What happens when kids don't practice as much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens when kids don't practice much ?????? They lose 4-0 to Jesuit !!!!!!!

Comment

It's sad, really

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I am the one that is suggesting that it is not uncommon for D1 athletes to have played multiple sports in high school. You may have just hit upon what the poster was having a difficult time believing. ie multiple sports in college. Yes, I too think it is rare for a D1 athlete to play multiple college sports. I still say that it is more common for D1 athletes to have experimented with multiple sports in high school.
      I grew up where as a boy, you played football in the fall, basketball in the winter and baseball in the spring. You just went from one season right into the next. If you were on the football team and the team went deep into the playoffs into late November, you joined the basketball team when the playoffs were over and got into 'basketball' shape as quickly as you could.
      I was having a conversation with a friend the other night at my daughter's practice. He said it's sad that in this day and age, a LOT of very good high school athletes DO NOT play another sport because their primary sport is so demanding and so specialized now with club/classic teams ruling the roost. He said his son plays on an AAU travel basektball team, year round. They travel up and down the west coast, looking for good competition. His son plays varsity and starts. His AAU coach has pretty much said to the family don't even think about playing other sports (either football in the fall or lacrosse in the spring)---this kid is a very good, naturally gifted athlete that could be a great WR in football and is fast and athletic and probably could start on his High School lacrosse team too. He's been told not to play anything else because it will jeopardize his playing time on his club AAU team.
      We are at the point now that some of the more athletic kids are missing out---they are missnig playing that 2nd or even 3rd sport, due to the demands being put on them (and families) NOT to play other sports. I think that there are probably a lot of good to great athletes that BURN out due to the fact that all they do is play a specific club or classic sport, year round.

Comment

I grew up where as a boy, you played football in the fall, basketball in the winter and baseball in the spring. You just went from one season right into the next. If you were on the football team and the team went deep into the playoffs into late November, you joined the basketball team when the playoffs were over and got into 'basketball' shape as quickly as you could.
        I was having a conversation with a friend the other night at my daughter's practice. He said it's sad that in this day and age, a LOT of very good high school athletes DO NOT play another sport because their primary sport is so demanding and so specialized now with club/classic teams ruling the roost. He said his son plays on an AAU travel basektball team, year round. They travel up and down the west coast, looking for good competition. His son plays varsity and starts. His AAU coach has pretty much said to the family don't even think about playing other sports (either football in the fall or lacrosse in the spring)---this kid is a very good, naturally gifted athlete that could be a great WR in football and is fast and athletic and probably could start on his High School lacrosse team too. He's been told not to play anything else because it will jeopardize his playing time on his club AAU team.
        We are at the point now that some of the more athletic kids are missing out---they are missnig playing that 2nd or even 3rd sport, due to the demands being put on them (and families) NOT to play other sports. I think that there are probably a lot of good to great athletes that BURN out due to the fact that all they do is play a specific club or classic sport, year round.
        The issue is sports have changed. If you want any shot of playing beyond highschool it requires more time now. Sad but, true.

Comment

What happens when kids don't practice much ?????? They lose 4-0 to Jesuit !!!!!!!
          Hah... Tigard isn't very strong this year.

Comment

The issue is sports have changed. If you want any shot of playing beyond highschool it requires more time now. Sad but, true.
            And the point is that high-school sports are just not good, period. For me it depends on where you want to go and to what level. The majority of the most elite soccer players do not play another sport, period. This is just another reason why in the men's game we are far behind and in women's we are getting caught.

You can't be as good as the best in other countries in you only play high-level 40% of the time. Imagine if your child only went to school 40% of the time, would they be as smart academically?

Make your choice but to pretend that a player will be as good at soccer while playing 1 or 2 other sports is just crazy.

Comment

I guess it depends on what your kid wants in life

And the point is that high-school sports are just not good, period. For me it depends on where you want to go and to what level. The majority of the most elite soccer players do not play another sport, period. This is just another reason why in the men's game we are far behind and in women's we are getting caught.

