Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Wow, what club are you with? Managers don't get squat at our club. In fact, we get stuck paying for the deadbeats who don't pay their tournament fees and last minute costs that weren't figured in the original amount. Basically, we are paying extra to do the thankless work nobody else wants to do.
    That should never happen. Our treasurer was great at estimating the costs and making sure she put a buffer in so that we always had the funds to cover all of the fees. We then gave a refund at the end of the year for any overage. And if a kid didn't pay up front for their fees, the coach was told and that kid was threatened with having their card pulled if they didn't play. Everyone had to say out or in for a tournament, the total fees were then divided up by the number of players in. It stinks that you got caught having to pay for fund shortages, but that was avoidable.

Comment

In fact, we get stuck paying for the deadbeats who don't pay their tournament fees and last minute costs that weren't figured in the original amount.
      Then it wasn't managed correctly. In no document I have ever read does it state it's the manager's duty to provide financial assistance to the team. A manager should never have to cover fees for a player unless it's your contribution to the team in which case, you shouldn't complain about doing it. If a player doesn't pay, they don't play. Scholarships are available.

Comment

I am not one of those crazy parents who complains about everything. I keep my mouth shut and observe. What I have observed over the years is the our team manager has his fingers in everything and is the root of the problems on our team. I don't want to complain about him so I just bare it. It makes for a horrible experience at times. The worst is when I see him before a game talking to the coach and pointing at players discussing why he thinks certain players should be played etc. I trust our coach has the best interest of my child in mind, but I do not in any way trust the team manager has my child's best interest in mind...he has HIS child's best interest in mind.
        I think you have a bad case of parent goggles. You think your child is a star and reality is they are not. So you come on here running your mouth trying to make yourself feel better. Good Luck.

Comment

That should never happen. Our treasurer was great at estimating the costs and making sure she put a buffer in so that we always had the funds to cover all of the fees. We then gave a refund at the end of the year for any overage. And if a kid didn't pay up front for their fees, the coach was told and that kid was threatened with having their card pulled if they didn't play. Everyone had to say out or in for a tournament, the total fees were then divided up by the number of players in. It stinks that you got caught having to pay for fund shortages, but that was avoidable.
          Well in most cases the team manager is also the treasurer. I'm not sure I'm comfortable adding in a buffer but that would probably solve the issue of the shortages.

Comment

Well in most cases the team manager is also the treasurer. I'm not sure I'm comfortable adding in a buffer but that would probably solve the issue of the shortages.
            The manager should never be the treasurer. You need checks and balances. The manager should request funds from the treasurer and provide all detail on what the funds are for. And if you don't want to put in a buffer, then I guess you will continue to cover any overages of costs. For example, the estimate for our coaches room would be $150 even if we went online and found that rooms were going for $130. We knew that the $20 would end up being used somewhere to cover something we forgot about or that came up unexpectedly.

Comment

I am not one of those crazy parents who complains about everything. I keep my mouth shut and observe. What I have observed over the years is the our team manager has his fingers in everything and is the root of the problems on our team. I don't want to complain about him so I just bare it. It makes for a horrible experience at times. The worst is when I see him before a game talking to the coach and pointing at players discussing why he thinks certain players should be played etc. I trust our coach has the best interest of my child in mind, but I do not in any way trust the team manager has my child's best interest in mind...he has HIS child's best interest in mind.
              Do you have some special listening device to know exactly what they are talking about? I think it's rather strange that you just KNOW he's discussing what certain players should be played. I think you need to step back and take a break from soccer and get your life together, this behavior is NOT normal.

Comment

The manager should never be the treasurer. You need checks and balances. The manager should request funds from the treasurer and provide all detail on what the funds are for. And if you don't want to put in a buffer, then I guess you will continue to cover any overages of costs. For example, the estimate for our coaches room would be $150 even if we went online and found that rooms were going for $130. We knew that the $20 would end up being used somewhere to cover something we forgot about or that came up unexpectedly.
                I can't say I disagree with this although you must be with a team that has more volunteers than our team does.

Comment

I can't say I disagree with this although you must be with a team that has more volunteers than our team does.
                  We did. We actually had additional people step up to help with travel too.

Being a manager involves a lot of work, especially on a team that travels a lot. You have to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed for the various leagues and tournaments, which is more work than people realize. Having someone else manage the money not only spreads the work out but is prudent I think. Having people help with travel also is really nice, as travel arrangements can take a decent amount of time. Making reservations for the coach is something people forget needs to be done. If various parents step up and take some chunks of the job, it is really helpful.

Comment

While it's considered a volunteer position, managers get their air, hotel and cars paid for. I don't unfair and when people say there are no benefits.???
                    DAYUM - I am managing a team for the wrong club!
                    Can you direct me to the club where managers get their airfare, hotel and cars paid for? Seriously.

Comment

You sound a little paranoid to me. Just volunteer to do the team manager job and the problem is solved!
                      if your are unfortunate enough to be stuck with the individual I am thinking of - you are in a bad spot. he is horrible. have watched him try to do the same thing with his daughters team for years.

Comment

as long as you keep detailed notes of the actual expenses, there should be no issue. definitely do not let players go without paying.

Comment

I am a team manager

Why do I volunteer to manage my daughter's soccer team?

I volunteer for the same reason I volunteer at school. I volunteer to help. I volunteer because somebody has to do it, and I know that I can do it right. In my opinion, there is nothing more frustrating than having an unorganized person in charge of making arrangements

If I can't get it all done, or am feeling overwhelmed (like making travel arrangements), I ask for help. Everybody has to help at one time or another. I make sure of that.

Is it a lot of work - yes, it sometimes is. But I get to help choose what hotels we stay at, what food we will eat, and when we have team functions. I get to put in my two cents about our tournament schedule (merely suggestions that are sometimes taken into consideration).

Is my DD a starter, sometimes yes, sometimes no. But when another team is looking for a guest player, my DD gets the first spot.

It is not thankless either. Most parents are pretty appreciative, so it's OK.

Comment

DAYUM - I am managing a team for the wrong club!
                            Can you direct me to the club where managers get their airfare, hotel and cars paid for? Seriously.
                            No kidding. That would have been nice. Would have cut our costs down a bunch having the other parents pick up for my travel.

Comment

No kidding. That would have been nice. Would have cut our costs down a bunch having the other parents pick up for my travel.
                              I have been involved in two different clubs where the team manager's hotel and airfare are covered. It is 100% worth the extra $20-$25 per player/travel tournament per player for the manager's hard work.

Comment

I have been involved in two different clubs where the team manager's hotel and airfare are covered. It is 100% worth the extra $20-$25 per player/travel tournament per player for the manager's hard work.
                                Boy, that would have been nice to know this past year. I wonder if it's too late to go back and collect these fees from our parents?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X