few years has been great - both club and league. No league is perfect and there's always bumps in the road but for the most part it's been a better experience then when we were with OPL. Our club has been great (and accommodating a times.) Maybe coming in now or where your currently playing is skewing your opinion. We know lots of happy people at our club, and those that aren't can certainly leave at any time to go where ever they think they will be happy. No hard feelings. I know of more positive experiences at our timbers club then negatives.
            I agree. My dd was on a timbers team and is still involved with them and it has been nothing but positive. Good people, nice parents, and an overall positive experience. I do think ODP has some issues, but that has more to do with the particular people in charge than in the fact that it involves the Timbers. If they would make one change, it would improve it a LOT.

Comment

If these transitions represented real investment of facilities, staff and $$ by these professional organizations into the development of youth soccer it would be an exciting movement. Unfortunately, all I see is already established clubs being branded by these professional organizations as a marketing tool for both parties. When the entire club staff is retained and left to run the organization, what professional change has really taken place and how have the kids benefited? Would love to see the Timbers use their financial resources to bring top level coaching talent and facilities to Oregon. So far I see neither which is truly disappointing!

Comment

If these transitions represented real investment of facilities, staff and $$ by these professional organizations into the development of youth soccer it would be an exciting movement. Unfortunately, all I see is already established clubs being branded by these professional organizations as a marketing tool for both parties. When the entire club staff is retained and left to run the organization, what professional change has really taken place and how have the kids benefited? Would love to see the Timbers use their financial resources to bring top level coaching talent and facilities to Oregon. So far I see neither which is truly disappointing!
                In all reality, the same should occur with ECNL clubs. I know that other ECNL clubs who have been in the league for a number of years have used the membership to really enhance their programs and to add to their coaching resources and facilities. I know it's but a year into Oregon ECNL, but I don't see much change other than two clubs merging and the teams adding ECNL to their team names. For example, I spoke with a member of FC Dallas and they have added to their resources significantly. He said Dallas Sting and the Dallas Texans have as well. The other two ECNL clubs there have not used the membership well and are going sideways with teams becoming uncompetitive. If Portland clubs don't manage this well, they are never going to go anywhere in ECNL and will become even more uncompetitive than they are now. Similar to what Utah and Boise are doing.

Comment

In all reality, the same should occur with ECNL clubs. I know that other ECNL clubs who have been in the league for a number of years have used the membership to really enhance their programs and to add to their coaching resources and facilities. I know it's but a year into Oregon ECNL, but I don't see much change other than two clubs merging and the teams adding ECNL to their team names. For example, I spoke with a member of FC Dallas and they have added to their resources significantly. He said Dallas Sting and the Dallas Texans have as well. The other two ECNL clubs there have not used the membership well and are going sideways with teams becoming uncompetitive. If Portland clubs don't manage this well, they are never going to go anywhere in ECNL and will become even more uncompetitive than they are now. Similar to what Utah and Boise are doing.
                  The Oregon ECNL clubs could do absolutely NOTHING and they would still be a far better alternative than Thorns Academy or OYSA. The fact that they are doing a lot more than NOTHING is already showing as the ECNL teams are clearly the strongest teams in their age groups within Oregon (by far in most cases) and are competing very well outside of the state.

Comment

The Oregon ECNL clubs could do absolutely NOTHING and they would still be a far better alternative than Thorns Academy or OYSA. The fact that they are doing a lot more than NOTHING is already showing as the ECNL teams are clearly the strongest teams in their age groups within Oregon (by far in most cases) and are competing very well outside of the state.
                    So so defensive that you really missed the point. The orginal statement was that these consolidation plays by MLS clubs aren't improving youth soccer. The comment back was that the same thing might apply to ECNL, depending upon the club and how they use the affiliation. Just being involved in ECNL doesn't help youth soccer of Oregon if the teams aren't competitive and if they don't use the affiliation to improve facilities and coaching. So far, we haven't seen any of that. However, it's one year in so perhaps over time, one or both of the clubs will show this improvement of their resources. Just like Crossfire did in Seattle, and to a somewhat lesser degree, Premier did. Boise looks like they have done nothing and ditto for Utah. This wasn't a discussion about Thorns vs. ECNL, although you sure like to make every thread about that.

Comment

Good, because they ARE doing absolutely nothing. Other than joining a league with teams that provide better competition because THOSE teams ARE doing something. It's too bad the opposite isn't true. I'm sure they are just thrilled to see Oregon on the schedule. "Oh boy, we get to fly to Portland for two crappy games that provide us with no development. Two easy wins that cost me $800. Perfect. At least mom and dad want to go because they see all of these Portland restaurants on the Food Network and they want to spend the weekend eating and touring wineries that are close by."

Comment

OP. I would completely agree that ECNL should be held accountable as well but they lack the financial resources that the MLS franchises could bring to the table if they truly wanted to invest in local youth soccer. Unfortunately, these organizations seem unwilling to do so.

Comment

OP. I would completely agree that ECNL should be held accountable as well but they lack the financial resources that the MLS franchises could bring to the table if they truly wanted to invest in local youth soccer. Unfortunately, these organizations seem unwilling to do so.
                          Not the case at all. MLS franchises also have large expenses. They don't make much money. ECNL has few expenses by comparison. Around the country, there have been a number of ECNL clubs who have who have done really well due to their membership in ECNL and have added tremendous resourses to girls soccer. Other members have done absolutely nothing and are struggling. Generally the ones who have done well are the ones who are highly competitive (to wit, Crossfire Premier, Slammers, etc.), and those who have done nothing are highly uncompetitive (to wit, Las Vegas, Birmingham, etc.). It's too early to say Portland clubs fit in one camp or the other, but in the 18 or so months since being admitted, neither club has made significant changes.

Comment

Not the case at all. MLS franchises also have large expenses. They don't make much money. ECNL has few expenses by comparison. Around the country, there have been a number of ECNL clubs who have who have done really well due to their membership in ECNL and have added tremendous resourses to girls soccer. Other members have done absolutely nothing and are struggling. Generally the ones who have done well are the ones who are highly competitive (to wit, Crossfire Premier, Slammers, etc.), and those who have done nothing are highly uncompetitive (to wit, Las Vegas, Birmingham, etc.). It's too early to say Portland clubs fit in one camp or the other, but in the 18 or so months since being admitted, neither club has made significant changes.
                            But how do they generate the extra revenue to truly afford the changes they need to make? The parents can only afford so much and it's not exactly scalable... i.e. add players add coaches! So the successful clubs have to either sponsor high quality tournaments or find significant corporate sponsorship to really raise the bar. Both are high hurdles!

Comment

But how do they generate the extra revenue to truly afford the changes they need to make? The parents can only afford so much and it's not exactly scalable... i.e. add players add coaches! So the successful clubs have to either sponsor high quality tournaments or find significant corporate sponsorship to really raise the bar. Both are high hurdles!
                              I don't know about the finances. I do know that some clubs have used ECNL membership to really enhance their programs. Crossfire Premier was a very good club before but is even better today. Washington Premier has done well too, but not like Crossfire. FC Dallas the same. SD Surf can be included, as well as a number of clubs. They've added coaches, specialty coaches, facilities, .... to their arsenal of things they offer. I'm not saying our local clubs should match them right away, but they need to show that they are bettering girls soccer. So far, they aren't. All they are giving is better competition and in some instances an extra night of practice. That's not really what ECNL membership should be limited to. Hopefully they do something, but so far, nil.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X