Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Younger players usually aren't getting much PT on V so that then reduces the risk of injury. JV soccer can be more of a WWE match, but sitting on the V bench isn't good for your development either. The HS season is long and tiring no matter how old you are, but if you want to be able to play in college you have to find a way to get through, plus keep up with your classwork
    OP here. Mine is currently starting on varsity. And yes the schedule is brutal and playing against older kids is an eye opener in terms of speed and sheer mass on the ball.

Thank you to the people who actually said something helpful vs the people who assumed I was making this up. I’m not. I’m just a normal parent who had an eye opening intro to isl soccer and wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

And yes I was cagey about gender because half the people on this board seem to take enjoyment in little else than ripping into parents just trying to collect some wisdom from those that have been through it before.

Comment

Perhaps your child wouldn't have made the team at a stronger school.
      Would have made the team, probably would not have started at the top two. Had very frank conversations with the coaches at every school we applied to so this kind of doubt isn’t currently my problem.

Comment

Would have made the team, probably would not have started at the top two. Had very frank conversations with the coaches at every school we applied to so this kind of doubt isn’t currently my problem.
        Dont' expect that kind of honesty if he/she tried to get recruited. They'll all tell your kid they're the "top recruit". Good luck to your player. It will all work out fine, and keep reminding yourself that in the end the education is what matters.

Comment

Well, congrats to your kid who will be far more successful later in life since he is attending a strong academic school and will also be able to say that he played sports. Maybe he will even be a captain/leader which is something that colleges love. Perhaps he might even 'pick up another sport' and be a well rounded child. Sure, he might be bringing home a state champion trophy or conference title. Maybe he won't be an all-scholastic soccer player.
          But, it sounds like he will fair far better than about 99% of his peer group in the New England area......
          So many blinkered assumptions being made here. So much smarmy arrogance.

Comment

We knew it wouldn't be pretty and my kid picked the school knowing the soccer team would not be great. But oof. It is so hard to watch. What does your kid do if he/she plays for a bad highschool team to keep their skills sharp and not get into bad habits so that when spring rolls around they can jump back into club soccer without having to play catch up?
            HS season is max 12 weeks long and the better clubs may well play from November thru July, so , while , as a fellow over anxious parent, I totally understand your concern, it may be misplaced! They may take a short time to catch up to the pace at club level, but they won’t lose their skill set.
            Soccerwise, your kid may well benefit from more playing time and more responsibility than might be the case at a club. More touches translates to better technique which will be useful at club level.
            Plenty strong club players play on weak ISL teams without diminution in their skills.

Comment

HS season is max 12 weeks long and the better clubs may well play from November thru July, so , while , as a fellow over anxious parent, I totally understand your concern, it may be misplaced! They may take a short time to catch up to the pace at club level, but they won’t lose their skill set.
              Soccerwise, your kid may well benefit from more playing time and more responsibility than might be the case at a club. More touches translates to better technique which will be useful at club level.
              Plenty strong club players play on weak ISL teams without diminution in their skills.
              Thank you for your input. Coach made them sprint all of practice after a disappointing game Saturday so at least fitness won't be an issue!

Comment

Thank you for your input. Coach made them sprint all of practice after a disappointing game Saturday so at least fitness won't be an issue!
                My kids all play(ed) different positions than they have in club. That's makes them stronger players. And no fitness coming off the HS isn't an issue at all. Three's a lot of games in a short amount of time, but that's what college is like too.

Comment

At nearly all clubs all the other players are HS players too. They come in fit and a little banged up and with a tweaks will be fin. No big deal as there's not too much club activity Nov/Dec

Comment

HS soccer is a waste of time. Train with your club and rest up after a long cup season. HS 6 days a week is like asking for an injury.
                    Wrong.
                    Allow your player to be selfish:they may not have that opportunity at club (and they shouldn’t)

Comment

Wrong.
                      Allow your player to be selfish:they may not have that opportunity at club (and they shouldn’t)
                      I wonder if you mean things like holding onto the ball longer than they normally would? Taking on kids 1 v 1 when they would normally pass in club. Taking more shots rather than sending the ball up to a striker to deal with? It is interesting and I think if that's what you mean I am going to encourage my kid to do this. If HS can be viewed as a way to improve 1 v 1 skills maybe it can work.

Comment

Wrong.
                        That always goes over well with your classmates.

"Why doesn't Cindy pass?"

"Because this is just HS and everyone stinks, so she can be selfish now, not with her real team."

Good luck with that mom.

Comment

"Because this is just HS and everyone stinks, so she can be selfish now, not with her real team."

Good luck with that mom.
                          ha!!

you're just lucky i'm slummmin it by playing for the school anyway

Comment

Good luck with that mom.
                            I disagree. If everyone else is just kicking the ball vs actually passing it no one is going to notice if Cindy keeps it a little longer and tries to make something happen vs kicking it up the field like everyone else. My kids team literally cannot connect A SINGLE pass if it isn't the three ECNL players passing to each other one, two, three. They simply kick the ball up the field and surprise the other team gets to it first 90% of the time.

Comment

I disagree. If everyone else is just kicking the ball vs actually passing it no one is going to notice if Cindy keeps it a little longer and tries to make something happen vs kicking it up the field like everyone else. My kids team literally cannot connect A SINGLE pass if it isn't the three ECNL players passing to each other one, two, three. They simply kick the ball up the field and surprise the other team gets to it first 90% of the time.
                              Seems like a total waste of time. You are just going to play with your club teammates while wearing school colors.

Someone explain to me what that purpose is, because I am really interested.

Comment

Seems like a total waste of time. You are just going to play with your club teammates while wearing school colors.

Someone explain to me what that purpose is, because I am really interested.
                                Don't know. This is our first experience and we are wondering the same thing. I thought the point was to have fun with your school mates and enjoy being on a team. Club team is impossible to really have friends on as everyone lives scattered to the four corners with some driving up to 2 hours to get to practices.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X