Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sorry, mate, but the game is won by putting the ball in the back of their net.
    Not by giving them an opportunity to knock it into yours.

2 fast strikers vs uncomfortable defenders and keeper...no contest
    And that is the scenario for 99.9% of the games played
    LOL, by calling one "mate" doesn't make you any less of a idiot.

In your scenario, Theo Walcott is, actually, good....

Comment

Again, you can do something correct a thousand times and win dozens and dozens of games as a result. You then turn to the one it doesn't and think one should change an entire mindset?

LOL
      2 teams in the world-Barca and City and here ends the list. Both managed by Pep and built for it.
      Nefc, Mls, everybody else in the world...not going to work

And you never see the thousands of mistakes made every match week.

Comment

LOL, by calling one "mate" doesn't make you any less of a idiot.

In your scenario, Theo Walcott is, actually, good....
        Hate the Gunners

Comment

Hate the Gunners
          And Everton even more!

Go Reds

Comment

2 teams in the world-Barca and City and here ends the list. Both managed by Pep and built for it.
            Nefc, Mls, everybody else in the world...not going to work

And you never see the thousands of mistakes made every match week.
            There's thousands of mistakes made all over the pitch every week. You make a mistake, you correct it, and you move on.

Is it better to have your midfield with their head's on a swivel, tracking all game and getting a half-dozen touches? You'll then turn around and complain about "how can we win when we have 35% possession"?

I'll take playing with the ball vs. chasing after it like a friggin' dog all day long. Especially in youth soccer when you want to learn the game vs. playing fetch. Not even a question.

Comment

There's thousands of mistakes made all over the pitch every week. You make a mistake, you correct it, and you move on.

Is it better to have your midfield with their head's on a swivel, tracking all game and getting a half-dozen touches? You'll then turn around and complain about "how can we win when we have 35% possession"?

I'll take playing with the ball vs. chasing after it like a friggin' dog all day long. Especially in youth soccer when you want to learn the game vs. playing fetch. Not even a question.
              You win with 35% of possession by punishing their mistakes, which they WILL make

Comment

You win with 35% of possession by punishing their mistakes, which they WILL make
                Yes, that can be done all over the pitch. Win the ball after a restart in your own end, Centerbacks caught up, wingers acting like defenders. 70-yard run at goal.

What's your point?

You do realize the point of the game is to play WITH the ball and not run after it, right? That you can tire a team out by making them chase? To have fun?

Sure, you can win once in a while by forcing the odd turnover.

Comment

Yes, that can be done all over the pitch. Win the ball after a restart in your own end, Centerbacks caught up, wingers acting like defenders. 70-yard run at goal.

What's your point?

You do realize the point of the game is to play WITH the ball and not run after it, right? That you can tire a team out by making them chase? To have fun?

Sure, you can win once in a while by forcing the odd turnover.
                  And in the US, with the substitution rules used in HS, College, and many clubs - you can chase the ball all day. Sub in the next athlete when players get tired. If you win it in their end you're a couple of dribbles and a cross from having a scoring opportunity. You don't have to make 8-10 successful passes. You don't have to have multiple players seeing the field well, anticipating a run or an opportunity. You don't need tremendous skill, just win it and immediately try to score - because you're 25-30 yards and 1 or 2 defenders from goal (as opposed to 80yards and 8 defenders).

I love watching teams possess the ball and build up to something that leads to a shot, but most of the time when my kids' teams control the ball it's simply because the other team is completely outclassed. Scoring goals is more fun than holding the ball for 70% of the game and ending in a 0-0 tie. Last I checked, teams celebrated a turnover-pass-finish too.

Comment

And in the US, with the substitution rules used in HS, College, and many clubs - you can chase the ball all day. Sub in the next athlete when players get tired. If you win it in their end you're a couple of dribbles and a cross from having a scoring opportunity. You don't have to make 8-10 successful passes. You don't have to have multiple players seeing the field well, anticipating a run or an opportunity. You don't need tremendous skill, just win it and immediately try to score - because you're 25-30 yards and 1 or 2 defenders from goal (as opposed to 80yards and 8 defenders).

I love watching teams possess the ball and build up to something that leads to a shot, but most of the time when my kids' teams control the ball it's simply because the other team is completely outclassed. Scoring goals is more fun than holding the ball for 70% of the game and ending in a 0-0 tie. Last I checked, teams celebrated a turnover-pass-finish too.
                    So, you appear to be advocating not playing with the ball, and just running around until someone turns it over?

Is that enjoyable to watch? To play?

Comment

Here in the US, we play sports to win the game, not to get style points.

Comment

So, you appear to be advocating not playing with the ball, and just running around until someone turns it over?

Not advocating anything other than don’t piss around in your 1/3rd of the pitch with players incapable.
                        Again, 99.9% of the players in the world.

But if you do, you will make a mistake
                        And my squad will punish you for it

Comment

Hell, no. It's ugly, and I wouldn't want to play it either. But it's functional, and for coaches beyond the strictly developmental phase, it works.

Comment

Not advocating anything other than don’t piss around in your 1/3rd of the pitch with players incapable.
                            Again, 99.9% of the players in the world.

But if you do, you will make a mistake
                            And my squad will punish you for it

Great. And when we suck you in I’ll drop on over the top and all you’ll see is number not faces.

Meanwhile the kids learn to play with the spherical thing at their feet. Makes them better players.

Comment

Great. And when we suck you in I’ll drop on over the top and all you’ll see is number not faces.

Meanwhile the kids learn to play with the spherical thing at their feet. Makes them better players.
                              dropping one over the top doesn't sound much like "possession," though. What's the matter? Are you not confident that your backs can handle the ball under pressure? I'd rather preach patience and good decision making than "playing out of the back" or "blast it down the field and chase it like hell." Sometimes a good decision is to play it over the top and force the defenders to make a play when facing their own goal. Sometimes a good decision is to pass the ball around your own end of the field 5-6 times until 1 or 2 opponents get impatient or stretched out of position and the field opens up.

I love the assumption that the "beautiful game" nerds make that just because a team plays direct or doesn't roll every ball out to a center back that they couldn't do it if they wanted to.

Comment

dropping one over the top doesn't sound much like "possession," though. What's the matter? Are you not confident that your backs can handle the ball under pressure? I'd rather preach patience and good decision making than "playing out of the back" or "blast it down the field and chase it like hell." Sometimes a good decision is to play it over the top and force the defenders to make a play when facing their own goal. Sometimes a good decision is to pass the ball around your own end of the field 5-6 times until 1 or 2 opponents get impatient or stretched out of position and the field opens up.

I love the assumption that the "beautiful game" nerds make that just because a team plays direct or doesn't roll every ball out to a center back that they couldn't do it if they wanted to.
                                See that’s what you don’t get. The higher you press the more space behind. The whole idea is to possess at the midfield. You exhaust yourself chasing or you can haul it up there yourself. You want to find space and if that means spreading you out then we will. But not at the expense of giving up possession. Sure we’ll give one up occasionally. We’ll play out of the successfully with possession way more than not. And we’ll watch you run ragged chasing. Nothing frustrating as a defense than mindless chasing. It’s not soccer. It’s fox hunting.

I do agree as teams press higher and higher the need to release is more. But possession over the entire field will never nor should never go away

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X