X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefits of being a team manager

Does it help your kid make a team?

I am wondering because I don't want my kid to make a team because of me.

I dont know that I have ever heard a managers kid being cut. May not get them more playing time tho.

Comment

no it won't help. I think you will find that most coaches in Portland want to pick up the best players, unless it's their son or daughter, and will take the best players.

You won't likely be asked to be the manager unless your kids already made the team. Unless you are deep pockets and they think you will help bankroll the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Marbull View Post
        I dont know that I have ever heard a managers kid being cut. May not get them more playing time tho.
        I have seen the child of the team manager cut (not actually cut from the club, but moved down to their own age group)

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Does it help your kid make a team?

I am wondering because I don't want my kid to make a team because of me.
          Are you the coach's spouse?

Comment

no it won't help. I think you will find that most coaches in Portland want to pick up the best players, unless it's their son or daughter, and will take the best players.

You won't likely be asked to be the manager unless your kids already made the team. Unless you are deep pockets and they think you will help bankroll the team.
            Coach's kid scenario is pretty frustrating.

Comment

I started to type that but left it out. You are right. Especially when coaches son is not the best and gets to play either striker or central defender. It can cause a lot of hair being pulled out.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you would not offer to manage a team unless your child already made the team. Pretty dumb question.

Comment

Maybe someone asking from FCP or club that has pool play? Only do manager if you really want to help unselfishly and can delegate and get along with people. More work than reward but someone has to do it.

Comment

Tell us about it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you would not offer to manage a team unless your child already made the team. Pretty dumb question.
                      Yes, our manager is selected by the coach after the tryouts. I don't know what soccer world the OP lives in, but not one that I've ever visited.

Comment

Our team manager is horrible. She is catty, power hungry, and just sucks up to the coach. Before you attack me, I have tried to help out, or take over. She won't give up control. Her daughter is the weakest player on the team. Her daughter only made the team because of her being the manager.

Comment

I started to type that but left it out. You are right. Especially when coaches son is not the best and gets to play either striker or central defender. It can cause a lot of hair being pulled out.
                          Yes 2 coaches with kids on the team is worse.

Comment

Yes 2 coaches with kids on the team is worse.
                            In another sport, my DD said she would not play for a team with a parent coach again. She was 10 at the time and had figured out it was lose-lose-lose situation. It should never be allowed.

Comment

Our team manager is horrible. She is catty, power hungry, and just sucks up to the coach. Before you attack me, I have tried to help out, or take over. She won't give up control. Her daughter is the weakest player on the team. Her daughter only made the team because of her being the manager.
                              Team managers always tend to be female.
                              They can have different motivations for wanting the job, some of which are self-serving.

The manager burn-out rate is pretty high. Knowing that you can not please all the people all the time should be a job requirement. Problems arise if/when they attempt to take on additional authority (social director, acting assistant coach, tournament selection, etc)

A few of the stereotypes I've seen:

Reluctant volunteer......."I guess I'll do it since nobody else wants to"
                              Worst player's mom........"My kid needs some insider help"
                              Best player's mom.........."This job gives me bragging rights"
                              Coach's spouse............ "Let's keep control of this team in the family"
                              Enthusiastic multi-tasking over-achiever....."Pick me, pick me"

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X