Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    And you too can conclude and play what if all you want. Although I agree that lower costs would drive more demand, although I'm not sure about the 100% you conclude. However, travel does cost and the only way to get around it is via getting someone else to help pay for it, such as a sponsor. I do know a number of talented players who just could not afford ECNL and as such, went to the Thorns because they could afford that.
    Then we agree it's all about the cost. In regards to the 100% of the talent: I would add the caveat that they would have 100% of the talent that wants to play soccer at the highest level and has the desire to play they best and test themselves.

In my experience on the sidelines here in Oregon that means only about 1/2 of what we consider the "best players"!

Comment

Then we agree it's all about the cost. In regards to the 100% of the talent: I would add the caveat that they would have 100% of the talent that wants to play soccer at the highest level and has the desire to play they best and test themselves.

In my experience on the sidelines here in Oregon that means only about 1/2 of what we consider the "best players"!
      So really, it isn't ALL about cost, but cost plays a factor. I think the time committment also plays a role. HS girls have tough schedules and some don't want to, or can't afford, to take that much time away from studying. And for some, the practice locations aren't really convienent. Driving three or four nights a week for up to an hour each way, plus 1.5 hour to practice, pretty much takes away 3.5 hours and the prepping to go to practice and putting your things away after practice is another 30 minutes or so, so really about 4 hours. For some anyway. And that doesn't include the travel to the games.

So the real cost is the money that you pay, plus the time committment and the stress that comes with it. I know a lot of kids stress over grades, and performing on the field at their best and it can be quite a burden.

I think that even if it were free, there are some talented players who wouldn't do it. I know that some very talented players have quit club over the years for various reasons. And they were players that probably could have played in college. But I do agree that lower costs would bring more talented players out to the teams. But location, the time committment and the quality of the coaches all play a role in the decisions, so those can't be ignored.

Comment

So really, it isn't ALL about cost, but cost plays a factor. I think the time committment also plays a role. HS girls have tough schedules and some don't want to, or can't afford, to take that much time away from studying. And for some, the practice locations aren't really convienent. Driving three or four nights a week for up to an hour each way, plus 1.5 hour to practice, pretty much takes away 3.5 hours and the prepping to go to practice and putting your things away after practice is another 30 minutes or so, so really about 4 hours. For some anyway. And that doesn't include the travel to the games.

So the real cost is the money that you pay, plus the time committment and the stress that comes with it. I know a lot of kids stress over grades, and performing on the field at their best and it can be quite a burden.

I think that even if it were free, there are some talented players who wouldn't do it. I know that some very talented players have quit club over the years for various reasons. And they were players that probably could have played in college. But I do agree that lower costs would bring more talented players out to the teams. But location, the time committment and the quality of the coaches all play a role in the decisions, so those can't be ignored.
        The money is a factor, if it were free, everyone would try out. However, it's been overblown on T/S. Having a couple of dd's playing ECNL I can say that my younger is with FCP and they just got back from their Utah trip to play Idaho/Utah and it was only about 1/2 of what was approximated on their (FCP's) web site and that included expenses for playing in NWCL a couple of weeks ago. Nonetheless, money is always an issue.

Time IS a factor, we don't have to commute as far and lot's of homework is done in car. It has also helped her prioritize time management, there isn't much surfing the web and social media going on. Pretty happy with the coaching. With the older daughter, it hasn't been much of an issue. She's crazy smart and H.S. just isn't that tough, she currently has a 4.0 and that will go up as she takes A.P. courses. But that again is dependent on the girl.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Comment

The money is a factor, if it were free, everyone would try out. However, it's been overblown on T/S. Having a couple of dd's playing ECNL I can say that my younger is with FCP and they just got back from their Utah trip to play Idaho/Utah and it was only about 1/2 of what was approximated on their (FCP's) web site and that included expenses for playing in NWCL a couple of weeks ago. Nonetheless, money is always an issue.

Time IS a factor, we don't have to commute as far and lot's of homework is done in car. It has also helped her prioritize time management, there isn't much surfing the web and social media going on. Pretty happy with the coaching. With the older daughter, it hasn't been much of an issue. She's crazy smart and H.S. just isn't that tough, she currently has a 4.0 and that will go up as she takes A.P. courses. But that again is dependent on the girl.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
          Well, kids who can study in the car, or who don't have to study much are lucky. They aren't the norm. And we have two AP classes and those have significantly more homework and the grading is much tougher. I'm glad you are happy with your experience so far. Getting an offer is a rewarding experience. When a college coach, much less one at a dream school, says that they like you, it puts a smile on her face and is one of the best things my girl could hear. She felt pretty good when we were visiting colleges and there were other girls there, from ECNL clubs, and they said they were hoping for an offer while we already had ours. That's no knock on ECNL, as we might have received more attention had we done it, but she got the school she rated #1 on her list, so any other offers were immaterial to her.

Comment

The solution is more corporate sponsorship and less negativity and envy spewed here!
            Interesting that you would make a comment like this since at least half of the negativity has started with ECNL comments. Things like "you must just be envious...get a job" or any of the other comments implying that the only people concerned with price are poor. Other comments about how no one with ECNL gives a @@@@ about others opinions. Or the run with AP threatening to sue anyone who engages in conjecture and hyperbole.

You show yourselves to be standing around waiting for corporate sponsorship to magically happen, and the clouds will part and the sun will shine and everyone will say "Hallelujah ECNL"

Instead of going on attack mode on forums like this how about putting your shoulder to the wheel and drum up some sponsorships yourself.

BTW most folks who are poor have little control over their monetary reality. They are typically hand to mouth and while they won't spend if they don't have to, it is the folks with wealth who ask questions about not wasting money etc...that is how they attained wealth. Just thought you should know.

Comment

Well, kids who can study in the car, or who don't have to study much are lucky. They aren't the norm. And we have two AP classes and those have significantly more homework and the grading is much tougher. I'm glad you are happy with your experience so far. Getting an offer is a rewarding experience. When a college coach, much less one at a dream school, says that they like you, it puts a smile on her face and is one of the best things my girl could hear. She felt pretty good when we were visiting colleges and there were other girls there, from ECNL clubs, and they said they were hoping for an offer while we already had ours. That's no knock on ECNL, as we might have received more attention had we done it, but she got the school she rated #1 on her list, so any other offers were immaterial to her.
              Wow. Good for her! Funny thing is my older daughter will most likely not going to play college soccer. She's decent enough to play at some level, but doesn't want the commitment there. Said she would look into rec/intramurals, but just wants to study and enjoy college life. Who knows, it might be hard to put the boots down.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X