Some stats about ECNL and the PAC12

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague....me/840718.html

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Teams going to San Diego.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?pli=1#gid=0

Comment

I anxiously await posts about how Oregon will be the exception because there is something unique and terrible about our state or because Tom has an ego the size of Texas and Fraser is secretly the devil.

Comment

I am all for ECNL and hope it works out.

Those raw numbers about the PAC 12 don't mean much however. What % of the girls playing ECNL get college scholarships? What % of those PAC 12 scholarships came from soccer hot beds like California, Arizona and Washington, which produced 70%+ of the scholarships prior to ECNL as well?

A very tiny minority of the many kids paying thousands of dollars for premier soccer in Oregon have ever received scholarships for PAC 12 schools and ECNL is not going to change that significantly. Lets just keep this in perspective.

Comment

I am all for ECNL and hope it works out.

Those raw numbers about the PAC 12 don't mean much however. What % of the girls playing ECNL get college scholarships? What % of those PAC 12 scholarships came from soccer hot beds like California, Arizona and Washington, which produced 70%+ of the scholarships prior to ECNL as well?

A very tiny minority of the many kids paying thousands of dollars for premier soccer in Oregon have ever received scholarships for PAC 12 schools and ECNL is not going to change that significantly. Lets just keep this in perspective.
          I am absolutely Pro ECNL. Even so, it is always going to come down to each individual soccer player and how well they do independently. In this news article it would be difficult to discern what happened as a result of ECNL and what would have happened either way.

As an example, last year there were 3 Oregon girls discovery playing on U18 ECNL teams out of Seattle/Tukwilla. All three were scholarship D1 athletes. All three had scholarships prior to being Discovery Players. Would they have been included in the statistics? Likely yes. My point is that the statement "Girl's playing ECNL get college scholarships" is misleading and it would be more accurate to say "girls with college scholarship offers choose to play ECNL"

Comment

Consider

Using the ECNL stats, over 35% of the rosters of PAC-12 teams did not play for ECNL teams and over 30% of freshman did not either. So, roughly 1 in 3 didn't and 2 in 3 did. This is about the same percentage as ODP players had in 2010. We all know and recognize that ECNL has supplanted ODP in recent years as a place for the best players to be. The FWRL did have great competition for the best teams. Not now. Did ECNL cause PAC-12 teams to have larger rosters? No. They are the same size as before. It's a change. Their will be another change sometime in the future. Probably when ECNL admits too many lower quality clubs into their ranks. The two clubs admitted from the Portland area seem to prove that when perhaps one was warranted. I prefer the ODP model as it allowed the best players from any club to play with the best. Now, ECNL benefits the clubs by almost forcing players to go to an ECNL club. That's why clubs and their docs love it because it eliminates competition to a degree and, unlike ODP, doesn't interrupt their plans for team play. We shall see.

Comment

I am absolutely Pro ECNL. Even so, it is always going to come down to each individual soccer player and how well they do independently. In this news article it would be difficult to discern what happened as a result of ECNL and what would have happened either way.

As an example, last year there were 3 Oregon girls discovery playing on U18 ECNL teams out of Seattle/Tukwilla. All three were scholarship D1 athletes. All three had scholarships prior to being Discovery Players. Would they have been included in the statistics? Likely yes. My point is that the statement "Girl's playing ECNL get college scholarships" is misleading and it would be more accurate to say "girls with college scholarship offers choose to play ECNL"
              I see your point. Considering many of the D1 players have historically came from a handful of clubs, many of those clubs now being associated with ECNL, those percentages will only go higher. But did ECNL make them D! players, probably not. However, it probably does prepare them better for the next level. Cream will always rise to the top, but it's so much eaisier to see where that cream is with better competition. Which is historically why teams, players travel. Why does ECNL cost so much, because they don't play in a horrific split league, they travel.

Comment

No dog in the fight

I see your point. Considering many of the D1 players have historically came from a handful of clubs, many of those clubs now being associated with ECNL, those percentages will only go higher. But did ECNL make them D! players, probably not. However, it probably does prepare them better for the next level. Cream will always rise to the top, but it's so much eaisier to see where that cream is with better competition. Which is historically why teams, players travel. Why does ECNL cost so much, because they don't play in a horrific split league, they travel.
                My kid will never play ECNL---no desire to travel. She still wants to be a kid and enjoy her high school years (going to the Homecoming Dance and going to basketball games in the winter with her classmates and going to her Prom) and all those other things that kids look back on and remember fondly. one of my very best friends from high school has a daughter playing for a very prestigious ECNL team in the So Cal area. She is a junior this year. She came to her folks (my friends) and basically said she was done---burned out. Had enough. Felt like she didn't have that passion for soccer any longer.
                ECNL is NOT for everyone. My kid wanted to play in high school. Her club prepared her for that. She has no desire to play in college. Just doesn't have that burning desire. She is a good player. Not great, but a good player.
                I don't knock ECNL though. The travel and the tournaments do expose those girls playing to a very high level of competition and to great matches. The girls will get better and they will learn from their mistakes and losses and hopefully take those lessons on to that next level, college, if they so desire.

