Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    First of all, I'm not a current Reign parent so this is not a defense of Reign...

The Northwest School, a $ private school downtown, uses Bobby Morris a lot for their athletic teams. Yes, there is a homeless issue, but the aversion to clubs using the field traces to Jimmy at SU, who decided the environment was unacceptable by his standards. SU in general shuns any fields South unless it's a matter of a specific coach's convenience. An SU coach who lived in Auburn used to have teams practice in Beacon Hill, but it general, SU has been biased against South and downtown Seattle for "safety."

In addition to NWS using the field, you have Hugo House, Seattle's nationally known writer's center, across the street from Bobby Morris, and other solid businesses in the area. Yes, there are homeless people in the park, as there are in other Seattle parks. Bobby Morris as a training site doesn't match the pristine, family friendly fields of Issiquah, but it's not a combat zone. The more youth and community members we have using the field, the safer the area will become.
    Got it. A Seattlephile, echoing Jane Jacobs' urbanist more eyes on the street to make it safer because then more people will call the police and the bad elements will be afraid and not do bad stuff mantra. GFY. These are not homeless you idiot. These are hard core drug addicts hooked on heroin, meth, and crack. They do not give a flying f*ck about your Mia or follow any social norms or beliefs. They will rob you if you appear to be weak. A 16 year old girl in shorts look like a tempting target at night.

Let me clue you in onto something. There are so many sex offenders in the ID, Jungle, Pioneer Sq, Sodo, Broadway. Last time I heard was about 300+ at any given time. Mostly homeless, drug addicts, and nowhere to go. The homeless-poverty pimps..I mean agencies control the downtown area with their polices that the city of Seattle advocate. The release point of these people for King county is downtown Seattle. My God. It is neverending catch and release of these people in the same area. This is NOT including the drug fiends. Moms and dads, this is not a joke or scare tactic.

Isn't the whole point of this high level soccer about getting a scholarship or maybe getting edge to get into that elite college? Putting her into stupid danger is not one of them.

Oh about my nice, clean, and safe eastside sururban high school? Yes, good numbers and will have a strong varsity team. DD is super excited for the season.

Comment

Got it. A Seattlephile, echoing Jane Jacobs' urbanist more eyes on the street to make it safer because then more people will call the police and the bad elements will be afraid and not do bad stuff mantra. GFY. These are not homeless you idiot. These are hard core drug addicts hooked on heroin, meth, and crack. They do not give a flying f*ck about your Mia or follow any social norms or beliefs. They will rob you if you appear to be weak. A 16 year old girl in shorts look like a tempting target at night.

Let me clue you in onto something. There are so many sex offenders in the ID, Jungle, Pioneer Sq, Sodo, Broadway. Last time I heard was about 300+ at any given time. Mostly homeless, drug addicts, and nowhere to go. The homeless-poverty pimps..I mean agencies control the downtown area with their polices that the city of Seattle advocate. The release point of these people for King county is downtown Seattle. My God. It is neverending catch and release of these people in the same area. This is NOT including the drug fiends. Moms and dads, this is not a joke or scare tactic.

Isn't the whole point of this high level soccer about getting a scholarship or maybe getting edge to get into that elite college? Putting her into stupid danger is not one of them.

Oh about my nice, clean, and safe eastside sururban high school? Yes, good numbers and will have a strong varsity team. DD is super excited for the season.
      "GFY?" Really? "Idiot?" Are you incapable of having a discussion or debate/sharing an opinion without being insulting?

I understand why this field wouldn't be a top practice site, especially after dark. However, the biggest danger our kids face from sex offenders is among people they already know: relatives, family friends, teachers, coaches etc etc Most sex offenders are not on any registry. And you seem to conflate drug addicts with sex offenders. Better check the Eastside sex offender registry to make sure your neighborhood is an perfect as you think it is.

Comment

"GFY?" Really? "Idiot?" Are you incapable of having a discussion or debate/sharing an opinion without being insulting?

