Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ode to a Sorry Fool

Hello all, this is not a typical post you would find on a forum like this. I am a struggling writer and a single dad trying to make ends meet while raising my daughter, who absolutely loves soccer. I have a reasonable soccer background, having played through College and still play competitively, but I don’t have the patience or training to coach. I worked very, very hard at the local Home Depot to earn enough money to enroll my daughter in the local club soccer team, as I am committed to supporting her dreams. Within weeks of the start of the season I became extremely disappointed as I saw how subpar and uncommitted the coaching was and, when I complained, it was clear that nobody really cared. A number of weeks ago her coach quit without warning and the club never adequately replaced him. He was not a competent coach but at least he was a coach. Since his departure, it has been a revolving door of substitute coaches and cancelled practices to the point that it has become abundantly clear that this soccer club couldn’t care less if my daughter was learning and growing with the game. My frustration grew as the season continued and recently I decided to remove her from the program altogether.

As you can imagine, I have become jaded by my daughter's soccer experience. Recently, I have learned that many others have had similar experiences to what my daughter endured. I guess the club my daughter played for is just a money grab and nothing more. The other day I decided to put my frustrations to positive use by writing this poem. It makes me feel better when I read it. I hope that it gives others the same feeling.

Ode to a Sorry Fool

Dear Global Premier Soccer,
    I am sorry I trusted you.
    I am nothing more than a sorry fool desperate to create a beautiful life for my daughter.
    I mistook you for being knowledgeable and caring soccer coaches,
    but you proved to be just a group of dirty scoundrels
    pillaging the soccer landscape — a house of snakes and wicked thieves with ice cold hearts,
    swindling hard-earned money from naive families. You are the premier purveyor of broken promises and tattered dreams to little children everywhere.
    Driven solely by your quest for the almighty dollar, the beautiful game means nothing to you!
    This is your nature, deeply ingrained inside the corrupt core of your evil empire!
    I am nothing more than a sorry fool for having trusted you.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello all, this is not a typical post you would find on a forum like this. I am a struggling writer and a single dad trying to make ends meet while raising my daughter, who absolutely loves soccer. I have a reasonable soccer background, having played through College and still play competitively, but I don’t have the patience or training to coach. I worked very, very hard at the local Home Depot to earn enough money to enroll my daughter in the local club soccer team, as I am committed to supporting her dreams. Within weeks of the start of the season I became extremely disappointed as I saw how subpar and uncommitted the coaching was and, when I complained, it was clear that nobody really cared. A number of weeks ago her coach quit without warning and the club never adequately replaced him. He was not a competent coach but at least he was a coach. Since his departure, it has been a revolving door of substitute coaches and cancelled practices to the point that it has become abundantly clear that this soccer club couldn’t care less if my daughter was learning and growing with the game. My frustration grew as the season continued and recently I decided to remove her from the program altogether.

As you can imagine, I have become jaded by my daughter's soccer experience. Recently, I have learned that many others have had similar experiences to what my daughter endured. I guess the club my daughter played for is just a money grab and nothing more. The other day I decided to put my frustrations to positive use by writing this poem. It makes me feel better when I read it. I hope that it gives others the same feeling.

Ode to a Sorry Fool

I am nothing more than a sorry fool desperate to create a beautiful life for my daughter.
    pillaging the soccer landscape — a house of snakes and wicked thieves with ice cold hearts,
    swindling hard-earned money from naive families. You are the premier purveyor of broken promises and tattered dreams to little children everywhere.
    Driven solely by your quest for the almighty dollar, the beautiful game means nothing to you!
    This is your nature, deeply ingrained inside the corrupt core of your evil empire!
    Yawn.

Comment

Yawn.
      MH checks are bouncing, pass it on.

Comment

"yawn" is exactly the response one would expect from a GPS employee upon learning that a customer was unhappy. It speaks volumes about how tone-deaf the organization is toward its customers and their needs. Just keep demanding your money upfront while providing customers nothing in return. At some point soon you will have no customers. Yawn.

Comment

Who is MH?

MH checks are bouncing, pass it on.

Comment

This is awful. I realize prose was a bridge too far, but was expecting something at least funny. wrott

Comment

This is awful. I realize prose was a bridge too far, but was expecting something at least funny. wrott
              Well, our fictitious wannabe author did admit upfront that he is a "struggling" writer lol.

Comment

"You should sign your kid up for club soccer." - P.T. BARNUM

Comment

If your goal is to discredit or embarrass yourself and your point of view.. congrats you fool you've done it. You also look like a desperate D*** rider

Comment

If your goal is to discredit or embarrass yourself and your point of view.. congrats you fool you've done it. You also look like a desperate D*** rider
                    I meant the original post not the quoted one

Comment

"yawn" is exactly the response one would expect from a GPS employee upon learning that a customer was unhappy. It speaks volumes about how tone-deaf the organization is toward its customers and their needs. Just keep demanding your money upfront while providing customers nothing in return. At some point soon you will have no customers. Yawn.
                      Double yawn.

Comment

Ode to a Sorry Fool

Brilliant

Comment

Brilliant
                          In what way, more like stupid and counter productive

Comment

Ode to a Sorry Fool

I'm guessing if you could sell excuses for a living, you would be able to buy a pro franchise for your daughter. I hope you aren't passing your misery and need to mock others to make up for your own faults onto your daughter.

Comment

He’s described GPS perfectly. Great job!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X