Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do for $8.64 an hour?

In my 10 years watching youth soccer I have found there is one thing every person associated with the game agrees on and that is there is a shortage of quality officials.

The two most common reasons you hear from those in charge are the "yelling parents scare off the newbies" and "if you don't like it why don't you become an official".

Well I would if the economics made sense. When you hear that the OSAA HS Centers are getting $60 a game you might think that's a lot but lets look at what are they taking to the bank.

First lets figure out how much time is actually involved officiating a game. Lets start by allotting 20 minutes of drive time each way for a total of 40 minutes. Next the Center is supposed to arrive 30 minutes before the game to inspect the field, the players and stand through the pregame introductions and administer the coin toss. Now add in 40 minutes for each half plus 10 minutes for half time and 5 minutes for stoppage for goals, injuries and cards and you get a total of 165 minutes or 2.75 hours of their time door to door. Yes door to door because the decision is to stay home vs. leave for officiating.

$60 divided by 2.75 hours works out to a gross of $21.81 an hour. That still doesn't sound too bad until we take out taxes. I'll skip the cost of uniforms (3 colors) and flags/cards/whistles/cleats and assume the mileage allowance covers the gas and maintenance. But we all know that Uncle Sam has to get his cut. Lets assume a 28% tax bracket and a 15.4% self employment tax for a total of 43.4% and that $21.81 drops down to $12.34 hr. for a net take home per HS game of $33.93. Now the tax rate assumption you can quibble with but don't get too caught up in the specifics and stay focused on the CONCEPT here.

Would you be willing to give up a night after going to your day job for $34? If you say yes you either love the game or are NOT in the 28% tax bracket.

Now here is the crux of the matter. The Club games are where the new official are recruited to and trained on and perfect their craft doing so we have to look at what the incentives are for a U16+ Club official. A few Club Centers get $55 per game but the majority get $42-52 per game depending upon their attained certification level BUT they have a 10 minute longer game (90 vs 80) but no stoppage.

So that math for a Club Center works out to 165 game minutes or 2.75 hours and using the lower $42 rate because that is what a majority of the Centers are paid you get a gross rate of $15.27 per hour. Take out the 43.4% in taxes and you get an after tax rate of $8.64 per hour or $23.77 game! Now factor in these games are on your days off and not neatly scheduled at the end or the beginning of your Saturday and or Sunday and then ask yourself would you be doing that for the money?

The per game pay is even WORSE for tournaments and only partially off set by fact that they get two or three games without having to drive but they end up with rest time between games which cuts down the per hour rate even further.

Now most importantly realize that someone wanting to become an official does not get to be a Center out of the gate and has to spend one or more years as an AR getting even LESS per hour and you begin to understand why there is a shortage of bodies let alone people who take the job as seriously as our players!

So to the knee jerkers who say "stop bitch'n and get yer license" I say pay me a fair rate and I'll gladly step onto the pitch.

Lastly, I want everyone reading this to realize the fix is not a big number for any individual player and easy to administrate. We are talking about HS age players paying only $40 more PER PLAYER for BOTH Fall and Spring leagues to raise the pay of ALL THREE officials.

The math is 36 players per game or $1,440 for league play spread out over a 14 game Fall season and a 12 game Spring season. That $40 per player increase would put $55 more PER GAME on the field for officiating! This would allow the leagues to get the average U16+ Center pay up to $67 per game and the AR's up from the pathetic $20 per game to a more respectable $30 per game.

That last number ($30) is the most important because we can't attract and RETAIN adult officials if we are asking them to give up their Weekends for $20 a game! The current fee schedule is guaranteed to primarily attract Students looking for extra cash and not people taking the job as serious as is should be.

For Tournaments the number is much, much smaller because at the HS ages the games are shorter and they do get multiple games per trip so for a 4 game tournament you are trying to get the Center pay up to $50 from $35 and the AR's up to $25 from $15. Putting $25 more dollars per game and $100 for a 4 game tournament on the fields divided by 36 players is only $2.78. per player! Yes only $2.78 per player for the WHOLE tournament. So for a team going to 4 tournaments you are talking about a whopping $11 for the Summer.

So for about $51 per player for the ENTIRE year Oregon can have meaningful Referee compensation to attract and equally important retain enough officials. Once you have enough bodies who WANT the job you can address the training and quality issues. Until then you beg for bodies and take what you can get and the results we have seen over the years.

