Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a couple things,

First I don't care when the scores are posted, I want to know what changed with the system that it's different than last spring?

Second, if you don't have scores and points and standings how do you decide what teams play each other? You have to have some sort of way of figuring out what teams are in what division so there is as much equality across the division and you don't get big blow out games that are not beneficial to the development of anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Of the 3,000,000+ players registered with US Youth Soccer, 85% are under 14...
      And I bet most of them want to play games to win - not just scrimmage. Even in kindergarten red soccer no scores were officially kept but the kids on both sides kept basic track and always knew who won. The only difference was, if the game was even remotely close, both sides left telling their parents "We won!!" with huge smiles on their faces. There was no record to prove them right or wrong.

The only way to eliminate winning/losing in soccer would be to remove the goals and just play keep away. The kids might all learn better foot skills and passing skills but even more would drop out of soccer even sooner. Let's be serious. I bet the little kids playing pick up games in the streets of Rio keep score!

Comment

Games have winners and losers. Kids (and parents too!) like to compete. Almost all kids prefer games to practice because "games matter" and are "more fun". If you take away scores, you will take away the joy of the game. Ask the 3 million kids who play soccer if they'd rather play games that count or just friendlies all season. No surprise what the response would be. Same reason tic-tac-toe gets so boring so quickly - nobody wins or loses!

It might be better for individual development but NOT if the kids don't enjoy playing only friendlies. As a parent, I'd love it because we could stay home every weekend and just practice scrimmage or play friendlies nearby & eliminate all the travel

While we're at it, let's not have kids actually race each other in track until u15. And don't keep or post times either. Just have the kids individually run the distances over and over - they will develop more as individual athletes and won't be disadvantaged by all this unnecessary "competition"! These are sports games that our kids play for fun (and to win!). Just keep it all in perspective - they are games! Having all our kids not be able to experience the joys of victory othe agonies of defeat because it may stunt their possible full-development into national team players is ridiculous! More than 70% of kids quit soccer already because it isn't fun anymore....
        Personally I don't want to take away scores. Keep scores. But lets throw out the standings? wouldn't that solve the issue? Kids still get the fun of competing, and they know if they won or loss. But at the same time if we stop keeping standings then hopefully that will encourage more coaches to worry about whats at hand instead of proving they are better than their rival.

Realistically what this comes down to is coaches who don't really care where they land in the standings, and more care about how their team plays in each game. Yes htey want to win those games, but they judge their team on performance each game, vs coaches who need to win each game and finish at the top of standings to prove they are doing a good job, regardless how their team looks.

Comment

And I bet most of them want to play games to win - not just scrimmage. Even in kindergarten red soccer no scores were officially kept but the kids on both sides kept basic track and always knew who won. The only difference was, if the game was even remotely close, both sides left telling their parents "We won!!" with huge smiles on their faces. There was no record to prove them right or wrong.

The only way to eliminate winning/losing in soccer would be to remove the goals and just play keep away. The kids might all learn better foot skills and passing skills but even more would drop out of soccer even sooner. Let's be serious. I bet the little kids playing pick up games in the streets of Rio keep score!
          Putting teams into divisions really shouldn't be that hard. I'm not against putting them into divisions, but does it matter what the standings are in it? Now this is the hard part though, coaches have to be willing to do whats best for their team. Meaning if I'm clearly in the wrong division and getting destroyed I have to realize even if it means calling my team a lower division team its best for their development. At our club we put 4 teams into different division for our age group and so far all of them have had competitive games in their given divisions. It looks like the coaches suggested the right divisions for their teams. I have no clue where each team stands in those divisions, just that when talking to the parents htey say all their games have been close.

Comment

Putting teams into divisions really shouldn't be that hard. I'm not against putting them into divisions, but does it matter what the standings are in it? Now this is the hard part though, coaches have to be willing to do whats best for their team. Meaning if I'm clearly in the wrong division and getting destroyed I have to realize even if it means calling my team a lower division team its best for their development. At our club we put 4 teams into different division for our age group and so far all of them have had competitive games in their given divisions. It looks like the coaches suggested the right divisions for their teams. I have no clue where each team stands in those divisions, just that when talking to the parents htey say all their games have been close.
            Our club also has teams in a bunch of different divisions but things get a bit dicy when you have a team that should or could be in the top division or one who's parents and coaches think they could or should be in that top division, that's why qualification for it (like there is now some what) is good.

Comment

It has been discussed many times at the top level to stop recording and posting scores under U15. In fact it was on the agenda very recently. I think that would be a very valuable change.

None of it matters.

Team scores are irrelevant. It is the development of the individual player that is important. Scores and standings and trophies only fuel nutty behavior by adults.
              This is coming but not probably until next year. We need to focus on individual development and stop worrying about wins and loses.

Comment

This is coming but not probably until next year. We need to focus on individual development and stop worrying about wins and loses.

Wow. If they can get this done it will improve soccer immensely. This renews my faith in our leaders.

Comment

Timbers clowns could screw up the Lord's Prayer. Here it is Tuesday and no scores posted. We know they've been input as the "Standings" screen is updated. Why no scores???

If you can't get the little things right, how can we believe you'll get the important stuff right?

Comment

Timbers clowns could screw up the Lord's Prayer. Here it is Tuesday and no scores posted. We know they've been input as the "Standings" screen is updated. Why no scores???

If you can't get the little things right, how can we believe you'll get the important stuff right?
                    I think the upload button is as elusive as the net for the timbers.

Comment

I think the upload button is as elusive as the net for the timbers.
                      Yep. Couldn't manage a p!ss-up in a liquor store. Thorns is example #1. Timbers 1st team is example #2. Youth league is example #3. ODP is example #4. Need I go on?

Comment

Important stuff? You mean like being able to cite chapter and verse of the Bible, using your Lord's Prayer example.

Comment

seems like OYSA front office must have taken a holiday yesterday and today

Comment

seems like OYSA front office must have taken a holiday yesterday and today
                            They've been on a mental holiday for years.

#OPLreallywasbetter

Comment

Anyone know when the Nov 1 onward schedule will be posted? Do managers have this already?

Comment

Anyone know when the Nov 1 onward schedule will be posted? Do managers have this already?
                                Everyone has it and it's posted on the OYSA website. It's been up for three weeks

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X