I understand why this field wouldn't be a top practice site, especially after dark. However, the biggest danger our kids face from sex offenders is among people they already know: relatives, family friends, teachers, coaches etc etc Most sex offenders are not on any registry. And you seem to conflate drug addicts with sex offenders. Better check the Eastside sex offender registry to make sure your neighborhood is an perfect as you think it is.
        Ugh. Straws, man, are meant for drinking, not making arguments. Field surrounded by homeless, drug addicts camping out at Cal Anderson and making it scary as f*ck at night? Criminals, which includes tons of sex offenders and drug addicts, are released in the area? Double the trouble, Jane. Give the cops a call and see how long it takes.

If you are going to subject your kid to such an environment, I would strongly suggest to teach her or him situational awareness. Good articles and books out there. Train her to look for signs of trouble and avoid them.

Going back to high school soccer. Rosters are out and things are rolling. I am enjoying this time. I can see why high school sports are so important to young ladies. Good luck this season!

Comment

Reign is on life support. Having to combine some age groups to make one quality team isn't a good sign.
          Oregon threads say Portland Thorns aren’t playing in the new Cup games and have no links up on the ussda site. What gives with the only two remaining gda clubs in the two states?

Comment

Oregon threads say Portland Thorns aren’t playing in the new Cup games and have no links up on the ussda site. What gives with the only two remaining gda clubs in the two states?

Nothing is wrong. Reign is going to Florida DA event, and new NorCal Event. So much more college contacts, resources and knowledge beyond what local ECNL teams provided. Only better opportunity would be Crossfire’s top teams under JB.

A lot of trolls on these forums who like to push the negative story. The Oregon forums are the worse with people actually calling out specific players.

Comment

Ugh. Straws, man, are meant for drinking, not making arguments. Field surrounded by homeless, drug addicts camping out at Cal Anderson and making it scary as f*ck at night? Criminals, which includes tons of sex offenders and drug addicts, are released in the area? Double the trouble, Jane. Give the cops a call and see how long it takes.

If you are going to subject your kid to such an environment, I would strongly suggest to teach her or him situational awareness. Good articles and books out there. Train her to look for signs of trouble and avoid them
              Scare mongering. Complaining about a field that literally has a Seattle police department across the street! Fire station around the corner. Undercover police everywhere. You are safer at Bobby Morris under the lights than in Redmond from a three time sex offender. Meanwhile, my kids 17yo teammate fought off an attempted abduction in daylight on the Eastside. Players wake up and find homeless people sleeping in their cars on the Eastside as well. The danger is where you least expect it. It’s possible the area is dangerous... but with molly moons across the street, all the restaurants around, and all the nightlife with eyes everywhere it’s not the nightmare you think it is.

The Seattle University fields at night are much closer to the “jungle” and issues within the ID.
              There’s more shady characters further south than anywhere in the central district.

Comment

With all the Seattle United backpacks and uniform pieces being worn by the homeless downtown, I dont think the Reign teams are the ones with an issue.

Unless that bearded dude passed out in pioneer square is a guest player for Seattle United.

Comment

With all the Seattle United backpacks and uniform pieces being worn by the homeless downtown, I dont think the Reign teams are the ones with an issue.

Unless that bearded dude passed out in pioneer square is a guest player for Seattle United.
                  Are you saying the homeless are stealing Seattle United backpacks and jerseys? Um, our family just took two huge boxes of Seattle United gear to goodwill this summer since we have moved clubs. And even when you don't move clubs, numbers get changed, you get forced to buy a new kit...people donate the stuff.

Comment

Sugar coat it however you like, Bobby Morris is just not a safe place to be. Whether this be with discarded needles in the bushes, aggravated mental health patients roaming the grounds, or having to deal with the human feces. Yes it is located near to many vibrant things that can help or at least give the psychological feeling of safety but it is certainly nothing like a field over on the Eastside and making comparisons to such smacks of desperation.

No one is blaming the Reign they are using what is available to them, but you cannot deny the fact the field is a lawsuit waiting to happen. The sooner they transfer out the better for everyone.