You can't be as good as the best in other countries in you only play high-level 40% of the time. Imagine if your child only went to school 40% of the time, would they be as smart academically?

Make your choice but to pretend that a player will be as good at soccer while playing 1 or 2 other sports is just crazy.

At the end of the day, it really depends on what the child wants. Not every single kid is going to end up going to college on a scholarship to play soccer. Maybe the odds of a kid ever playing for a National Team or for the country (in either a World Cup scenario or even in the Olympics) may be as low as 1 in 100,000 or 1 in 1,000,000 even lower, potentially.

I have seen a few girls that have played for a good/strong team (a national champion winner) and are also playing basketball at a high/competitive level. Yes, varsity high school sports are not as strong as a full time club/classic situation but these girls are playing and enjoying their high school careers. To them---they never had that end goal of being a World Cup player or an Olympian---it was more about playing with their friends, at a high level, as well as representing their high school and enjoying their high school years.

It doesn't always have to be an 'all or nothing' type situation. I know several athletes that have decided that they want to play more than 1 sport in high school, they will continue with their club affiliation and still can be good/successful and have fun and enjoy it all at the same time---a win/win for the kid. Also, I get the fact that if a kid DOES want to be successful and be the best mid fielder possible or best center back---they will have to make that hard choice to focus on one sport, 100% of the time. You can't have it both ways. You can chose to do a couple of things and be successful and enjoy it or you can focus 100% of your time/effort/energy on 1 sole sport, with the goal of chasing that dangling college scholarship. Everyone is motivated by different things and in different ways.

Comment

Not true for two of my kids who both played multiple sports in high school and both ended up being D1 scholarship athletes. Nonsense. This is a parent issue and clubs trying to milk you for money.

Comment

you can't teach talent.

yes, practice can make horrible players good, maybe even very good. but not great (this is why the us has not "produced the next messi")

a lack of speed is usually not the thing preventing those players from getting the ball, but a lack of aggression.

you can teach someone to run "better"/faster, but similarly you can't turn someone into an olympic champion if they're not naturally quick.
                  I'm just curious what you and the OP mean by "talent"? Are you referring to technical skills (control and command of the ball), physical attributes, etc.? I see this term used constantly, and it's clear people use it to mean vastly different things. Speed and aggression are not the only factors in being first to balls. Positioning, anticipation, and ability to read the game are also very important factors in securing possession of the ball for one's team.

Comment

I'm just curious what you and the OP mean by "talent"? Are you referring to technical skills (control and command of the ball), physical attributes, etc.? I see this term used constantly, and it's clear people use it to mean vastly different things. Speed and aggression are not the only factors in being first to balls. Positioning, anticipation, and ability to read the game are also very important factors in securing possession of the ball for one's team.
                    My idea of talent is one who adds a lot of value to the team. It is subjective as evidenced by all the different types of players who are chosen for various things. If you can't ever win the ball then all the foot skills in the world are not going to help you t higher levels of play. On the other hand a very fast, aggressive player may be able to win the ball and distribute it to another open player. Definitely subjective.

Comment

ooh fun!

when i talk about talent, i am talking about the innate ability to see and do things on the field that others would never have thought of. primarily that's what they call Court Vision, in basketball, and sometimes it's called Field Vision in soccer (probably only in the states), but often times it's called "a soccer brain" (again, probably only in the states. in spanish (i'm mexican) it's called fantasia and the players that have this ability are fantasistas. of course, in order to do things that other cannot do, it takes technical skill, but you must first have the desire to that thing.

i said speed was NOT the most important thing in getting the ball, but i did say aggression. using correct positioning and anticipating the ball are part of that aggression, to me. but you're right, they are not necessarily the same. to me you either want the ball badly enough to anticipate where it will be and then get in the correct position, or you don't. the wanting is the aggression and if you get to the spot before others due to anticipation, then you do not need to be fast.

