Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coerver Vs Waza

The Eastside Thread blew up into a Coerver thread so I thought I would start a new one and compare Waza vs Coerver.

Has anyone done both and have a valid comparison?

From that thread, it appears most parents don't know how to get value out of Coerver and make it work for them.

Coerver is not specifically skills development. It's tactical 5v5 play developing ball control. Once players are older and more advanced, they will be using these techniques to advance the ball and immediately make a play. The emphasis is the attacking 5 players and how they form up against the defense. As I can remember, it tries to simulate a situation where at any one time your 4-5 offensive players will be attacking the other teams 5-6 defensive players. This ia all about speed of play and each player understanding they have multiple options when they receive the ball. The challenge is to develop the skills to be aware of those options before they receive the ball, then having the skills to immediately play (one touch!) one of those options as fast as possible.

Now young players may end up with what I like to call, "coerveritus" where player holds possession dribbling and doing "moves" until they "lose the ball" after advancing it. This is really more to do with the players having the technical skills but neither the speed of play, nor not the tactical development yet.

Also, no one should be worried about what group they are in. Coerver is meant to be done a minimum of two days a week and is best with three days at you're ages. If you just do this for a short stint, or once a week, then do not expect any benefit. But also, you really can't be complaining or say it doesn't work...you have not been enveloped in the program long enough for it to help you.

I credit coerver with getting my oldest child from playing NPSL select up into ECNL. Also my middle child (rec) going from being so intimidated they didn't want to do anything but cry on the field to now being on a premiere team in only two years. The thing is to stick with it. It's about the time you put in and touches on the ball.

Again, the key is to go twice a week, three times if you can. And go every weekend even if you don't want to, even if it's raining, even if you child says no. It works.

Can you get to an A team and college without Coerver? Yes. Great athletes can showcase themselves in any situation. But a great athlete doing this program or any other program will be in a much better position to compete once they are in HS than if they went without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      From that thread, it appears most parents don't know how to get value out of Coerver and make it work for them.

Coerver is not specifically skills development. It's tactical 5v5 play developing ball control. Once players are older and more advanced, they will be using these techniques to advance the ball and immediately make a play. The emphasis is the attacking 5 players and how they form up against the defense. As I can remember, it tries to simulate a situation where at any one time your 4-5 offensive players will be attacking the other teams 5-6 defensive players. This ia all about speed of play and each player understanding they have multiple options when they receive the ball. The challenge is to develop the skills to be aware of those options before they receive the ball, then having the skills to immediately play (one touch!) one of those options as fast as possible.

Now young players may end up with what I like to call, "coerveritus" where player holds possession dribbling and doing "moves" until they "lose the ball" after advancing it. This is really more to do with the players having the technical skills but neither the speed of play, nor not the tactical development yet.

Also, no one should be worried about what group they are in. Coerver is meant to be done a minimum of two days a week and is best with three days at you're ages. If you just do this for a short stint, or once a week, then do not expect any benefit. But also, you really can't be complaining or say it doesn't work...you have not been enveloped in the program long enough for it to help you.

I credit coerver with getting my oldest child from playing NPSL select up into ECNL. Also my middle child (rec) going from being so intimidated they didn't want to do anything but cry on the field to now being on a premiere team in only two years. The thing is to stick with it. It's about the time you put in and touches on the ball.

Again, the key is to go twice a week, three times if you can. And go every weekend even if you don't want to, even if it's raining, even if you child says no. It works.

Can you get to an A team and college without Coerver? Yes. Great athletes can showcase themselves in any situation. But a great athlete doing this program or any other program will be in a much better position to compete once they are in HS than if they went without it.
      I agree with what you say especially about the going regularly. I see alot of people take the 8 week session and say Coerver didn't help their kid. Or I took a skills class to get ready for tryouts. The only thing that gets kids ready for tryouts is years of training. Not an eight week session beforehand. Also Coerver makes your kid worse at tryouts if you only do it once. The first time kids do Coerver they gain new set of ideas. Those ideas run counter to what makes you seen at tryouts, which is strong fast moving play. Coerver slows kids down until after a few years of sessions when it all clicks and they can be creative at speed.

Also in theory I agree with your 5v5 comment but I don't think that is what I have been seeing implemented at Coerver NW over many years. However I also credit Coerver with making my kids foot work way better which makes them better in games. So maybe you're right. Not sure.

Comment

Waza is Futsal that develops players technical and speed of play ultimately. My daughter loves it as she gets to go against boys. The coach normally splits the group based on level, with ECNL/DA/ Top A players working together and A/B players together. Another thing that's cool is players from Pac, Eastside, Seattle, Xfire and even some WPFC players play with each other.

Coerver has changed its ways from just skill moves to actual pressure situations which is a lot better. It has helped my daughter over the years but she prefers Waza

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        The Eastside Thread blew up into a Coerver thread so I thought I would start a new one and compare Waza vs Coerver.

Has anyone done both and have a valid comparison?

Comment

What is the difference between Waza and Eagleclaw Futsal? Lots of Eastside FC players do Eagleclaw Futsal.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X