Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coaching abuse - parents, how far will you let it go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No parents of players on the board? I'm liking FCP more and more. We have a board member parent (with no soccer experience) who actually helps decide which players make which teams at multiple age groups based on their own personal preferences/politics. Makes it easier on the DoC's workload though I guess.
    What club is that? That is crazy.

Comment

Figured you'd have to look it up. As for calling my crybaby, I am not surprised. Uneducated people have to resort to name calling. You must be a coach or DOC!
      This is a fun argument. I see both sides...but I am a firm believer in making sure you have enough information as possible when making an important decision. Too many people expect to be bailed out after being an idiot and misinformed. I moved my DD to a different club this year and spent a few weeks asking questions, visiting facilities, and researching coaches. Nothing is infallible, but you do your best as a parent to hedge the bet.

In a "not so nice way" the other person is calling out 2 things: 1) we have the info at our fingertips if you just look a little harder and 2) we have a propensity to place blame on other people for our own faults and expect them to be the one to fix it

I was going to tell you to look up propensity, but that isn't very constructive.

Comment

This is a fun argument. I see both sides...but I am a firm believer in making sure you have enough information as possible when making an important decision. Too many people expect to be bailed out after being an idiot and misinformed. I moved my DD to a different club this year and spent a few weeks asking questions, visiting facilities, and researching coaches. Nothing is infallible, but you do your best as a parent to hedge the bet.

In a "not so nice way" the other person is calling out 2 things: 1) we have the info at our fingertips if you just look a little harder and 2) we have a propensity to place blame on other people for our own faults and expect them to be the one to fix it

I was going to tell you to look up propensity, but that isn't very constructive.
        I've got to tell you that I do my research exhaustively and I am often amazed how parents blindly accept the clubs they go to - blind faith I guess. Here's how I measure a sound program: quality of the coaching and quality of the players. I was the only parent who actually went to this coach's training, stayed and watch. Did this for three weeks (6 practices). Was there more emphasis on tactics or technical? Could the coach effectively demonstrate? How was the relationship with the coach and players? Did he/she talk down or did he/she help the kids learn how to solve problems on the field? I also evaluated the quality of the players. Was the speed of play high? Was their game IQ high? How was their off the ball movement?

I did this and liked the coach's training and the quality of the players, but when we went through three tournaments and discovered that what the coach preached was different than how he applied his approach, we decided to leave before we wasted a full year with this coach. How many times have I seen business managers do research on candidates, interview them, and discover a few months into the job, that they picked the wrong candidate? We did the same thing. We did the research and interviews and discovered two and a half months into it, that we made a mistake on the coach and club.

I can understand why clubs don't want to give refunds because they could potentially lose revenue, but if this club has huge numbers and quality players and they continue to accept new players and adjust rosters, why, in their good conscience, give a pro-rated refund to an unhappy member?

Comment

I've got to tell you that I do my research exhaustively and I am often amazed how parents blindly accept the clubs they go to - blind faith I guess. Here's how I measure a sound program: quality of the coaching and quality of the players. I was the only parent who actually went to this coach's training, stayed and watch. Did this for three weeks (6 practices). Was there more emphasis on tactics or technical? Could the coach effectively demonstrate? How was the relationship with the coach and players? Did he/she talk down or did he/she help the kids learn how to solve problems on the field? I also evaluated the quality of the players. Was the speed of play high? Was their game IQ high? How was their off the ball movement?

I did this and liked the coach's training and the quality of the players, but when we went through three tournaments and discovered that what the coach preached was different than how he applied his approach, we decided to leave before we wasted a full year with this coach. How many times have I seen business managers do research on candidates, interview them, and discover a few months into the job, that they picked the wrong candidate? We did the same thing. We did the research and interviews and discovered two and a half months into it, that we made a mistake on the coach and club.

I can understand why clubs don't want to give refunds because they could potentially lose revenue, but if this club has huge numbers and quality players and they continue to accept new players and adjust rosters, why, in their good conscience, give a pro-rated refund to an unhappy member?

Westside?

Comment

What club is that? That is crazy.
            Sorry, don't want my children on the chopping block! The other board members know and don't agree. Just taking notes & history for now.

