Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thorns are too cheap to have interns; and if they did have interns, they wouldn't be writing about how management are cheapskates.

Tool.
    Timbers are a beer and hog dog company. They sell a lot that I see consumed at every game. They should have enough money to hire interns to monitor this website.

Comment

Interns cost thorns nothing. Oregonian wrote an article.

Comment

Interns cost thorns nothing. Oregonian wrote an article.
        I hope all your dds make college!

Comment

Alright folks what was west Salem vs south Salem score ?

Comment

Timbers are a beer and hog dog company. They sell a lot that I see consumed at every game. They should have enough money to hire interns to monitor this website.
            The Timber do have plenty of money. I assume MP's sugar daddy would probably buy MP whatever he wants?

Comment

Alright folks what was west Salem vs south Salem score ?
              8-0 West. 5 goals scored in first 10 mins by West’s new star. 100% guess.

Comment

The Timbers sell massive quantities of beer at massive mark ups.

I don't know anything about hot dogs but I will take your work at it.

As long at they have the Army, they will get on TV and that is where the big money is.

Selling beer and dogs is not a bad way to make piles of cash if you have never achieved anything else in life.

Comment

The Timbers sell massive quantities of beer at massive mark ups.

I don't know anything about hot dogs but I will take your work at it.

As long at they have the Army, they will get on TV and that is where the big money is.

Selling beer and dogs is not a bad way to make piles of cash if you have never achieved anything else in life.
                  Supply and demand. People want beer and that is the primary reason most people are there. So price a pint at $8, $9, $10, $11, $12...etc and see if people keep buying them.

Buy a pint for fifty cents and sell for twelve dollars. Laugh all the way to the bank.

Comment

Supply and demand. People want beer and that is the primary reason most people are there. So price a pint at $8, $9, $10, $11, $12...etc and see if people keep buying them.

Buy a pint for fifty cents and sell for twelve dollars. Laugh all the way to the bank.
                    Welcome to professional sports!

(And many other parts of the entertainment industry, where one has a captive and thirsty audience).

Comment

Now, I don't know if any Jesuit players are playing for the Thorns. It would be against DA rules for any DA player to be rostered on a high school team, and it's also against DA rules for any player who has played HS soccer in the current season, to join a DA team after the HS season is over.

There is one exception to this rule, the "private school scholarship" rule. A player who attends a private school, and whose admission in contingent on playing soccer (or is receiving a reduction or waiver of tuition in exchange for playing soccer), may play in DA and miss DA events during the HS season.

Of course, were Jesuit to do THAT, they would be in violation of OSAA rules, which ban any sort of scholarship given to athletes. (See OSAA rule book, sections 8.4 and 8.7, here: http://www.osaa.org/governance/handb...#_Toc456100271).

Apparently, this sort of thing is a problem in other parts of the country, and arguably worse outside Oregon. In the socal soccer blog, the following ruse is alleged to accommodate rich families who want to participate in DA (GDA is stronger than ECNL in southern California) but still do high school.

1) Player applies for the scholarship exemption with the DA club.
                      2) Player receives invoice from the private school indicating a tuition reduction
                      3) Player's family agrees to make a "donation" to the school equal to the amount of the tuition discount.

In other words, sham paperwork is sometimes provided to get around the DA restrictions.

How to stop this? A few suggestions:

* A standard form must be used, signed by families and by school officials, indicating the conditions which justify the exemption. Form must be notarized.
                      * Schools must provide copy of bylaws, rules, or other document authorizing tuition discounts or admission based on athletic ability.
                      * Both parties must sign affidavit that there are NO other side agreements (such as the family reimbursing the school via a donation or other means).
                      * **A copy of the agreement must be forwarded to the sanctioning authority/league/association the school is a member of**, preferably by return receipt or certified mail, so evidence of delivery exists.

In other words, if someone at Jesuit wants a tuition exemption, Jesuit must be willing to send a letter to OSAA proclaiming that they are granting this. Which, of course, would be a flagrant violation of OSAA rules.

But for private schools which participate in leagues where this is allowed, and for which there is a bona-fide requirement that the student play soccer as a condition of being there, the exemption is fair. But I'm not aware of any such schools in Oregon.

Comment

No, people go to Prov Park to watch soccer. Drinking beer is part of the experience, of course, but if I just want beer I can have it far cheaper at the neighbourhood pub, and assuming I'm OK with cans or bottles, even cheaper than that at the grocery store. (And still watch soccer on the telly, if I'm so inclined).

Comment

The lines for beer tonight were long all night long. Capitalism is good. I applaud whoever got into an ownership position using their dad's money. The cash generated by beer has to be outstanding. A beer and hotdog company? Why not.

Comment

The lines for beer tonight were long all night long. Capitalism is good. I applaud whoever got into an ownership position using their dad's money. The cash generated by beer has to be outstanding. A beer and hotdog company? Why not.
                            If you actually understood the MLS single entity model you quickly understand why beer and hot dogs are so important. The local franchise gets to keep the revenue.

Quick refresh course on the the MLS Structure byIsaac Krasny

The Investor-Operator
                            MLS teams don’t have owners in the classic sense: they have Investor-Operators. It’s actually an important distinction when considering the MLS business model. Unlike other American sports leagues, MLS isn’t structured as a legal cartel where a number of competing interests work together to facilitate healthy competition. Instead, MLS Investor-Operators are all financially invested in the same business entity — Major League Soccer, LLC — and succeed and fail together. They all made their initial investment in the LLC, and they all receive a pro-rata share of the profits if and when MLS generates a profit (or they can write off their share of the losses, should MLS lose cash in a given year.)
                            Being an investor in Major League Soccer entitles you to operate one of the teams owned by the league. For their respective team, Investor-Operators are entitled to earn certain revenues directly. This includes revenues from selling local broadcast rights, merchandise sold in the stadium, local sponsors, and all parking and stadium revenue. Certain items require the Investor-Operator to send a portion of their revenue to MLS, like 30% of ticket sales and between 25% and 44% of money earned through player transfer fees. MLS directly takes all revenue from national broadcast rights, league-level sponsorships, and online merchandise sales.
                            On the expense side of the equation, MLS pays all normal player salaries, as well as salaries covered under the flavors of allocation money (TAM and GAM). The rest of the operational expenses are largely up to the individual Investor-Operators. This includes stadium expenses (construction cost or rental expense), player development mechanisms like academies and training, all front office expenses like staff and budgets for marketing, sales, operations, and coaching to name a few, as well as team travel and salaries for designated players above the salary cap threshold.

Comment

Concessions keep many businesses profitable - from movie theaters to stadiums

Comment

They should change the name to the Portland Hot Dogs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X