Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I would look up near Shoreline, and Edmonds area. Consider the the light rail system going through Northgate, 130th, 145th and Lynnwood. Northgate will be finished soon. Shoreline schools like Shorewood and Shorecrest are fine. Edmonds-Woodway has IB program. Decent hs soccer programs at Shorewood, Shorecrest, and Edmonds. Housing is more affordable.
    Seattle United is best bet, but like others have said, no set fields.

What is your timeframe? Like now?
    You can always ask for a practice session with the team since you are out of town and see if she can fit. Don't know how feasible it is, but something to consider. ECNL is not in session until after hs soccer season around Nov. Not sure if the clubs will allow additional players to ECNL, but studs make their own rules.
    Good to know. She’s in IB now so that would be a bonus. Timeframe wouldn’t be until the start of 2020 but good idea to try to scope out some practices before then. She’s pretty solid so I think at least one of the ECNL teams will want her but team needs and space availability could definitely be an issue. I figure Seattle is big enough that there is bound to be a good fit somewhere.

Public transportation was a good idea for commuting. On that order, any chance that any of the practice facilities can be accessed by public transport?

Comment

West Seattle neighborhood (Seattle). PacNW soccer club. West Seattle High School.
      I strongly agree with this suggestion, on all fronts.

Comment

Public transport probably not a real option. In Seattle it's mainly bus

Comment

Public transport probably not a real option. In Seattle it's mainly bus
          Thanks. It was worth a shot.

Comment

I strongly agree with this suggestion, on all fronts.
            These all looked good but the housing might be out of our price range. With college expenses coming up quickly.... I’ll research the West Seattle High School boundaries and maybe can extend the search area.

Also, is it at all possible to transfer into a different school or are you 100% stuck at your neighborhood school?

Any good private schools in/near Tukwila? That would put us close to PACNW and money saved on housing could be used for private school. Just thinking outside the box...

Comment

Kennedy is a private Catholic high school and not far from Tukwila.

Comment

You might want to consider further south - more home for money. Look at Puyallup and Sumner. Both have decent public high schools and the local soccer club is Washington Premier FC with their own fields. You can take the train into Seattle.

But, I agree West Seattle is ideal. Close to downtown and West Seattle High School is a good public school.

Comment

Have a look at Eagleclaw. Practices at Starfire Sports, which is a great facility. www.eagleclawfc.org
                  Since a URL was included, I'll take that this wasn't done for laughs. Please read the thread next time before posting.

Comment

Annie Wright in Tacoma might be possible private option from Tukwila.

It's really hard to transfer into a "desirable" public school. We know of several families who have cheated the system to get into Garfield HS by basically buying condos & claiming them as main residences.

Franklin HS in South Seattle is much better than it's reputation & sends more kids to UW than any other public school in the city but it's majority students of color, so if your child is white and would be uncomfortable being in the minority at a big school, that's something to consider. If she would thrive in a diverse setting and you like the neighborhood, which has a lot of lovely homes near Lake Washington and is accessible to downtown, 5, and 90, check it out. There are IB programs at Rainier Beach HS (also majority students of color, but with a lot of issues because the city doesn't support the school, for one thing) and Ingraham up north. Not sure if there are others.

Comment

For what it's worth I agree with the comments stating you're doing it wrong if you're picking your house based on the soccer club. Soccer clubs seems to come and go and ebb and flow around here. Get you a house in a nice area, one you can afford, and figure out where your kid can go have fun from there. There's tons of clubs and options. IMO.

Comment

You might want to consider further south - more home for money. Look at Puyallup and Sumner. Both have decent public high schools and the local soccer club is Washington Premier FC with their own fields. You can take the train into Seattle.

But, I agree West Seattle is ideal. Close to downtown and West Seattle High School is a good public school.
                        It is also very easy to get from Pierce County to PacNW, because you're going against the flow of rush-hour traffic. We know several families that make this trip for Sounders and club training.

Comment

For what it's worth I agree with the comments stating you're doing it wrong if you're picking your house based on the soccer club. Soccer clubs seems to come and go and ebb and flow around here. Get you a house in a nice area, one you can afford, and figure out where your kid can go have fun from there. There's tons of clubs and options. IMO.
                          Agree 100%. Find a house and a high school first. Although clubs in general draw from their area, at top levels there is a lot of travel for a particular team or coach. I know multiple Seattle girls that play(ed) at Xfire and Eastside. On the flip side, there are SU boys teams with kids from Everett to Federal Way.

Two more points-
                          1. Look at Aviation High School just south of Seattle city line. Kids from multiple towns go there, application + lottery to get in but I would bet that they try to even the gender mix and girls coming in may have an advantage. Great Academics. Other high academic public high schools in Seattle (Garfield) and Bellevue.

2. it is not really "big city" driving here for kids. The traffic on the highways keeps it relatively slow. Mine quickly got comfortable driving all over.

Comment

Agree 100%. Find a house and a high school first. Although clubs in general draw from their area, at top levels there is a lot of travel for a particular team or coach. I know multiple Seattle girls that play(ed) at Xfire and Eastside. On the flip side, there are SU boys teams with kids from Everett to Federal Way.

Two more points-
                            1. Look at Aviation High School just south of Seattle city line. Kids from multiple towns go there, application + lottery to get in but I would bet that they try to even the gender mix and girls coming in may have an advantage. Great Academics. Other high academic public high schools in Seattle (Garfield) and Bellevue.

2. it is not really "big city" driving here for kids. The traffic on the highways keeps it relatively slow. Mine quickly got comfortable driving all over.
                            Thank you and everyone else. Lots of good info. Looking into everything more today.

Comment

Thank you and everyone else. Lots of good info. Looking into everything more today.
                              Are all the high schools really big? Do any have better reputations for inclusivity/kindness? And any ones to avoid due to too much drug & alcohol culture? One nice thing about playing sports is they’ll meet new friends easily but you don’t get the social vibe reading the stats pages on the various high schools.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X