Timbers, Politics, and Human Rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a league decision, not a Timbers policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Politics is a dirty business. They see what's going on in the NFL and want to avoid it.

Comment

That’s a nice word Salad even if it’s not factually correct

Sorry you got your butt hurt. You and your clowns should boycott or something and see what happens.

Nobody cares about those offended they can't display their lame misguided symbol.

Comment

Politics is a dirty business. They see what's going on in the NFL and want to avoid it.
          Perfectly logical step for a franchise.

However, sports/soccer clubs are inherently political.

All you are seeing this week is some fans who spend thousands on Timbers believing they were supporting a club, getting reminded that they support a franchise.

Comment

That’s a nice word Salad even if it’s not factually correct
            Most of the people with the flag, the symbol have no idea what it means or represents. You're probably one of them. About the same number of people at in the Army that know about the symbol have a clue about soccer too. Group think. Chants, songs, people will follow anything. A team, a cause. Timbers are the master . Now that they have 35k that want a seat, they don't need you. Try taking your flag to a Pickles game!

Comment

And this thread goes exactly as expected.

Don’t worry, times they are a changin

Comment

Oh buddy. We should have a talk about single-entity.

Comment

Oh buddy. We should have a talk about single-entity.
                  I don't like single entity either, but it is what it is.

NFL isn't single-entity, but the league enforces standards on teams and players nonetheless. (And no, I don't necessarily like the NFL rules either).

MLS has had quite a bit of problems with skinheads and alt-right supporters groups causing trouble at matches, mainly in the East Coast. Abroad, there have been lots of racist attacks against black players in various European cities. And Xherdan Shaqiri got into some trouble taunting Serbian fans (and their Russian allies) in the World Cup last year by displaying the "double eagle" salute.

The Trail Blazers finished the season with a center who cannot leave the United States because he's a wanted fugitive in his home country, entirely for political reasons, and which has cancelled his passport.

This goes way beyond a bunch of bearded hipsters who would sh1t their pants if involved in an actual fight getting PO'd because they can't wave a flag in North End.

Comment

MLS has had quite a bit of problems with skinheads and alt-right supporters groups causing trouble at matches, mainly in the East Coast. Abroad, there have been lots of racist attacks against black players in various European cities. And Xherdan Shaqiri got into some trouble taunting Serbian fans (and their Russian allies) in the World Cup last year by displaying the "double eagle" salute.
                    ROTFL

Europe. Ever been there. If they are level 10 for racism, US is 1. No comparison.

Alt Right Skinheads at matches, OMG. It was actually....1 guy right?

You should right for the Oregonian.

Comment

ROTFL

Europe. Ever been there. If they are level 10 for racism, US is 1. No comparison.

It's write, but right.

Comment

ROTFL

There's plenty of racism in this country. The evidence of that is provided on this website's captcha.

NYCFC has had LOTS of problems with racist supporters groups, more than just "one guy". Many of them have been banned, but they are there.

The thing, though, is soccer fandom in the US tends to be a bit more left-leaning, so skinheads at soccer matches aren't as common as it is in Europe. This country's racist riff-raff tends to prefer the pointy variety of football, which is why the NFL loves to indulge in the Toby Keith theatrics, with flag idolatry, military flybys, and the whole ten yards.

Comment

I have 2 season tickets in the Timbers Army. In the 5 years I’ve been going I have never spotted anyone in the stadium remotely fascist or a white supremacist; pretty sure soccer isn’t Murican enough for a typical Trumpanzee. What I do see all the frogging time in the North End are white college educated social justice warriors looking for a cause du jour to be a sheep about. If anything, all this iron front baloney is now going to make the Timbers targets of Proud Boys and the like... 🙄.

Comment

I have 2 season tickets in the Timbers Army. In the 5 years I’ve been going I have never spotted anyone in the stadium remotely fascist or a white supremacist; pretty sure soccer isn’t Murican enough for a typical Trumpanzee. What I do see all the frogging time in the North End are white college educated social justice warriors looking for a cause du jour to be a sheep about. If anything, all this iron front baloney is now going to make the Timbers targets of Proud Boys and the like... ��.
                            I like Trump, and soccer.

Comment

There's plenty of racism in this country. The evidence of that is provided on this website's captcha.

NYCFC has had LOTS of problems with racist supporters groups, more than just "one guy". Many of them have been banned, but they are there.

The thing, though, is soccer fandom in the US tends to be a bit more left-leaning, so skinheads at soccer matches aren't as common as it is in Europe. This country's racist riff-raff tends to prefer the pointy variety of football, which is why the NFL loves to indulge in the Toby Keith theatrics, with flag idolatry, military flybys, and the whole ten yards.
                              I've read all about the guys and NYFC match and histrionics comes to mind. SPLC is once great - now shills and an unreliable source.

If you did a background check on everyone at a Timbers game you'd find sex offenders, drug dealers, racists, degenerates, gang members etc. I guess the good news is soccer has a broad appeal...

Racism in the US compared to Europe isn't even close. Classism too.

I'm fine with the Timbers. I think they want to sell hotdogs, beer and seats and are trying to avoid any association with the black mask pepper spraying people seen breaking windows on the news that use the symbol as well.

Comment

There is nothing anti fascist about Antifa.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X