X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check it out yourself

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So it sounds like more money out and politics? Any better options?
    Your listening to one persons advice. I suggest you go to first try out and check it ou. Talk with the coaches or better yet, talk with them in advance.

Not a coach myself, my DD's are in OPL league but have found this program to be a great program. No Politics, just your kids going to get out of it what they are willing out into it, just like us parents. What are you willing to do for your kids to improve their level of play.

There is always someone bigger, better faster but such is life. I've seen the Rosters change as well.

Comment

Agree, and it really makes you think what is training going to look like. How does the club keep functioning?
      Hopefully they have the caution tape down from around the muddy soup goal creases at Harmony by the time tryouts happen...

Comment

Your listening to one persons advice. I suggest you go to first try out and check it ou. Talk with the coaches or better yet, talk with them in advance.

Not a coach myself, my DD's are in OPL league but have found this program to be a great program. No Politics, just your kids going to get out of it what they are willing out into it, just like us parents. What are you willing to do for your kids to improve their level of play.

There is always someone bigger, better faster but such is life. I've seen the Rosters change as well.
        To break out of the RTC and get to Regional Camp there is a huge amount of politics with coaches choosing players from their club over better players from other clubs to go to the Regional Camp. The politics at the next level are different but equally bad. Players with "reputations" can come into Regional Camp and get thoroughly out played yet they will get promoted to Holdover Camp because the coaches think they know how good they are from seeing them previously. These are not just the observations of players passed over but coaches at camp and parents of players who DID get promoted.

This is the reality of ODP beyond RTC and has contributed to its decline as the better players don't see the point in spending the money or putting in the effort when the game is fixed.

Does that mean a qualified player should not do the RTC? No. Just know that politics will determine who and how far players will go.

Comment

To break out of the RTC and get to Regional Camp there is a huge amount of politics with coaches choosing players from their club over better players from other clubs to go to the Regional Camp. The politics at the next level are different but equally bad. Players with "reputations" can come into Regional Camp and get thoroughly out played yet they will get promoted to Holdover Camp because the coaches think they know how good they are from seeing them previously. These are not just the observations of players passed over but coaches at camp and parents of players who DID get promoted.

This is the reality of ODP beyond RTC and has contributed to its decline as the better players don't see the point in spending the money or putting in the effort when the game is fixed.

Does that mean a qualified player should not do the RTC? No. Just know that politics will determine who and how far players will go.
          That is really sad .

Comment

It's not only really sad, it's really true. Or at least is was a couple of years ago.

Comment

Be sure to bring your check book.... RTC only the horrible don't make the cut!

Comment

That was our experience as well. Personally, if we had to do it again, we would opt not to do it in the first place. She won't being trying out this year for sure. If that helps.

Comment

There are always crazy parents who think their kid is better than they are and more than willing to put the responsibility on others or make excuses. People forget kids actually have to be everything their parents think they are in a limited window or they get left out. If your kid is good enough they will get on to the next level out of ODP into regional camp, if they are bubble or not good enough (not in your mind) they may not.

No reason to slam or bash because your politicking didnt get your kid the invite they wanted.

Comment

There are always crazy parents who think their kid is better than they are and more than willing to put the responsibility on others or make excuses. People forget kids actually have to be everything their parents think they are in a limited window or they get left out. If your kid is good enough they will get on to the next level out of ODP into regional camp, if they are bubble or not good enough (not in your mind) they may not.

No reason to slam or bash because your politicking didnt get your kid the invite they wanted.
                    Agreed. And you'll certainly find that top 10 players 99% of the time get to where they should go because they are everything they should be. Its the number 11-25 is where you get parents like the ones on here whining and crying and calling it political because suzy q who is number 8 on the depth chart made it to regional because they showed well while jenny q who's mom thinks she is top 3 in the state decided to tryout like she is supposed to be given a spot before tryouts lays an egg and now mom is on TS flaming the coaches who clearly must not have more knowledge than she does....

