Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parent Tournament Fails

Thank you fellow parents for another few tournament weekends of proving that we parents are some of the dumbest soccer people around.

Anyone else have fun/stupid parent fail stories from the last few weeks of tournaments. Wow I have heard some doozies over the past few weeks. My favorites are the ref bashing at the top of your lungs about fouls. This one can be heard almost every game and is becoming my favorite. "Ref you are blowing the game for us." The last time I heard it, yesterday, it is was in context to a shoulder to shoulder check at midfield where the smaller girl fell to the ground. Let's be clear about this. Your defender that didn't mark the winger who scored a goal blew the game for you. Not gaining a free kick at midfield that was just a strong shoulder to shoulder challenge at midfield and the ref calling it correctly. Hangs head in shame that is was a parent on my team that yelled it.

The best parent one of the weekend was after 2 players got tangled up and our player suplexed their player to the ground and didn't get a card, one of their parents yelled "what do they have to do to get a card, use a gun?" The parent was ejected from the game, but the 3-4 minutes it took helped them preserve a 1 goal lead.

The next best was seeing the parents of an RCL 1 team playing up a year in a tournament celebrating like they won the world cup after beating a select B team by a goal in the final. If you're playing up in a tournament, shouldn't you be in the gold division and not bronze? Yes, they really play in RCL 1.

The best coach one of the weekend was when our keeper had the ball, their player clipped the keeper in the head, the keeper then drops the ball and they score. The keeper is on the ground grabbing his head and the coach starts arguing that the goal should stand. The sad thing is that after being badgered by the coach, the young referee counted the goal.

Comment

Parent Tournament Fails

Summer tournaments are probably the best places to witness these parent fails. You're watching another team play while your kid is warming up on the sidelines. You could care less who wins or loses and don't know any of the kids. You start to see all of the typical parent types:

The helicopter parents - Their telling Timmy every single thing that he needs to do on the field. When Timmy is bumped to the ground, they want to run to the field to swoop him up. They are asking each other why the ref didn't see it as a foul. They also want all of the other players to pass Timmy the ball. Because you know, Timmy was wide open and could have won the game for the team.

The former rec coach - they are not only telling their kid what to do, but are also coaching other players as well. They are actively telling the kids who should take that corner kick. They also put down the kid that missed the corner kick if it was not their kid.

The shouter - they feel the need to yell at the ref or players on the other team. Some of their favorite lines are: "That was not off-sides" "That was off-sides" "that's a yellow card, come on ref!" "Are you blind?" "Their studs were up"

Comment

You forgot my "favorite" kind of parent, which combines all the worst qualities of these three, know nothing about the game, and have wildly unrealistic assessments of Timmy's ability and potential.

My favorite was a family who I watched move between 3 different RCL clubs in 3 years, because their Timmy was the next Nico Lodeiro...they'd move after spending a year on the C team, angry that no one else could see how amazing their child was, only for the process to repeat itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Thank you fellow parents for another few tournament weekends of proving that we parents are some of the dumbest soccer people around.

Anyone else have fun/stupid parent fail stories from the last few weeks of tournaments. Wow I have heard some doozies over the past few weeks. My favorites are the ref bashing at the top of your lungs about fouls. This one can be heard almost every game and is becoming my favorite. "Ref you are blowing the game for us." The last time I heard it, yesterday, it is was in context to a shoulder to shoulder check at midfield where the smaller girl fell to the ground. Let's be clear about this. Your defender that didn't mark the winger who scored a goal blew the game for you. Not gaining a free kick at midfield that was just a strong shoulder to shoulder challenge at midfield and the ref calling it correctly. Hangs head in shame that is was a parent on my team that yelled it.
          Fun fact: there isn’t some law of the game that says shoulder to shoulder challenges are permissible. Shoulder challenges made carelessly, recklessly or with excessive force or without making a play on the ball are fouls. Parents yelling “it was shoulder to shoulder” when the big kid barrels over the little kid and the refs call a fouls are common culprits in the parent fail category.

Comment

Parent Tournament Fails

You forgot my "favorite" kind of parent, which combines all the worst qualities of these three, know nothing about the game, and have wildly unrealistic assessments of Timmy's ability and potential.