I have never met a parent in 10 years on the sidelines who said that they wouldn't be willing to pay more for better officiating. When you are talking about $1,300-1,500 club fees another $51 to improve the experience only makes sense.

Of course all of these numbers get adjusted down for the younger ages because their games are shorter so you would be looking at paying approximately an additional $35 for the U14-15 ages and $30 for the U11-13 age groups which makes NOT doing this even more silly.
    Last edited by Overlap; 10-06-2014, 01:59 AM.

My friend's daughter is reffing rec league in Eugene. She gets $18/game. Killer salary for a 14 year old and pretty good for a college kid/young adult.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My friend's daughter is reffing rec league in Eugene. She gets $18/game. Killer salary for a 14 year old and pretty good for a college kid/young adult.
      We are not talking about rec where the league fees are $300.

Comment

If you can get $18 while reffing rec why ref select where you get berated? Seems like a great decision.

Comment

And coaches don't even make minimum wage. It is a labor of love, not income.

Comment

Are we sure taxes are taken out? Note: the question is not "should" taxes be taken out but are they? If not highly unlkely they are reported.
            Bottom line the economics look much better for a student/part time income then they do for an adult with a day job/career ... Thank you Refs!

Comment

Are we sure taxes are taken out? Note: the question is not "should" taxes be taken out but are they? If not highly unlkely they are reported.
              Bottom line the economics look much better for a student/part time income then they do for an adult with a day job/career ... Thank you Refs!
              Taxes should not be taken out because refs are contractors not employees and contractors are responsible for their own taxes. But pretty much all clubs or leagues get W9s. If they don't keep track of everything and file the 1099s so the IRS knows about the money, their nonprofit status is at risk.

And that second line is a big problem. Start them as inexperienced teenagers. Maybe they get good and might stick with it through college. But once they get a full time job, they're gone except the very few trying to make MLS and they're not really doing kids games. Until they're old enough to retire. Then they come back as people who can't run.

Comment

Taxes should not be taken out because refs are contractors not employees and contractors are responsible for their own taxes. But pretty much all clubs or leagues get W9s. If they don't keep track of everything and file the 1099s so the IRS knows about the money, their nonprofit status is at risk.
                Not 100% on how this works but a few years back when I was on our clubs board we hired a "company" that provided referees to the club. The club was not responsible for tax reporting etc. as the refs were contractors for the "company". The clubs attorneys recommended this arrangement because it relieved the club from tax and other related "employee" issues ....

Comment

The OP, i thought that level of reffing also gets mileage to the game. And if you are there already and do another game, which a lot of refs do, then you are making pretty good money on the second game. I have been in soccer for a long time and the refs I know, make pretty good bank for their time. And i know this thread is towards older aged games, biti think this is the best high school job. Good pay, low hours, some berating, but you get to pick your schedule and your license is good nationally, you can take this to college and do it on the weekends.

Comment

The OP, i thought that level of reffing also gets mileage to the game. And if you are there already and do another game, which a lot of refs do, then you are making pretty good money on the second game. I have been in soccer for a long time and the refs I know, make pretty good bank for their time. And i know this thread is towards older aged games, biti think this is the best high school job. Good pay, low hours, some berating, but you get to pick your schedule and your license is good nationally, you can take this to college and do it on the weekends.
                    You are missing the point. The gross sounds good but they DO have to pay taxes. Factor in how LONG they are away from home and the pay does not compete with the alternatives which is why we are having a problem.

We need to have a compensation schedule that makes this a profession that RETAINS numbers and builds quality not one that encourages the revolving door we have now. The good news is the solution will only cost you FIFTY dollars or less!

Comment

First, my kids pay taxes for theirs, which is quite complicated. If you make more than $400 or so at any one organization it must report and send a tax form.

Second, my kids do summer tournaments but in fall and spring they prefer rec, because they can usually get 3 or more games in a row for more pay than competitive without all the crazy/abusive yelling parents/coaches. If you can get more than 2 games for competitive in a row, it is only one center and then sidelines which is easier but not paid much.

Finally, I do think all of you complainers should at least take the class with your kid and try to ref. As a parent of a ref, I think I have a little more patience and understanding of the ref. Really way too much yelling and complaining, more appreciation would be helpful in retaining refs.

