Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look, we know the 1st 2-3 yrs of ENCL will be tough..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Or maybe I've worked smart over the years and saved enough to fund college for all of my kids. You should try supporting yourself for a change instead of living of the government...
    You are trying to tell everyone how smart you are and you can't even write a logical sentence. You don't save by working smart. That doesn't make sense. You save by making smart purchasing decisions and deferring gratification. You earn the money to save but working. Now, do you see how your sentence didn't make any sense. You sentence was akin to saying that you flew to California by walking fast.

Comment

If you are worried about cost or winning right away, then ECNL is probably not for you. Save yourself the heartburn.

Comment

If you are worried about cost or winning right away, then ECNL is probably not for you. Save yourself the heartburn.
        So who is it for? By your statements, only those who have no concerns about money, but apparently are very focused on getting scholarships, and who have students who can afford to lose the next 3 or 4 years of their soccer life participating in an experiment.

Yet the draw would be the elite exposure to college coaches etc...

Why would anyone choose to do ECNL with the caveat that the first 3-4 years will be throwaway.

Comment

It just cracks me up how folks want to tell other folks how to spend their money.....let it rest.

Comment

So who is it for? By your statements, only those who have no concerns about money, but apparently are very focused on getting scholarships, and who have students who can afford to lose the next 3 or 4 years of their soccer life participating in an experiment.

Why would anyone choose to do ECNL with the caveat that the first 3-4 years will be throwaway.
            Here is the disappointing part, I know of a number of good players who are not going out due to who is in charge of the program and the coaches that are involved. Honestly, I think ECNL is great and I do think that Portland can put together one team per age group that competes well. But we are staying away mostly because of the coaches and the leadership. Sure that hurts us, but it also saves us money and given our situation, it's not a bad decision. I think that there are a number of girls out there who are doing ECNL because they are desparate to get a scholarship and are betting the farm on ECNL to get it. That may or may not work out as I have looked through a lot of the ECNL teams and there are a number of players who have not committed (they might have offers or may be committed but haven't reported it however).

Comment

Here is the disappointing part, I know of a number of good players who are not going out due to who is in charge of the program and the coaches that are involved. Honestly, I think ECNL is great and I do think that Portland can put together one team per age group that competes well. But we are staying away mostly because of the coaches and the leadership. Sure that hurts us, but it also saves us money and given our situation, it's not a bad decision. I think that there are a number of girls out there who are doing ECNL because they are desparate to get a scholarship and are betting the farm on ECNL to get it. That may or may not work out as I have looked through a lot of the ECNL teams and there are a number of players who have not committed (they might have offers or may be committed but haven't reported it however).
              Are you saying that the leadership and coaches for both programs aren't good enough? Or are you talking about one ECNL club?

Comment

Simple as that.

Comment

Just curious. Does your DD play for a team that does a couple to a few travel tournaments? Does your DD participate in ODP? If so, has she made it to regionals, or played in the region IV tournament?

Everyone of the naysayers keeps regurgitating the cost. My DD spent U13 and U14 playing for a high level team that traveled out of state 2-3 times, plus Seattle 2-3 times, as well as ODP. When I go over expenses I come up with very comparable numbers. The difference is the quality of play she will get for the same amount of money with ECNL. A trip to Vegas cost the same as a trip to San Diego for ECNL, but what you get for your money is not equal. If you have been to an ECNL showcase you would know, with certainty that they are the best bang for the buck going in girls soccer right now.

Comment

Just curious. Does your DD play for a team that does a couple to a few travel tournaments? Does your DD participate in ODP? If so, has she made it to regionals, or played in the region IV tournament?

Everyone of the naysayers keeps regurgitating the cost. My DD spent U13 and U14 playing for a high level team that traveled out of state 2-3 times, plus Seattle 2-3 times, as well as ODP. When I go over expenses I come up with very comparable numbers. The difference is the quality of play she will get for the same amount of money with ECNL. A trip to Vegas cost the same as a trip to San Diego for ECNL, but what you get for your money is not equal. If you have been to an ECNL showcase you would know, with certainty that they are the best bang for the buck going in girls soccer right now.
                    Yes to pretty much everything you asked. And I don't disaggree about ECNL. What you are not addressing is the point, which is that we'd be more interested with better leadership and better coaches. One situation works for us logistically, but not interested due to the issues I've raised. May change our mind come December, but for now, we are not in. Sure wish the ECNL clubs had thought this through a lot more before they put together their staffs.

Comment

Perhaps because they have vision and a penchant for taking calculated risks when others stand around and wait till success has passed them by!!! But go ahead and live your life on the sidelines my friend and risk nothing. See how much you gain?!

Comment

Perhaps because they have vision and a penchant for taking calculated risks when others stand around and wait till success has passed them by!!! But go ahead and live your life on the sidelines my friend and risk nothing. See how much you gain?!
                        "risk nothing"??

