Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Parent of OR GDA player here. I have not put this on any OR discussions because I agree with the ECNL troll poster above. I know OR posters may read WA posts, as I do from time to time, so I guess whatever. The real answer is the Thorns travelled on 9 plane flights last year not counting an extra showcase travel plus any voluntary travel in summer. They announced to us parents that while they support funding the club down to a mid-3k a year for player costs, adding that cup would have added 2 possibly 3 more plane flights plus all the lodging costs.

They truly believe in the US Soccer GDA’s original mission (which appears long since forgotten by many GDA clubs) that the GDA is supposed to come closer to leveling the playing field financially for players in this wealthy pay to play culture.

The Thorns did not plan on the funding for these cup trips and did not feel it appropriate to ask parents to foot the bill after they had outlined the season costs already, which did not include these extra 2-3 trips.

I wish more GDA clubs honored the mission US Soccer claimed they were supposed to achieve when the GDA started and make inclusive financial decisions for players of all family income levels.

Don’t get me wrong, even $3k+ is a lot, but it is a far cry from what many other ECNL and GDA clubs charge.
    Thanks for this clarification--you might post it on the Oregon forums, too.

(Apparently due to some clerical issue, the Thorns Academy schedule is not linked to from the Thorns page at the GDA website, which the usual suspect have pointed out while suggesting that this is evidence the Thorns Academy is about to fold, or doesn't have enough players to fill a roster, or other assorted bollocks).

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Travel is included for scheduled GDA events, but not for outside tournaments.

http://www.portlandthornsacademy.com...er%20Costs.pdf
      Wow, the Thorns must be funding the travel. That is awesome. Makes me wonder what the costs are across the country for other GDA programs. It makes the Reign fees seem incredibly high and unfortunately excludes most from participating.

Comment

Thorns are one of the most successful women's pro teams in the world.. not just soccer, not just America. I'm glad they're putting some of that money toward their DA team and as the womens pro soccer economy expands this trend is sure to continue

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        Working...
        X