It takes a certain person or family to be evaluated and an ever better one to take evaluations of 5-6 coaches including regional coaches who scout and state level coaches and not make excuses when they aren't entitled to a spot.

If your good enough, you'll go a ways. If you aren't, its not everyone else, its your kid and probably your influence which hurts them. Do yourself a favor and not teach your kid to make excuses or blame others because they come up short.

Comment

Agreed. And you'll certainly find that top 10 players 99% of the time get to where they should go because they are everything they should be. Its the number 11-25 is where you get parents like the ones on here whining and crying and calling it political because suzy q who is number 8 on the depth chart made it to regional because they showed well while jenny q who's mom thinks she is top 3 in the state decided to tryout like she is supposed to be given a spot before tryouts lays an egg and now mom is on TS flaming the coaches who clearly must not have more knowledge than she does....

It takes a certain person or family to be evaluated and an ever better one to take evaluations of 5-6 coaches including regional coaches who scout and state level coaches and not make excuses when they aren't entitled to a spot.

If your good enough, you'll go a ways. If you aren't, its not everyone else, its your kid and probably your influence which hurts them. Do yourself a favor and not teach your kid to make excuses or blame others because they come up short.
                      Dont say that! Responsibility? Self Respect? No Entitlement? Earning?

Noooooooooo...........just cut a check for 10k and you can skip the vetting process of coaches who know the game and buy yourself into a cool national league where you kinda get to be associated with good players.

Comment

Wow! The wanting group is out today!

Some of you need to have a little self respect. My goodness some of you sound like babies. Truly.

My DD did not do it the previous year because her club coach said she wasn't ready yet. We waited until last year and she try'd out. Didn't know any of the coaches and made it to regional camp where she had a great time and learned a lot.

I find it completely laughable that some people cannot handle not getting chosen for something if they DID NOT earn it. The previous poster was right. Someone being vetted through 6-8 coaches to be chosen or NOT chosen is ALL political or another parent of a sub-par player needs to make an excuse why their kid wasn't gifted something not earned.

Comment

Some of you need to have a little self respect. My goodness some of you sound like babies. Truly.

My DD did not do it the previous year because her club coach said she wasn't ready yet. We waited until last year and she try'd out. Didn't know any of the coaches and made it to regional camp where she had a great time and learned a lot.

I find it completely laughable that some people cannot handle not getting chosen for something if they DID NOT earn it. The previous poster was right. Someone being vetted through 6-8 coaches to be chosen or NOT chosen is ALL political or another parent of a sub-par player needs to make an excuse why their kid wasn't gifted something not earned.
                          But evidently a jewish Mary was preggo traveling with a guy she did not sleep with :/. With the penalty being stoning if ever caught out of wedlock...But miraculously it was conceived by god.

People will believe anything and its much easier to believe in fantasy i.e. my kid is amazing and never-mind she can't kick with her left foot, she should have made *&&%% regional s because the damn team managers kid made it and she's awful!

Sooner you realize this, you won't feel the need to call out parents showing their kid that class and self respect mean very little when it comes to owning up.

Comment

You cannot deny that it is a conflict of interest for the direct Club coaches for some of these players are the ones that are choosing these opportunities. ODP can't be respectable until they remove this advantage. (And my son made it to Regional camp).

Comment

Excuses excuses

You are mistaken. The regional camp invites are invited by the regional staff. This comes from evaluations from the odp championships, friendship cup and to a lesser extent head coach evaluation input. There is very little politicking involved. None of the full time Region Iv staff is from Oregon.

Next excuse please.

Comment

You cannot deny that it is a conflict of interest for the direct Club coaches for some of these players are the ones that are choosing these opportunities. ODP can't be respectable until they remove this advantage. (And my son made it to Regional camp).
                                I call BS on your son. And maybe you should point out the "respectable" image of US training center and the FC portland coaches like Chambers gifting spots and pushing their own players upward. Not saying either is right but it happens everywhere and the only thing you can do about it is make sure your kid leaves no room for doubt which most do.

But it doesn't strike me as your kid is good enough to do that....I see your complaining now.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X