Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Carli Lloyd ever kick a field goal in the NFL?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Carli Lloyd ever kick a field goal in the NFL?

Is there any chance a football team takes a chance on her? As she’s phased out of the USWNT will she feel the need for a new challenge? I don’t know if the super-sub role will meet her expectations for herself.

No. It was a nice little PR piece to show women "can play men's sports." Don't forget they're going to court for equal pay. Hitting the mark in a no stress situation is one thing, real time is another. Then there's the safety issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Is there any chance a football team takes a chance on her? As she’s phased out of the USWNT will she feel the need for a new challenge? I don’t know if the super-sub role will meet her expectations for herself.
      Seriously doubt it. It’s good press, but the NFL really doesn’t want to put females in a position where they can be seriously injured. It’s not about whether she can kick a ball, it’s whether she can take a hit when something goes wrong. Can you imagine what it would do to the NFL’s image if there is a bad snap or something and fans watch a female soccer legend get creamed? If any women was going to do it though, it would be Lloyd. She’s tough and has always followed her own path. She really is one of the last of the old school “gimme the ball and I’ll singlehandedly make a big play” players, which is why the USWNT still relies on her.

Comment

No. It was a nice little PR piece to show women "can play men's sports." Don't forget they're going to court for equal pay. Hitting the mark in a no stress situation is one thing, real time is another. Then there's the safety issue.
        Hitting the mark taking a 5 step run up is way different then making a 2 step 50 yard kick.

Comment

Hitting the mark taking a 5 step run up is way different then making a 2 step 50 yard kick.
          Exactly. No offense to her but it's much different in a game situation. I remember Tony Meola giving it a go, and it went horribly.

It's a neat story and all, but not based in reality.

Comment

whats the safety issue? can't hit a kicker during kick, and in the very uncommon case of a runback, no one expects the kicker to do anything (see: janikowski, s.)

Comment

Seriously doubt it. It’s good press, but the NFL really doesn’t want to put females in a position where they can be seriously injured. It’s not about whether she can kick a ball, it’s whether she can take a hit when something goes wrong. Can you imagine what it would do to the NFL’s image if there is a bad snap or something and fans watch a female soccer legend get creamed? If any women was going to do it though, it would be Lloyd. She’s tough and has always followed her own path. She really is one of the last of the old school “gimme the ball and I’ll singlehandedly make a big play” players, which is why the USWNT still relies on her.
              holy s**t i can't believe you actually just said the nfl doesn't want someone to get seriously injured. the nfl doesn't give a crap about anything except their shiny shield. lol wake up dude.

Comment

holy s**t i can't believe you actually just said the nfl doesn't want someone to get seriously injured. the nfl doesn't give a crap about anything except their shiny shield. lol wake up dude.
                They don't want a woman to be seriously injured (well, except for the girlfriends and wives of players, they don't care about them). PR nightmare that isn't worth the risk. She isn't a viable prospect regardless for reasons discussed above. It was very much a feel good story for girls.

Comment

They don't want a woman to be seriously injured (well, except for the girlfriends and wives of players, they don't care about them). PR nightmare that isn't worth the risk. She isn't a viable prospect regardless for reasons discussed above. It was very much a feel good story for girls.
                  The average fat NFL fan sitting on his couch saw her easily make a 55yard field goal and said to himself, "holy sh*t, there's no way I could do that..." However, there are thousands of male soccer players in the US alone that can make that same kick more easily than Lloyd does. They have greater leg strength, the same accuracy, and could better handle a botched play where they might get hit. Lloyd is an exceptional athlete who is terrific in pressure situations, so she may have an advantage over many people in that regard. But this is strictly a feel good story for girls and building the female fan base for the NFL. If it were about finding the best kicking prospect from outside the college football ranks, they would be parading male soccer players in by the dozen long before considering Carli Lloyd.

Comment

The average fat NFL fan sitting on his couch saw her easily make a 55yard field goal and said to himself, "holy sh*t, there's no way I could do that..." However, there are thousands of male soccer players in the US alone that can make that same kick more easily than Lloyd does. They have greater leg strength, the same accuracy, and could better handle a botched play where they might get hit. Lloyd is an exceptional athlete who is terrific in pressure situations, so she may have an advantage over many people in that regard. But this is strictly a feel good story for girls and building the female fan base for the NFL. If it were about finding the best kicking prospect from outside the college football ranks, they would be parading male soccer players in by the dozen long before considering Carli Lloyd.
                    again the whole "botched play" clutching pearls. seriously why is this being brought up? matt bryant is a 44 year old 5'9" dude and no one is like, wow, crazy that james dolan is out there kicking FGs.

Comment

Exactly. No offense to her but it's much different in a game situation. I remember Tony Meola giving it a go, and it went horribly.

It's a neat story and all, but not based in reality.
                      Not sure if you remember the Bahrs (Matt and Chris). Matt played for the Patriots at one point. They made the rounds in the NFL as placekickers and were soccer players in college. They attended Penn State I believe.

Comment

Not sure if you remember the Bahrs (Matt and Chris). Matt played for the Patriots at one point. They made the rounds in the NFL as placekickers and were soccer players in college. They attended Penn State I believe.
                        That was the thing long ago. Since, kickers are trained as kicked now; not just washed up soccer players for the most part.

Comment

That was the thing long ago. Since, kickers are trained as kicked now; not just washed up soccer players for the most part.
                          Sure, but the Bahrs were great at place kicking. History has a habit of repeating itself. Also, I've seen some rugby players in the NFL, too, trying some place kicking. Everyone wants to tap into that undiscovered resource before their opponents.

Comment

Sure, but the Bahrs were great at place kicking. History has a habit of repeating itself. Also, I've seen some rugby players in the NFL, too, trying some place kicking. Everyone wants to tap into that undiscovered resource before their opponents.
                            Why stop there? Lets go back to the toe-kicker then.........

Comment

Why stop there? Lets go back to the toe-kicker then.........
                              Why not? Btw both of the Bahr's were part of multiple Superbowl wins. Just saying...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X