Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any soccer club that is not just for money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I know a lot.

Even non-profit and not-for-profit organizations have to meet expenses. Field access and maintenance, utilities, salaries, referee fees, association and league fees, insurance, etc. Parents always have the impression these are greedy money-hungry clubs because of the registration costs not mindful that registration costs don't cover all expenses which is why sponsorships are important and clubs engage in fundraising initiatives.

People may sneer at this, but it's absolutely true. Youth soccer clubs are not making money hand over fist. The non-profits have to file IRS form 990 that is available to the public. See for yourself if you don't believe me.
    So the question becomes how does one find these forms?

Comment

So the question becomes how does one find these forms?
      https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/c...1915706503.pdf

Comment

I know a lot.

Even non-profit and not-for-profit organizations have to meet expenses. Field access and maintenance, utilities, salaries, referee fees, association and league fees, insurance, etc. Parents always have the impression these are greedy money-hungry clubs because of the registration costs not mindful that registration costs don't cover all expenses which is why sponsorships are important and clubs engage in fundraising initiatives.

People may sneer at this, but it's absolutely true. Youth soccer clubs are not making money hand over fist. The non-profits have to file IRS form 990 that is available to the public. See for yourself if you don't believe me.
        You are so right. Most non profits are non profit in name only. Rather than an owner(s) keeping all the profit for themselves they distribute monies to themselves via salaries and other "expenses". They do it by putting parents and friends on the boards that approve it all. Overall clubs prefer to be non profit because there is more work involved and more public scrutiny. The tax break is nice but not worth it to some.

Other than maybe your local town rec league it's all a business folks. There's all different options out there so find a club with good coaching that fits your budget. That's about all you can do.

Comment

There's also websites like Guidestar and others. However, 990s don't have a lot of details so it's not that hard to hide things in it.

Comment

There's also websites like Guidestar and others. However, 990s don't have a lot of details so it's not that hard to hide things in it.
            Have diced a few of these apart on some tampa clubs a while back after going back and fourth with some people on here. Super easy to to stash several thousands under different generic categories.

That and some of your DOC salaries can be surprisingly high, though certainly not all.

Comment

The problem shouldn't be if they make money, the problem is the poor service they give.
              They don't care if the coaches are able to teach and then to coach. Whoever with a weird title of professional player is able to coach kids who are there to learn.

Clubs should monitor if the money received is being compensated with at least a good coach, since it's not possible to have excellent coaches everywhere.

Clubs don't listen the complaints because they already know their staff is very bad in general.

But at the end, this is a business.

Comment

You are so right. Most non profits are non profit in name only. Rather than an owner(s) keeping all the profit for themselves they distribute monies to themselves via salaries and other "expenses". They do it by putting parents and friends on the boards that approve it all...

... There's all different options out there so find a club with good coaching that fits your budget. That's about all you can do.
                Non-profits don't have owners, they have founders. If they are keeping the profit for themselves or utilizing it for expenses not related to the mission of the organization than they are breaking laws.

I have been on a number of non-profit boards both in the youth sports industry and outside of it. You have a rather cynical view, and one not supported by the evidence. For one thing, quite a lot of clubs in Florida don't have anyone who founded them even involved in the club anymore. Especially if it's been around for more than 20 years.

However, I agree with your last statement. Find a club with coaching you like that you can afford.

I'll add that if you think a club is being mismanaged, then get off your butt and volunteer. I can guarantee the inside of running is a club is nothing like what most parents and whiny TS posters assume. It's not nearly as corrupt as you folks would like to think. Though I guess your conspiracy theories are just a lot more fun than the truth.

Comment

Non-profits don't have owners, they have founders. If they are keeping the profit for themselves or utilizing it for expenses not related to the mission of the organization than they are breaking laws.

I have been on a number of non-profit boards both in the youth sports industry and outside of it. You have a rather cynical view, and one not supported by the evidence. For one thing, quite a lot of clubs in Florida don't have anyone who founded them even involved in the club anymore. Especially if it's been around for more than 20 years.

However, I agree with your last statement. Find a club with coaching you like that you can afford.

I'll add that if you think a club is being mismanaged, then get off your butt and volunteer. I can guarantee the inside of running is a club is nothing like what most parents and whiny TS posters assume. It's not nearly as corrupt as you folks would like to think. Though I guess your conspiracy theories are just a lot more fun than the truth.
                  You are right in your post but what happens when you request or ask to volunteer on the board and the selected buddies on the board sees you as a threat to their power and don't let you volunteer or give you opportunity to get your volunteer fee back? They only want you to help move goals and do heavy lifting but not part of the decision making team with their buddies.

Comment

I've been on several as well, and have volunteered plenty. They're not all scum and vermin but there's certainly enough of them out there. Plus, many clubs are for profit, so no boards to report to, no IRS forms to fill out.

not the op

Comment

Do you know one?
                      Do you know a doctor that works for free ?
                      A teacher that works for free ?
                      A soccer coach educates , travels and inspires young players sometimes even more than teachers . Would should a coach do it for free ? Why don’t parents get educated take licenses and coach for free ?

I know answer because you work and have to make $$ and rather not.

If you want things for free , cosch your child if not please be quiet.

You are clueless and live in a world where you think you should get paid but others shouldn’t to take care and help develop your child. Be glad you have someone welling and able to help.

Comment

Do you know a doctor that works for free ?
                        A teacher that works for free ?
                        A soccer coach educates , travels and inspires young players sometimes even more than teachers . Would should a coach do it for free ? Why don’t parents get educated take licenses and coach for free ?

I know answer because you work and have to make $$ and rather not.

If you want things for free , cosch your child if not please be quiet.

You are clueless and live in a world where you think you should get paid but others shouldn’t to take care and help develop your child. Be glad you have someone welling and able to help.
                        Well the Doctors & teachers could certainly do a better job coaching,so maybe it would be worth the money.

Comment

Well the Doctors & teachers could certainly do a better job coaching,so maybe it would be worth the money.
                          I agree with that.Most of the coaches need to be teaching the rec kids and let another proffesion take over the competitive kids.Let's be honest the kids can't be any worse off.

Comment

The problem shouldn't be if they make money, the problem is the poor service they give.
                            They don't care if the coaches are able to teach and then to coach. Whoever with a weird title of professional player is able to coach kids who are there to learn.

Clubs should monitor if the money received is being compensated with at least a good coach, since it's not possible to have excellent coaches everywhere.

Clubs don't listen the complaints because they already know their staff is very bad in general.

But at the end, this is a business.
                            How about a little feedback to the players? Keep statistics. Timed runs and speed tests each month. Gym and weights. What should the players work on to get better.

Comment

Weston makes over 3 million per year, 400 volunteers. Board members pocket money for 3rd party companies they own and stipends. Not to mention the under the table stooping going on. It's all money!

Comment

Most people are ungrateful you can't do things for free or little money, they resent you. It's better you charge the crap out of them and they will love you. Especially Colombianos!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X