Comment

Sorry, don't want my children on the chopping block! The other board members know and don't agree. Just taking notes & history for now.
              I won't disclose the club name because I definitely don't want my kid on the chopping block as this other person has said. Interesting this person would respond because I was the one who started this whole thread. Sounds like there are others with similar experiences.

And, yes, to the person that says this is crazy. It's crazy that these clubs can "take the money" and not look back. No accountability to members. How do they have so much power?

We are thinking of taking this to small claims just for the principle alone. Any attorneys out there? I think we have a case but would like to hear from a contracts lawyer.

Comment

No parents of players on the board? I'm liking FCP more and more. We have a board member parent (with no soccer experience) who actually helps decide which players make which teams at multiple age groups based on their own personal preferences/politics. Makes it easier on the DoC's workload though I guess.
                The other poster was referring to this post. It seems multiple clubs have some bad apples on their boards.

Comment

I won't disclose the club name because I definitely don't want my kid on the chopping block as this other person has said. Interesting this person would respond because I was the one who started this whole thread. Sounds like there are others with similar experiences.

And, yes, to the person that says this is crazy. It's crazy that these clubs can "take the money" and not look back. No accountability to members. How do they have so much power?

We are thinking of taking this to small claims just for the principle alone. Any attorneys out there? I think we have a case but would like to hear from a contracts lawyer.
                  If I research a restaurant, order a steak, eat 1/2 of it then say I didn't like it....well, I would expect the owner to say "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out".

Comment

Perhaps

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                    i've got to tell you that i do my research exhaustively and i am often amazed how parents blindly accept the clubs they go to - blind faith i guess. Here's how i measure a sound program: Quality of the coaching and quality of the players. I was the only parent who actually went to this coach's training, stayed and watch. Did this for three weeks (6 practices). Was there more emphasis on tactics or technical? Could the coach effectively demonstrate? How was the relationship with the coach and players? Did he/she talk down or did he/she help the kids learn how to solve problems on the field? I also evaluated the quality of the players. Was the speed of play high? Was their game iq high? How was their off the ball movement?

I did this and liked the coach's training and the quality of the players, but when we went through three tournaments and discovered that what the coach preached was different than how he applied his approach, we decided to leave before we wasted a full year with this coach. How many times have i seen business managers do research on candidates, interview them, and discover a few months into the job, that they picked the wrong candidate? We did the same thing. We did the research and interviews and discovered two and a half months into it, that we made a mistake on the coach and club.

fcp
                    thusc
                    cf

Comment

If I research a restaurant, order a steak, eat 1/2 of it then say I didn't like it....well, I would expect the owner to say "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out".
                      Having been in the hospitality business for some time I am sorry to hear that your restaurant experience has such a low bar. I would never expect the owner to say that. To each his or her own.

Comment

Your analogy is off target. If I were to use your analogy, I would say that I took two bites. I didn't eat half of the steak. We were only there for two and a half months in the summer and decided to leave three weeks before fall league began. Having eaten two bites of the steak, I would send it back to the chef and expect a new steak or my money back. Horrible analogy.

Comment

Your analogy is off target. If I were to use your analogy, I would say that I took two bites. I didn't eat half of the steak. We were only there for two and a half months in the summer and decided to leave three weeks before fall league began. Having eaten two bites of the steak, I would send it back to the chef and expect a new steak or my money back. Horrible analogy.
                          You can expect lots of things. But you probably signed a piece of paper saying that you'd pay the full amount no matter what. Pay up.

Comment

You can expect lots of things. But you probably signed a piece of paper saying that you'd pay the full amount no matter what. Pay up.
                            A piece of paper means nothing, especially if the policy is inherently flawed. People sign contracts all the time and prove that contracts or policies are unenforceable due to flaws or services or products not delivered or if the organization did not fully disclose key information at the signing of the contract.

There have been many historical examples of this.

You sound immature by saying "pay up." You must be an inexperienced DOC that has no sense of how to run a business.

Comment

A piece of paper means nothing, especially if the policy is inherently flawed. People sign contracts all the time and prove that contracts or policies are unenforceable due to flaws or services or products not delivered or if the organization did not fully disclose key information at the signing of the contract.

There have been many historical examples of this.

You sound immature by saying "pay up." You must be an inexperienced DOC that has no sense of how to run a business.
                              What is the material breach then?

Comment

Waaaaaa

Waaaaaaaa my little baby got yelled at....waaaaaaa

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X