More Fodder for the Single/Multi-Sport Discussion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about over-use injuries?? I see so many ACL injuries on the girls side, and the majority seem to be one-sport athletes. When I was a kid I don't remember ever seeing an ACL tear, now it's common place, especially at the club level. I find it hard to believe that year-round specialization isn't contributing to this increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I see so many ACL injuries on the girls side, and the majority seem to be one-sport athletes.
      Source?

Comment

As have the athletes. Many are really enjoying school sports and are undeterred from participating. Some say no thanks but lots are choosing to take advantage of school soccer and other scholastic sports like track, lax, basketball, etc. and still do pay to play club soccer.
        This is the new rec soccer, just expensive rec soccer.

Comment

What about over-use injuries?? I see so many ACL injuries on the girls side, and the majority seem to be one-sport athletes. When I was a kid I don't remember ever seeing an ACL tear, now it's common place, especially at the club level. I find it hard to believe that year-round specialization isn't contributing to this increase.
          ACL tears are not overuse injuries, repetitive stress injuries are tendinitis, stress fractures, bursitis
          ect. ACL tears come from poor mechanics, muscle imbalance which reduces dynamic stability and support for the ACL and also contact injuries

Comment

ACL tears are not overuse injuries, repetitive stress injuries are tendinitis, stress fractures, bursitis
            ect. ACL tears come from poor mechanics, muscle imbalance which reduces dynamic stability and support for the ACL and also contact injuries
            Thanks doc. How about blisters on your fingers? Too much keyboarding, right? Find another hobby people. Blogging in the basement isn't a sport.

Comment

This is the new rec soccer, just expensive rec soccer.
              It is all rec soccer from ECNL through GDA and all the way on down. When they pay us instead of us paying them....then and only then is it no longer rec.

Comment

It is all rec soccer from ECNL through GDA and all the way on down. When they pay us instead of us paying them....then and only then is it no longer rec.
                Like when that university paid my daughter all the money?

Comment

Like when that university paid my daughter all the money?
                  It s a school team, not a pro team. Sorry , she is a rec player. A very talented player obviously but not a pro.

Comment

It s a school team, not a pro team. Sorry , she is a rec player. A very talented player obviously but not a pro.
                    For $200k over 4 years you can call her what you like.

Comment

For $200k over 4 years you can call her what you like.
                      Regardless of what you call it, it is great you kid is doing well and happy. But anyone that give up multiple sports because your daughter did is a fool. Lots of talented soccer players run track or play basketball or swim or whatever and are perfectly happy and successful. If you want to just play soccer go ahead and if you want to play other sports, go ahead.

Comment

Regardless of what you call it, it is great you kid is doing well and happy. But anyone that give up multiple sports because your daughter did is a fool. Lots of talented soccer players run track or play basketball or swim or whatever and are perfectly happy and successful. If you want to just play soccer go ahead and if you want to play other sports, go ahead.
                        Stats show, that while lots do, most don't.

In speaking to an ex-European pro, he points to this reason why the US will always lag behind. Every minute you spend on the basketball court, is a minute your competition is spending on the pitch. You can't make up that time.

Now, I think, he's most likely correct if we are talking about a scholarshipped D1 player, or a pro. Most of, I would hope, knkow this isn't a reality.

I have a family member who got an almost full-ride to a prestigious private school because she played 3 sports. They could fill three roster spots with one person, so schools were throwing money at her and she started for all 3 as a freshman.

That is the more realistic goal for many, I would think.

The trick is getting you and your kids to realize that at a young age without the message coming across as "you suck".

Comment

Stats show, that while lots do, most don't.

In speaking to an ex-European pro, he points to this reason why the US will always lag behind. Every minute you spend on the basketball court, is a minute your competition is spending on the pitch. You can't make up that time.

Now, I think, he's most likely correct if we are talking about a scholarshipped D1 player, or a pro. Most of, I would hope, knkow this isn't a reality.

I have a family member who got an almost full-ride to a prestigious private school because she played 3 sports. They could fill three roster spots with one person, so schools were throwing money at her and she started for all 3 as a freshman.

That is the more realistic goal for many, I would think.

The trick is getting you and your kids to realize that at a young age without the message coming across as "you suck".
                          IF the US has to lag behind in soccer so that kids can be happy playing multiple sports BFD.

What exactly did you euro pro friend get out of this dedication? A sports trophy? USA has spoken and we dont think the trophy is worth that. And they are right. It is a sports trophy - a little important, not a lot important. USA will prefer to compete globally where it counts. Countries that cant do that can settle for sports victories.

Comment

IF the US has to lag behind in soccer so that kids can be happy playing multiple sports BFD.

What exactly did you euro pro friend get out of this dedication? A sports trophy? USA has spoken and we dont think the trophy is worth that. And they are right. It is a sports trophy - a little important, not a lot important. USA will prefer to compete globally where it counts. Countries that cant do that can settle for sports victories.
                            He had a career and made some money and played in U-x World Cups. I don't believe he was ever capped for his top National team though.

As for your second sentence...why doesn't everyone just play rec then? I don't get your point.

Comment

He had a career and made some money and played in U-x World Cups. I don't believe he was ever capped for his top National team though.

As for your second sentence...why doesn't everyone just play rec then? I don't get your point.
                              Did not mean him personally. You implied that for the USA as a country to compete globally, kids need to dedicate themselves more to soccer.That may be true. It also may be true that competing globally on the soccer field is not the wisest or most common priority for young USA players.

Comment

Did not mean him personally. You implied that for the USA as a country to compete globally, kids need to dedicate themselves more to soccer.That may be true. It also may be true that competing globally on the soccer field is not the wisest or most common priority for young USA players.
                                OK, got it. And, yes, for 99.99999% of the general population this doesn't apply to them. I thought I mentioned that.

Hence, I used the 3-sport example as something that is more realistic for a few more.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X