Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do we go from here

Just found this board, seems pretty intense in here! My son plays on the Westside U11 Copa team, recently won the Beav' Cup. I was/am pretty happy with everything. Then I came on to these boards and there is a lot of criticism of TA teams, OYSL (did I get that right?) vs OPL, etc. I'm really just here to support my son, not super concerned about future scholarships or anything.

I was planning on continuing with the current team at least this year and next, he wants to try out for the RTC coming up (also read on the boards that this is controversial?). So are there other clubs/organizations that the competitive players will migrate to over the next few years or will our current Westside club remain competitive as we move up the age ladder? We've been pretty dominant the last 3 years or so and I'm encouraged by the style of play and focus on technical/athletic ability over just winning.

I guess my question is, for competitive boys, are there traditional routes taken as they age into the 13 - 16 year old bracket? Are Westside competitive at that level and what is the level of coaching like? Thanks!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just found this board, seems pretty intense in here! My son plays on the Westside U11 Copa team, recently won the Beav' Cup. I was/am pretty happy with everything. Then I came on to these boards and there is a lot of criticism of TA teams, OYSL (did I get that right?) vs OPL, etc. I'm really just here to support my son, not super concerned about future scholarships or anything.

I was planning on continuing with the current team at least this year and next, he wants to try out for the RTC coming up (also read on the boards that this is controversial?). So are there other clubs/organizations that the competitive players will migrate to over the next few years or will our current Westside club remain competitive as we move up the age ladder? We've been pretty dominant the last 3 years or so and I'm encouraged by the style of play and focus on technical/athletic ability over just winning.

I guess my question is, for competitive boys, are there traditional routes taken as they age into the 13 - 16 year old bracket? Are Westside competitive at that level and what is the level of coaching like? Thanks!
    Oh dear god did you come to the wrong place.

Comment

Oh dear god did you come to the wrong place.
      Hahaha is this website aligned with one faction? I don't really know any other soccer parents so I'm figuring it all out as I go.

Comment

eventually opl will fold (god willing)

and everyone will be back in OYSA. (just hard to go it alone ppl, relax.) your player needs to actually fall in love with the game, so that they are begging you for more opportunities to train, or you need to cut them off from playing so they can finish their homework. being on a good/decent team, with friends, where they can enjoy the game, and where your player is a major contributor, is the best place to be. don't be a bench player on an allegedly good team, just because you can. getting in to college, or pros, is largely a factor of your players ability to keep hounding a coach until they earn a look, then earn a spot.

-from someone who has place 13 players at the next level, in 13 years (feel free to post your criticisms of me, i won't respond)

Comment

First, ignore 90% of what you read here (hmm. I wonder if I'm part of that 90%?)

People come on here and bash one side or the other thinking that what they say on this board is really going to some how change things, even though its actually a very small % of parents who even know this site exists.

Realize when you see people bash OYSA (Timbers alliance) teams its because they are current OPL members who are pissed that those teams left. When you see OPL teams bashed (or ENCL on the girls side) realize its mostly OYSA (Timbers alliance) parents who are pissed that they wont come back to OYSA with the rest. So pretty much realize most the bashing on both sides means absolutely nothing.

Since you have a son I would say you are at a good spot. Overall the Timbers alliance teams on the boys side are viewed as the stronger sides. This isn't me being biased, I'm just going by recent history. Plus there is the Timbers academy as he gets older which you often will have a slight leg up coming from a Timbers alliance club (even if they say anyone can make it from anywhere).

Just to show that I am actually trying to be unbiased when it comes to the boys side, if we llook at last years OPL fall season (before the split) and look at the ages u11-U14 (the ages your son will be playing the next few years) This is what the top leagues looked like (and yes I know results dont tell you if they are actually developing, but it does tell you where the top talent is):

This is from 2013 fall NPL (top division):
          Bu11: Top 3 teams finished All Timbers alliance (Westside, Eastside, Wa Timbers). FCP was the only OPL team. Total: 4 Timbers alliance teams, 1 OPL and 3 Outliers (may go either direction this year)
          Bu12: Top 3 teams finished all Timbers alliance (Eastside, Westside, Wa timbers). Thusc was the only OPL team. Total: 5 Timbers alliance teams, 1 OPL, and 2 Outilers.
          Bu13: 1st: FCP 2nd: Westside. Total: 3 Timbers alliance teams, 2 OPL teams, and 3 outliers
          Bu14: BSC took first Westside 2nd. Total: 3 Timbers alliance teams, 2 OPL teams, 3 outliers

As you can see there are some good OPL teams in there, just not as many. So if you are looking at more competition then OYSA will probably end up with more.

