Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I know some were questioning his transitioning to D1 from D3 but he has a very good track record.
    Very good resume. I'm sure he will do well.

Comment

Not sure why people think moving into a scholarship program is so difficult. Learning curve, sure, but it isn't rocket science. Reading the school's announcement it sounds like the school was impressed with not only his soccer track record but the academic success of his players. Says a lot about what why were looking for.
      Legacy in laws

Comment

Legacy in laws
        Sure. The school hired him because of his in laws. His strong track record had nothing to do with it.

Why all the hate bro? You with CFC? Upset one of your coaches didn't land the job?

Comment

Sure. The school hired him because of his in laws. His strong track record had nothing to do with it.

Why all the hate bro? You with CFC? Upset one of your coaches didn't land the job?
          I don’t think anyone is hating. Fair question as to how much success at a good academic D3 will translate to an average academic D1 in a different area of the country. Also a fair point to question whether someone who has never dealt with scholarship money will be equipped to deal with it. Easy when everyone pays or gets FA. Certainly seems like he knows his stuff on the field, but recruiting is a big question mark. You mention CFC. If he’s smart, he tries to forge ties with them ASAP. I could be completely wrong, but I don’t think they can win without CFC kids at Fairfield. Not enough of a national reputation. JMO

Comment

You hit the nail right on the head...

Comment

Not sure why people think moving into a scholarship program is so difficult. Learning curve, sure, but it isn't rocket science. Reading the school's announcement it sounds like the school was impressed with not only his soccer track record but the academic success of his players. Says a lot about what why were looking for.
              I’ve never heard of Illinois Wesleyan. Is it a strong academic school? If so, the academic success of their players should be a given. There isn’t scholarship money so only strong students would get in I assume? Seems pretty easy to do well in that instance. Now if MD’s kids at CCSU have a strong academic track record at CCSU, then I’ll be impressed. I think the guy will do fine, but I wouldn’t minimize the difficulty of dealing with scholarship money. Where he was, all he had to do was siphon through who he wanted and make sure they could get in. At FU, getting in won’t be an issue, but he has to mix and match money to land the best recruits and then hope lessor recruits have the ability to pay 45K+ to go there. Not as easy as it sounds.

Comment

I don’t think anyone is hating. Fair question as to how much success at a good academic D3 will translate to an average academic D1 in a different area of the country. Also a fair point to question whether someone who has never dealt with scholarship money will be equipped to deal with it. Easy when everyone pays or gets FA. Certainly seems like he knows his stuff on the field, but recruiting is a big question mark. You mention CFC. If he’s smart, he tries to forge ties with them ASAP. I could be completely wrong, but I don’t think they can win without CFC kids at Fairfield. Not enough of a national reputation. JMO
                How many kids from one club is a coach going to take? Not many. Two tops. Current roster has 3 CT players, 2 from CFC and I'm assuming the other (not listed) was FSA and she's from northern CT. There's plenty of kids in the NE he can recruit; no need to go national and that I agree would be difficult at best. Get some good MA, NJ, NY, CT, PA players and you've got a team. Plenty of talent out there without having to rely heavily on any one club.

Comment

Word has it they had a number of D1 Power 5 AC’s that applied. Plus a few D2 coaches that have been to Final 4’s. The FU AD and the new coach go way back. Both worked at Yale together. FU President is also a Yale grad. Coach’s wife went to Yale. Ivy ties run deep. Not difficult to see why they made this hire, but good for them. It’s a who you know world out there. Much ado about nothing. He will do just fine there. Difficult to lose there. It’s a good school, with a nice campus and pretty well funded. Conference is also not great. I expect them to be back in the top 3-4 of the conference in short order.

Comment

How many kids from one club is a coach going to take? Not many. Two tops. Current roster has 3 CT players, 2 from CFC and I'm assuming the other (not listed) was FSA and she's from northern CT. There's plenty of kids in the NE he can recruit; no need to go national and that I agree would be difficult at best. Get some good MA, NJ, NY, CT, PA players and you've got a team. Plenty of talent out there without having to rely heavily on any one club.
                    Just my personal opinion, but I think you need a strong core of kids from your home state to be successful. Not a team full of them, but a solid core. 3-4 per year and soon you have 10-12 on your roster. Those other states you mention all have good options of their own. Why Fairfield? Could pluck some for sure but you’re probably not getting their best kids. NJ kids will go to Princeton (if they can get in), Rutgers, Monmouth and FDU before Fairfield. MA kids will head to BC, BU, Northeastern or UMass. If they’re really good, they’ll head to a national program. If they want to go out of state, then maybe Fairfield gets in the mix, but certainly not the best kids which is why you need to build from within. Fairfield’s best teams always had a strong core of CT kids on them. The best kids? Not necessarily. But good players. Why aren’t they getting them now? I’m not really sure, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that their decline to the bottom of the conference and QU’s rise and the result of Fairfield not getting CT kids and QU getting them.