Comment

Why College coaches like ECNL

Setting aside that it is easier to find the best players what they will tell you is that MORE girls get to play at a higher level than what ODP could accommodate and it prepares them to play at a faster pace than they would if they were on all but the hand full of top teams. This allows more girls from different parts of the country to develop their game beyond what they would without ECNL. Of course this is dependent upon the desire of each player.

This higher level of competition allows more ladies to contribute as Freshman and the coaches to work on things in to match their game to the coaches style not bringing them up to the "speed" of the college game.

Comment

ECNL caused Benghazi

Comment

Yes, agree

Setting aside that it is easier to find the best players what they will tell you is that MORE girls get to play at a higher level than what ODP could accommodate and it prepares them to play at a faster pace than they would if they were on all but the hand full of top teams. This allows more girls from different parts of the country to develop their game beyond what they would without ECNL. Of course this is dependent upon the desire of each player.

This higher level of competition allows more ladies to contribute as Freshman and the coaches to work on things in to match their game to the coaches style not bringing them up to the "speed" of the college game.
                      You are right. These girls have played at so many high level tournaments, across the country, against a variety of styles, and skill levels, that by the time they are freshman in college, they may have played in hundreds of meaningful games....whether it be state cup finals, national championship type games, Surf Cup finals, etc. They will have played in high pressure, high stakes type games and yes, they should be able to walk on to the pitch and play immediately, as a freshman, in college. All of the games and competition should have them both mentally and physically prepared for the rigors and grind of a 18-20 game NCAA season.

Comment

You are right. These girls have played at so many high level tournaments, across the country, against a variety of styles, and skill levels, that by the time they are freshman in college, they may have played in hundreds of meaningful games....whether it be state cup finals, national championship type games, Surf Cup finals, etc. They will have played in high pressure, high stakes type games and yes, they should be able to walk on to the pitch and play immediately, as a freshman, in college. All of the games and competition should have them both mentally and physically prepared for the rigors and grind of a 18-20 game NCAA season.
                        And isn't that why ECNL was formed and or trying to do? Now the process is more organized. The girls playing are more committed, scheduling is set, tourneys are set. None of that wondering if your dd's team will or won't be accepted to surf cup. You will know if your dd is ready for College soccer by playing in ecnl by virtue that many of those same opponents are heading that way.

Even before the split the Oregon 'State Cup' was kind of a small pond. Now with the split, each pond is about 1/2 the size. They really don't mean much anymore and don't really show what a player can or can't do.

Comment

Extremely well said. I am going to repeat it too, if that is ok.

My point is that the statement "Girl's playing ECNL get college scholarships" is misleading and it would be more accurate to say "girls with college scholarship offers choose to play ECNL"
                          I think you can also say that Girls who are likely to earn college scholarships often choose to play ECNL. For a fact, I know some girls on a former team that my dd used to play on. It was before we came to Oregon. She played with them before ECNL existed, and before they were of ECNL age anyway. However, of the 16, about 13 choose to play ECNL and 14 of those girls have offers. The majority are to Big 12, SEC and Pac 12 schools. Absent ECNL, those same girls would have all gotten similar offers, given the fact that top teams in that area, before ECNL, had 11-15 girls or more get college offers, many to top schools.

Again, if you are a top player, ECNL is a great place to play. If you are NOT a top player, it's probably not a good place for you and will likely not give you the same offers that top players recieve. Furthermore, you don't have to be in ECNL, if you are a top player, to receive an offer to the Pac 12 (or any other major conference).

Comment

We needed another ECNL thread. Thanks to the OP for providing this for us.

Comment

Apparently you spend a lot of free time going to the ECNL website reading all of their articles. It's as if you found a new toy. And furthermore, you think it necessary to post all of your favorites on here as if they are important. We get that you are trying to justify joining ECNL. If your dd is a good player, then she might benefit. If she is not a top player, you are just throwing your money away.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X