Comment

First, ignore 90% of what you read here (hmm. I wonder if I'm part of that 90%?)

People come on here and bash one side or the other thinking that what they say on this board is really going to some how change things, even though its actually a very small % of parents who even know this site exists.

Realize when you see people bash OYSA (Timbers alliance) teams its because they are current OPL members who are pissed that those teams left. When you see OPL teams bashed (or ENCL on the girls side) realize its mostly OYSA (Timbers alliance) parents who are pissed that they wont come back to OYSA with the rest. So pretty much realize most the bashing on both sides means absolutely nothing.

Since you have a son I would say you are at a good spot. Overall the Timbers alliance teams on the boys side are viewed as the stronger sides. This isn't me being biased, I'm just going by recent history. Plus there is the Timbers academy as he gets older which you often will have a slight leg up coming from a Timbers alliance club (even if they say anyone can make it from anywhere).

Just to show that I am actually trying to be unbiased when it comes to the boys side, if we llook at last years OPL fall season (before the split) and look at the ages u11-U14 (the ages your son will be playing the next few years) This is what the top leagues looked like (and yes I know results dont tell you if they are actually developing, but it does tell you where the top talent is):

This is from 2013 fall NPL (top division):
            Bu11: Top 3 teams finished All Timbers alliance (Westside, Eastside, Wa Timbers). FCP was the only OPL team. Total: 4 Timbers alliance teams, 1 OPL and 3 Outliers (may go either direction this year)
            Bu12: Top 3 teams finished all Timbers alliance (Eastside, Westside, Wa timbers). Thusc was the only OPL team. Total: 5 Timbers alliance teams, 1 OPL, and 2 Outilers.
            Bu13: 1st: FCP 2nd: Westside. Total: 3 Timbers alliance teams, 2 OPL teams, and 3 outliers
            Bu14: BSC took first Westside 2nd. Total: 3 Timbers alliance teams, 2 OPL teams, 3 outliers

As you can see there are some good OPL teams in there, just not as many. So if you are looking at more competition then OYSA will probably end up with more.
            There is a trend where Westside finished top 2 at all these age groups. So in your area I would say hes at a very good spot right now.

Comment

Awesome, thanks so much for the input. Your responses really clarified things for me. Looking forward to the NWCL in a few weeks, see how we can compete in a bigger pond. We beat the two Seattle teams that came down over last weekend.

Comment

This whole website is quite shocking. My daughter is also U13. She's an '02 and participated in RTC last year. She really liked it. Met some new friends, trained with a different coach. I guess I should clarify that she hasn't chosen a college yet so she's kind of a slacker. : ). Good luck with the NWCL!

Comment

This whole website is quite shocking. My daughter is also U13. She's an '02 and participated in RTC last year. She really liked it. Met some new friends, trained with a different coach. I guess I should clarify that she hasn't chosen a college yet so she's kind of a slacker. : ). Good luck with the NWCL!
                  Don't believe anything on this site.

ODP has sucked nationally for years. If you want to do ODP find out who the coach is for your DD's age group, then join their club team to ensure a spot on the team. Next year for you it might be T.E. so going join FCSC. Otherwise, save the $400 and get a personal trainer.

Comment

Don't believe anything on this site.

ODP has sucked nationally for years. If you want to do ODP find out who the coach is for your DD's age group, then join their club team to ensure a spot on the team. Next year for you it might be T.E. so going join FCSC. Otherwise, save the $400 and get a personal trainer.
                    Case in point. My daughter is U13 and FCSC doesn't even have a team in our age group. Plus, we don't live in Portland. I'm not worried about her national options right now as she's 12 and only has one year of middle school under her belt. $400 was fair for the number of sessions. It was a good way to gauge her interest.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X