My favorite was a family who I watched move between 3 different RCL clubs in 3 years, because their Timmy was the next Nico Lodeiro...they'd move after spending a year on the C team, angry that no one else could see how amazing their child was, only for the process to repeat itself.
            Yes!! That is a really common parent type. I've seen that one over and over. The kid is fine, but it is the parents that feel that their kid is just not being noticed. They burn bridges as they leave, chase the new shiny penny, stick around long enough at the new club to buy a new kit and then rinse and repeat.

Comment

Can i list my own or only other’s fails?

Comment

Parent Tournament Fails

Can i list my own or only other’s fails?
                The beauty of being unregistered is you can pretend it is another parent.

Last weekend, I saw another parent...

Comment

This is a funny/classic column written by Dave Barry a few years ago. Still makes me laugh. Very applicable to this thread and worth the quick read.

SOCCER PARENTING
                  Last night I spoke to a large gathering of South Florida youth-soccer coaches. I presented the following Q&A on how to be a soccer parent. I wish I could say I was exaggerating.

Q&A FOR SOCCER PARENTS
                  By Dave Barry

Q. What is the object of the game of soccer?
                  A. The object of the game of soccer is for your child to score goals, so that he or she will receive a full athletic scholarship to a Division 1-A college.

Q. What is the role of the other children on my child’s team?
                  A. Their role is to pass the ball to your child.

Q. What position should my child play?
                  A. Your child should play forward.

Q. What should I do if the coach wants my child to be a defender?
                  A. Be reasonable. Ask the coach, calmly and politely, why he wants your child to play defense. Listen to his explanation, and consider it carefully. Then, file a lawsuit.

Q. How many minutes should my child play?
                  A. Your child should play however many minutes are in the game.

Q. When is it acceptable for the coach to substitute another player for my child?
                  A. When your child is not at the game.

Q. What is my job, as a parent, during a soccer game?
                  A. Your job is to yell instructions to your child and the other children on your child’s team.

Q. Should I make an effort to educate myself about the rules and tactics of soccer before I start yelling instructions?
                  A. There is no need for that. As a parent, you have a natural intuitive understanding of the game, which you should share with the entire world by constant yelling.

Q. Can you give me some examples of the kinds of instructions I should yell?
                  A. You should yell helpful tactical information, such as:
                  • GET THE BALL!
                  • KICK THE BALL!
                  • I SAID GET THE BALL DAMMIT!
                  • SCORE A GOAL!

Q. Shouldn’t the coach be the one who gives instructions to the players?
                  A. No, the coach is standing too far away to know what is going on.

Q. Should I also yell at the referee?
                  A. Absolutely. The referee is always grateful for the shouted opinions of parents on the sidelines. If the referee makes a call that you disagree with – defined as “a call against your child’s team” -- be sure to let him know, and he will be happy to change it. He will also appreciate it if you remind him, from time to time, that he is an idiot.

Q. What does it mean when my child has the ball taken away by another child?
                  A. It means your child has been fouled. You should let the referee know this immediately.

Q. What should I do if my child falls down?
                  A. Inform the referee that he needs to issue a red card to whatever player was nearest to your child when your child fell down.

Q. What should I do if my child knocks an opposing player down from behind so hard that the opponent is bleeding and screaming in pain, possibly with a bone sticking out of his leg?
                  A. You should yell: “THAT WAS ALL BALL, REF!!”

Q. What should I yell if the other team scores a goal?
                  A. You should yell: “THAT WAS OFFSIDE REF!!”

Q. What does “offside” actually mean?
                  A. Nobody knows.

Q. If my child somehow fails to get a full scholarship to a Division 1-A college, what is the most likely explanation?
                  A. The most likely explanation is that your child is not getting adequate coaching. But it’s also possible that -- to be brutally honest -- you were not yelling loud enough.

Q. I have followed all of your instructions, and for some reason my child is saying that he might want not to keep playing soccer. Also the coach has announced that he will not be with the team next year. Also I have noticed that the other parents have started sitting far away from me on the sidelines.

A. Just ignore them. Some parents can be real jerks.

Posted by Dave on October 15, 2015 at 08:17 AM | Permalink

Comment

Summer tournaments are probably the best places to witness these parent fails. You're watching another team play while your kid is warming up on the sidelines. You could care less who wins or loses and don't know any of the kids. You start to see all of the typical parent types:

The helicopter parents - Their telling Timmy every single thing that he needs to do on the field. When Timmy is bumped to the ground, they want to run to the field to swoop him up. They are asking each other why the ref didn't see it as a foul. They also want all of the other players to pass Timmy the ball. Because you know, Timmy was wide open and could have won the game for the team.