Comment

You are flat out wrong on so many levels. Really good athletes do well in multiple sports. It is what it is. Take an athlete like Jordan Kent out of UO. He played soccer, track and basketball in high school and earlier. He went to college and played basketball and ran track. In his sophomore or junior year he decided to play football too (never played before). Then he was drafted by the Seahawks after winning a silver medal in track in the Olympics. I am not suggesting that everyone is Jordan Kent rather that good athletes are just that. Jordan is but one example.

Most D1 soccer players have played multiple sports it is a fact.

Burnout is a huge factor for so many kids. Let them be kids for goodness sake!!

Comment

when i talk about talent, i am talking about the innate ability to see and do things on the field that others would never have thought of. primarily that's what they call Court Vision, in basketball, and sometimes it's called Field Vision in soccer (probably only in the states), but often times it's called "a soccer brain" (again, probably only in the states. in spanish (i'm mexican) it's called fantasia and the players that have this ability are fantasistas. of course, in order to do things that other cannot do, it takes technical skill, but you must first have the desire to that thing.

i said speed was NOT the most important thing in getting the ball, but i did say aggression. using correct positioning and anticipating the ball are part of that aggression, to me. but you're right, they are not necessarily the same. to me you either want the ball badly enough to anticipate where it will be and then get in the correct position, or you don't. the wanting is the aggression and if you get to the spot before others due to anticipation, then you do not need to be fast.
                          Great response thanks.

Comment

thanks for being open to it

Great response thanks.
                            to throw some fuel to the fire...

when i was a kid i played with joy and creativity, and scored a lot of goals, then would often go into goal just for fun. kind of like that one nike commercial where wayne rooney does that. this kind of carefree play led to a lot of goals all the way up to my freshman year of high school, here in oregon. then, as a sophomore in order to make varsity, i started playing more the american way (not a knock i swear, i love the american way of futbol) and had to concentrate on working my tail off. this hard work took me through college playing center mid.

nothing came after college, soccer-wise, so then i began playing in portland city leagues and OPSL. then, this mean eastern-european guy (everyone hated playing with him) yelled at me (again and again) to show more of my skill and stop trying to force things. i remembered how i used to play as a freshman and brought more of that "flair", for lack of a better word. a couple years of playing like this, along with american industriousness got me a few pro tryouts. (but nothing came of those, too old really)

Comment

to throw some fuel to the fire...

when i was a kid i played with joy and creativity, and scored a lot of goals, then would often go into goal just for fun. kind of like that one nike commercial where wayne rooney does that. this kind of carefree play led to a lot of goals all the way up to my freshman year of high school, here in oregon. then, as a sophomore in order to make varsity, i started playing more the american way (not a knock i swear, i love the american way of futbol) and had to concentrate on working my tail off. this hard work took me through college playing center mid.

nothing came after college, soccer-wise, so then i began playing in portland city leagues and OPSL. then, this mean eastern-european guy (everyone hated playing with him) yelled at me (again and again) to show more of my skill and stop trying to force things. i remembered how i used to play as a freshman and brought more of that "flair", for lack of a better word. a couple years of playing like this, along with american industriousness got me a few pro tryouts. (but nothing came of those, too old really)
                              Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you have a beautiful love affair with the game irrespective of whether you will ever get paid for it. What an accomplishment!!

Comment

In most cases, the kids who train the most, improve at a faster rate. If you miss training sessions, and don't make up for it on your own time, you might get left in the dust.

On my daughters club team, this past Summer, kids who missed just one week of training for vacation, looked slower when they returned, and lost playing time and starting spots because of it. But they usually bounced back.

You just have to be careful because if you miss too many games or practices, your "spot" will be filled with another player who then gets the opportunity to prove themselves. They may prove that they are the better option, and show that the team can go on without you.

Everybody's replaceable. Even in the B teams.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X