Did you get that from a Nike commercial?

I think you are taking it out of context. "Risk Everything" theme has to do with leaving it all on the field, not necessarily risk all of your money with the hopes of your child getting a college scholarship.

We are doing ECNL, but it is not for everyone. Some people can afford it and some can't. Some have the time and some don't.

ECNL is just another soccer league. It happens to be a league with some very good players and teams. It is not the magical answer to all of your soccer dreams.

Comment

"risk nothing"??

Did you get that from a Nike commercial?

I think you are taking it out of context. "Risk Everything" theme has to do with leaving it all on the field, not necessarily risk all of your money with the hopes of your child getting a college scholarship.

We are doing ECNL, but it is not for everyone. Some people can afford it and some can't. Some have the time and some don't.

ECNL is just another soccer league. It happens to be a league with some very good players and teams. It is not the magical answer to all of your soccer dreams.

No commercial, just tired of people making excuses. Wanting Oregon soccer to succeed but not willing to be part of the process until it's successful?? And if you're doing this with the primary goal of securing a soccer scholarship, please do save your money cause it's likely to be a lousy investment and you're missing the point. Do this so your DD has the opportunity to see how far they can go with the game they love.

Comment

No commercial, just tired of people making excuses. Wanting Oregon soccer to succeed but not willing to be part of the process until it's successful?? And if you're doing this with the primary goal of securing a soccer scholarship, please do save your money cause it's likely to be a lousy investment and you're missing the point. Do this so your DD has the opportunity to see how far they can go with the game they love.
                            But wait, I am confused. Every ECNL preacher on here has been going on and on about more coaches, more exposure, guaranteed D1 signings.

The conversation has become "invest in ECNL or your daughter will never make the list for all the real coaches", and now you come on here speaking rational thought?

I totally agree with your statement of finding the highest level opportunity for your player. If that is what a family is pursuing than they should go for it.

What gives me pause is all the College investment talk. It seems like there are several in here who feel like they have to apologize for the price of ECNL, and their means of apologizing is all of the scholarship talk.

Like you said ECNL is not for everyone. It is expensive and it takes over the world of anyone participating. Benefits MAY include increased exposure, which may help with college recruitment, but don't do it for those reasons alone

I think the dilemma however is the Portland market was not ready for ECNL, and certainly not two teams at every age. I suspect there simply are not 44 girls at each age who fit the naturally attracted group above. So parents (shills) start making promises and arguments in order to make sure little Sally's team has enough players.

All these parents are a disservice to the club because they are selling something that is not there. Any players they "recruit" will have to constantly be managed. They ought to just stop.

Comment

But wait, I am confused. Every ECNL preacher on here has been going on and on about more coaches, more exposure, guaranteed D1 signings.

The conversation has become "invest in ECNL or your daughter will never make the list for all the real coaches", and now you come on here speaking rational thought?

I totally agree with your statement of finding the highest level opportunity for your player. If that is what a family is pursuing than they should go for it.

What gives me pause is all the College investment talk. It seems like there are several in here who feel like they have to apologize for the price of ECNL, and their means of apologizing is all of the scholarship talk.

Like you said ECNL is not for everyone. It is expensive and it takes over the world of anyone participating. Benefits MAY include increased exposure, which may help with college recruitment, but don't do it for those reasons alone

I think the dilemma however is the Portland market was not ready for ECNL, and certainly not two teams at every age. I suspect there simply are not 44 girls at each age who fit the naturally attracted group above. So parents (shills) start making promises and arguments in order to make sure little Sally's team has enough players.

All these parents are a disservice to the club because they are selling something that is not there. Any players they "recruit" will have to constantly be managed. They ought to just stop.
                              Great post. Hell, I don't think we have 30, much less 44 at every age group. I really feel sorry for the U17 girls who think that they now have a shot at a D1 scholarship. They might get to a D1 school since there are 330 of them, but it won't be a top school. I think the U16s are not going to reap all of the recruiting benefits that ECNL can provide. U17s will have shots at D2, D3 and NAIA schools, which is great. But those schools aren't playing the top college soccer, which is why you did ECNL in the first place, isn't it?

Comment

Great post. Hell, I don't think we have 30, much less 44 at every age group. I really feel sorry for the U17 girls who think that they now have a shot at a D1 scholarship. They might get to a D1 school since there are 330 of them, but it won't be a top school. I think the U16s are not going to reap all of the recruiting benefits that ECNL can provide. U17s will have shots at D2, D3 and NAIA schools, which is great. But those schools aren't playing the top college soccer, which is why you did ECNL in the first place, isn't it?
                                Will it not end... join ECNL because you want the experience not some scholarship?! I don't care about scholarships my DD loves to play and why not see how good she can really be!!!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X