The former rec coach - they are not only telling their kid what to do, but are also coaching other players as well. They are actively telling the kids who should take that corner kick. They also put down the kid that missed the corner kick if it was not their kid.

The shouter - they feel the need to yell at the ref or players on the other team. Some of their favorite lines are: "That was not off-sides" "That was off-sides" "that's a yellow card, come on ref!" "Are you blind?" "Their studs were up"
                    I once see a coach slide on all fours in front of the opposing team when they scored an equaliser . Was the most pathetic thing I have ever seen in a game . That same coach also got caught out for lying about his credentials as a coach and turned out to be nothing more then a mod level coach who had played no higher then a Sunday league team (after telling people he was a former youth player of a premier league team) . Was also nicknamed the gnome by the parents as half the kids was bigger then him at 11 😂

Comment

Fun fact: there isn’t some law of the game that says shoulder to shoulder challenges are permissible. Shoulder challenges made carelessly, recklessly or with excessive force or without making a play on the ball are fouls. Parents yelling “it was shoulder to shoulder” when the big kid barrels over the little kid and the refs call a fouls are common culprits in the parent fail category.
                      You are so right . I have seen a number of shoulder barges that people actually think are legal which are totally not ! I have seen elbows in the ribs where the shoulder comes at an angle ! Totally illegal . People are very confused by what is right and wrong and to be honest a lot of referees don’t even know the laws concerning this .

Comment

You are so right . I have seen a number of shoulder barges that people actually think are legal which are totally not ! I have seen elbows in the ribs where the shoulder comes at an angle ! Totally illegal . People are very confused by what is right and wrong and to be honest a lot of referees don’t even know the laws concerning this .
                        Original Poster here. I did not mean to start a shoulder check argument and here lies the problem with you and the other poster trying to correct some shoulder check statement on the internet without facts and without even being there. Based on your post my guess is you have yelled at the ref many times in your soccer parenting career about this. Given zero context about the situation it seems imaginations run wild.

Hopefully we all have Fifa law 12 in our memory banks that describes what constitutes a foul. If not go read it. And we all know how subjective that rule is. Basically to sum it up and oversimplify it for those that don't read, it is up to the referee to make that determination based on how the ref sees the play. So in reality the call the ref makes is always correct. Or at least seemingly correct to 50% of the players on the field. The guidance to call a foul is if it is dangerous play, obstruction with contact or no attempt to play the ball. (There is a bit more but you get the idea). In the case of the play I mentioned and to give you context, it was a 50/50 ball that both kids are running for equally and trying to win the ball. Either kid would fall down at a full speed run depending on where contact was made and both players were equally going for the ball. Just so happened that the smaller kid was a lot smaller and bounced off the big kid. Hence the smaller kids parents freaking out. The reason shoulder checks are so contentious is that
                        the contact is made from a seemingly fair position between two people trying to win the same ball. A hit from behind is easy to see and a hit from the front with no intent to play the ball is easy to call. However players have to make contact at some point to win a 50/50 ball since they are both occupying the same space to win the ball. The majority of shoulder to shoulder contact would be considered fair play unless you can visibly see the player moving far away from the ball to forcefully check a player with zero intent to win the ball. Or if the other player already has the ball and you charged that player from the side to hit them off of the ball.

It's amazing how so many people can see the same event so differently. I guess that is why the drama of soccer is so much fun. And why VAR was implemented.

Comment

Worst parents of all

My favorite are the hoity-toity “premier” parents who turn nasty when their $3000 a year soccer player’s RCL-4 team starts losing to a team full of rec scholarship players from Seatac.

Comment

My favorite are the hoity-toity “premier” parents who turn nasty when their $3000 a year soccer player’s RCL-4 team starts losing to a team full of rec scholarship players from Seatac.
                            Could not blame them, I would be frustrated if spending that much money produced less than a rec team. But is there an actual example you are referring to? A specific game? What seatac club/team?

Comment

Oregon Youth Soccer Association just banned a youth coach for the season for referee abuse:

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=158974

https://oysa.affinitysoccer.com/tour...=&gender=girls

Hopefully a few other coaches (and parents) get the message.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X