Craig’s Notebook – Fall – Week 4

Games: 405 Positions to fill: 1,128
                      Unfilled Positions: 82 or 92.8%
                      Yellows: 88
                      Reds: 19
                      Recap:
                      Things are getting dicey out there these days. Take a look at the number of send offs for last weekend, 19. That is just way too much. Meeting with the heads of OYSA/TTPL today to see what we can do to stem the flow of bitterness and incivility toward officials. We do have some problem teams that will be dealt with, and problem parents/spectators too. I had a coach call me last week to ask if he could stand over on the parent side during the game because he has had so many complaints about their behavior. I know you didn’t sign up to be in a war zone every weekend. Yes soccer is competitive and physical, but it’s also fun. Unfortunately there are those out there that stake everything on winning, and in the fall leagues, with 13 year olds and younger, the focus should be on the development of the players, not an overly critical concern about the officials.

Comment

Originally posted by Overlap View Post
                        You are missing the point. The gross sounds good but they DO have to pay taxes. Factor in how LONG they are away from home and the pay does not compete with the alternatives which is why we are having a problem.

We need to have a compensation schedule that makes this a profession that RETAINS numbers and builds quality not one that encourages the revolving door we have now. The good news is the solution will only cost you FIFTY dollars or less!
                        Is it the pay or the sidelines. Will any pay make it worth while to put up with parents and coaches on the sidelines.

I know refs at the upper level that make very good money. So some must think the money is worth it.

Comment

$8.64 and hour, doesn't sound too bad as a second or third income. I have ECNL to pay for. Where do I apply?

Comment

First, my kids pay taxes for theirs, which is quite complicated. If you make more than $400 or so at any one organization it must report and send a tax form.

Second, my kids do summer tournaments but in fall and spring they prefer rec, because they can usually get 3 or more games in a row for more pay than competitive without all the crazy/abusive yelling parents/coaches. If you can get more than 2 games for competitive in a row, it is only one center and then sidelines which is easier but not paid much.

Finally, I do think all of you complainers should at least take the class with your kid and try to ref. As a parent of a ref, I think I have a little more patience and understanding of the ref. Really way too much yelling and complaining, more appreciation would be helpful in retaining refs.

Craig’s Notebook – Fall – Week 4

Games: 405 Positions to fill: 1,128
                            Unfilled Positions: 82 or 92.8%
                            Yellows: 88
                            Reds: 19
                            Recap:
                            Things are getting dicey out there these days. Take a look at the number of send offs for last weekend, 19. That is just way too much. Meeting with the heads of OYSA/TTPL today to see what we can do to stem the flow of bitterness and incivility toward officials. We do have some problem teams that will be dealt with, and problem parents/spectators too. I had a coach call me last week to ask if he could stand over on the parent side during the game because he has had so many complaints about their behavior. I know you didn’t sign up to be in a war zone every weekend. Yes soccer is competitive and physical, but it’s also fun. Unfortunately there are those out there that stake everything on winning, and in the fall leagues, with 13 year olds and younger, the focus should be on the development of the players, not an overly critical concern about the officials.
                            Yes I agree that too.many parents are yelling about things but a good referee
                            engages them and explains the call to the players and the coach and the fans when it happens. Explanations take the steam out of their engine rather than letting it build to a boiling point. This is all about training of the officials.

I remember a state cup final a couple of years ago and a defender took a hard shot to her stomach from close range in the box and reflexively her arms came up and the ball dropped to her feet and she cleared the ball from the box. As this very experienced Center came up the side I said "how is that not handling?" And he said "she didn't have time to react and the ball was going to her feet regardless." Now I disagreed because she controlled the ball but at least I knew his thought process and knew he saw what happened.

My DD is a ref too and I can tell you that she let's the players know the "why" if there is a question and they and they coaches love her for that. After all this is development soccer and how can they learn if the ref is not part of the teaching prices too.
                            Last edited by Overlap; 10-10-2014, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Is it the pay or the sidelines. Will any pay make it worth while to put up with parents and coaches on the sidelines.

I know refs at the upper level that make very good money. So some must think the money is worth it.

Key word SOME. The problem is getting more adults who are a stable source to stick with it. With more money comes more maturity and seriousness about the job. Way too many Centers don't even bother to keep up with the ball while others are too out of shape even if they wanted to. This happens because we are beggars not choosers.

The solution is not only affordable but easy to implement.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X