Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timbers Firesale

No Nagbe, no Mattocks, and now the Timbers name some nobody from the NASL as head coach. It's a good thing the MLS doesn't have relegation, because the Timbers are headed for the bottom three in the league next season.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No Nagbe, no Mattocks, and now the Timbers name some nobody from the NASL as head coach. It's a good thing the MLS doesn't have relegation, because the Timbers are headed for the bottom three in the league next season.
    Even years they suck. Odd years they rule. Next year is an even year.

Comment

Even years they suck. Odd years they rule. Next year is an even year.
      Seriously? Why on earth would this be?

Comment

Will they bring in some new management?

Comment

Seriously? Why on earth would this be?
          I dunno, but it's true--at least in the five years Porter has been here.

2013: Best record in West.
          2014: Miss playoffs
          2015: Win MLS cup:
          2016: Miss playoffs
          2017: Best record in West.

After 2015, they lost some key talent--in particular, losing Villafaña and Urruti hurt. Then injuries hit. This year they were also bitten by injuries. Next year, both Adi and Nagbe are likely to be gone. Mattocks is gone already.

Now whether or not the new coach will be succesful in MLS, I don't know. He's succeeded in NASL, but this will be his first MLS gig.

Comment

It’s time for a new GM with a new direction. That won’t happen thought because GW has lined the pockets of Paulson.

Comment

I dunno, but it's true--at least in the five years Porter has been here.

2013: Best record in West.
              2014: Miss playoffs
              2015: Win MLS cup:
              2016: Miss playoffs
              2017: Best record in West.

After 2015, they lost some key talent--in particular, losing Villafaña and Urruti hurt. Then injuries hit. This year they were also bitten by injuries. Next year, both Adi and Nagbe are likely to be gone. Mattocks is gone already.

Now whether or not the new coach will be succesful in MLS, I don't know. He's succeeded in NASL, but this will be his first MLS gig.
              New coach is from NY Cosmos, a much bigger and more storied club than Portland Timbers...

Comment

New coach is from NY Cosmos, a much bigger and more storied club than Portland Timbers...
                Yes, because after all, they brought us a over the hill, way past his prime, Pele to try to ignite interest in soccer in the US back in the 1970s.

Comment

But on the bright side, a bunch of upper middle class white girls are getting free academy soccer courtesy of the guy who doesn't want to pay Nagbe.

Comment

But on the bright side, a bunch of upper middle class white girls are getting free academy soccer courtesy of the guy who doesn't want to pay Nagbe.
                    So it's NAGBE that's funding GDA. And here I thought it was OYSA league fees! Silly me!

Comment

So it's NAGBE that's funding GDA. And here I thought it was OYSA league fees! Silly me!
                      Combination of OYSA fees and Merritt Paulson are funding GDA. This is indisputable fact.

Money spent by Paulson on GDA is money he can't pay Nagbe. You must be really stupid if I have to explain basic math to you.

Comment

Combination of OYSA fees and Merritt Paulson are funding GDA. This is indisputable fact.

Money spent by Paulson on GDA is money he can't pay Nagbe. You must be really stupid if I have to explain basic math to you.
                        Parents are paying for about $200,000 of GDA travel costs with fees, tryout fees and that doesn't include food.

I know I heard that the throns for lighting the fields during practice but that is silly.

Comment

Paulsen is paying for it. Which revenue streams go to GDA, which go to buying beer for games, which go to pay Nagbe and other players, which go to Prov Park expansion, and which go to Paulsen's pocket, are irrelevant.

Nagbe's starting to get a bit long in the tooth; and he's a center mid that only scored three goals all year (even of two of them were GotY candidates). While he's unique in that he's an American player older than 25 who can dribble a soccer ball under pressure, which is why he was on the USMNT there are plenty of better midfielders out there. I can see why trading him is on the table. I always figured he'd go to Europe, but he has plateaued, and Celtic were the only teams interested in his services. And these days, Scottish football isn't really any better than MLS--La Liga it's not.

Comment

Parents are paying for about $200,000 of GDA travel costs with fees, tryout fees and that doesn't include food.

I know I heard that the throns for lighting the fields during practice but that is silly.
                            Parents know this and are ok with it.

Comment

Paulsen is paying for it. Which revenue streams go to GDA, which go to buying beer for games, which go to pay Nagbe and other players, which go to Prov Park expansion, and which go to Paulsen's pocket, are irrelevant.

Nagbe's starting to get a bit long in the tooth; and he's a center mid that only scored three goals all year (even of two of them were GotY candidates). While he's unique in that he's an American player older than 25 who can dribble a soccer ball under pressure, which is why he was on the USMNT there are plenty of better midfielders out there. I can see why trading him is on the table. I always figured he'd go to Europe, but he has plateaued, and Celtic were the only teams interested in his services. And these days, Scottish football isn't really any better than MLS--La Liga it's not.
                              Paulsen is putting absolutely nothing into Thornz Asylum. Just ask him.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X