Comment

Oregon forums are populated with pro-ECNL trolls who look for every opportunity to attack the local GDA team and spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Take things uttered there with a BIG grain of salt.

Comment

Sugar coat it however you like, Bobby Morris is just not a safe place to be. Whether this be with discarded needles in the bushes, aggravated mental health patients roaming the grounds, or having to deal with the human feces. Yes it is located near to many vibrant things that can help or at least give the psychological feeling of safety but it is certainly nothing like a field over on the Eastside and making comparisons to such smacks of desperation.

No one is blaming the Reign they are using what is available to them, but you cannot deny the fact the field is a lawsuit waiting to happen. The sooner they transfer out the better for everyone.
                        Of course Bobby Morris not like the Eastside fields -- it's in the heart of Seattle! Why are you so desperate to paint it as dangerous, infected place when your kid doesn't even train there? Stay in your bubble. Seattle doesn't want you.

Comment

Of course Bobby Morris not like the Eastside fields -- it's in the heart of Seattle! Why are you so desperate to paint it as dangerous, infected place when your kid doesn't even train there? Stay in your bubble. Seattle doesn't want you.
                          Apparently, some suburbanites think that everything between Puget Sound and Mercer Island is a dangerous slum.

Comment

Oregon forums are populated with pro-ECNL trolls who look for every opportunity to attack the local GDA team and spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Take things uttered there with a BIG grain of salt.
                            Parent of OR GDA player here. I have not put this on any OR discussions because I agree with the ECNL troll poster above. I know OR posters may read WA posts, as I do from time to time, so I guess whatever. The real answer is the Thorns travelled on 9 plane flights last year not counting an extra showcase travel plus any voluntary travel in summer. They announced to us parents that while they support funding the club down to a mid-3k a year for player costs, adding that cup would have added 2 possibly 3 more plane flights plus all the lodging costs.

They truly believe in the US Soccer GDA’s original mission (which appears long since forgotten by many GDA clubs) that the GDA is supposed to come closer to leveling the playing field financially for players in this wealthy pay to play culture.

The Thorns did not plan on the funding for these cup trips and did not feel it appropriate to ask parents to foot the bill after they had outlined the season costs already, which did not include these extra 2-3 trips.

I wish more GDA clubs honored the mission US Soccer claimed they were supposed to achieve when the GDA started and make inclusive financial decisions for players of all family income levels.

Don’t get me wrong, even $3k+ is a lot, but it is a far cry from what many other ECNL and GDA clubs charge.

Comment

Parent of OR GDA player here. I have not put this on any OR discussions because I agree with the ECNL troll poster above. I know OR posters may read WA posts, as I do from time to time, so I guess whatever. The real answer is the Thorns travelled on 9 plane flights last year not counting an extra showcase travel plus any voluntary travel in summer. They announced to us parents that while they support funding the club down to a mid-3k a year for player costs, adding that cup would have added 2 possibly 3 more plane flights plus all the lodging costs.

They truly believe in the US Soccer GDA’s original mission (which appears long since forgotten by many GDA clubs) that the GDA is supposed to come closer to leveling the playing field financially for players in this wealthy pay to play culture.

The Thorns did not plan on the funding for these cup trips and did not feel it appropriate to ask parents to foot the bill after they had outlined the season costs already, which did not include these extra 2-3 trips.

I wish more GDA clubs honored the mission US Soccer claimed they were supposed to achieve when the GDA started and make inclusive financial decisions for players of all family income levels.

Don’t get me wrong, even $3k+ is a lot, but it is a far cry from what many other ECNL and GDA clubs charge.
                              Please tell me the $3k is just club fees and doesn’t include travel? Is the Thorns organization partially funding the program? Reign DA fees are upwards of $10k!

Comment

Please tell me the $3k is just club fees and doesn’t include travel? Is the Thorns organization partially funding the program? Reign DA fees are upwards of $10k!
                                Travel is included for scheduled GDA events, but not for outside tournaments.

http://www.portlandthornsacademy.com...er%20Costs.pdf

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X