Comment

I’ve never heard of Illinois Wesleyan. Is it a strong academic school? If so, the academic success of their players should be a given. There isn’t scholarship money so only strong students would get in I assume? Seems pretty easy to do well in that instance. Now if MD’s kids at CCSU have a strong academic track record at CCSU, then I’ll be impressed. I think the guy will do fine, but I wouldn’t minimize the difficulty of dealing with scholarship money. Where he was, all he had to do was siphon through who he wanted and make sure they could get in. At FU, getting in won’t be an issue, but he has to mix and match money to land the best recruits and then hope lessor recruits have the ability to pay 45K+ to go there. Not as easy as it sounds.
                      Yes good academics - 75% had 31 ACT and 740 math and 670 reading SAT. But if you think convincing kids to go to a tiny D3 school (1600 students) in Bloomington IL is easy you'd be sorely mistaken. It's a corn town among cornfields. He was able to get kids from CA, CO, TX, who probably wouldn't give IW a second thought normally, not just IL kids. FU is D1, much bigger, close to the beach, NYC etc. Hardest thing with FU is there are so many other good D3 and D1 schools from MA to DC for players to chose from.

- former IL resident

Comment

Word has it they had a number of D1 Power 5 AC’s that applied. Plus a few D2 coaches that have been to Final 4’s. The FU AD and the new coach go way back. Both worked at Yale together. FU President is also a Yale grad. Coach’s wife went to Yale. Ivy ties run deep. Not difficult to see why they made this hire, but good for them. It’s a who you know world out there. Much ado about nothing. He will do just fine there. Difficult to lose there. It’s a good school, with a nice campus and pretty well funded. Conference is also not great. I expect them to be back in the top 3-4 of the conference in short order.
                        Nepotism / elitism

Comment

Just my personal opinion, but I think you need a strong core of kids from your home state to be successful. Not a team full of them, but a solid core. 3-4 per year and soon you have 10-12 on your roster. Those other states you mention all have good options of their own. Why Fairfield? Could pluck some for sure but you’re probably not getting their best kids. NJ kids will go to Princeton (if they can get in), Rutgers, Monmouth and FDU before Fairfield. MA kids will head to BC, BU, Northeastern or UMass. If they’re really good, they’ll head to a national program. If they want to go out of state, then maybe Fairfield gets in the mix, but certainly not the best kids which is why you need to build from within. Fairfield’s best teams always had a strong core of CT kids on them. The best kids? Not necessarily. But good players. Why aren’t they getting them now? I’m not really sure, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that their decline to the bottom of the conference and QU’s rise and the result of Fairfield not getting CT kids and QU getting them.
                          Or that FU didn't develop a strong enough network outside of the state so once their CT connections shrunk they weren't ready for it. I looked at the roster link someone posted - Coach had 11 players about 40% of his IW roster from IL, a much bigger state than CT. To get 10 solid CT players who want FU would be a huge stretch. You can't rely on a such a small state to fill a successful roster. There just isn't enough talent and as you said they have many other options close to home.

btw QU only has 7 CT players; they've got players from all over including a few internationals. Of those listed two are OW, one CFC for sure and probably a 2nd, three are from OW/FSA territory but clubs not listed. Again, CT is too small and so is CFC.

Comment

Nepotism / elitism
                            Your bitterness runs deep. Sorry you didn't get an offer but it's a good hire and it's time for you to move on

Comment

A school like Fairfield needs to have 2 to 3 CT kids in the mix every year. Its not going to be a destination for the elite players but a great option for next level down. Decent school academically and proximity to NYC and Stamford helps with employment four years later. They aren't going to majoring in soccer.

Comment

Your bitterness runs deep. Sorry you didn't get an offer but it's a good hire and it's time for you to move on
                                Elitist ...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X