Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the RTC Program any good?

I just want feedback of anyones experience with this program. Thanks in advance.

My daughter did it for a couple years. The coaching was not good and really it seemed like not worth it.

It never hurts to get more touched but I think I’d do private training instead.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but now that the DA is gone for U12-14 according to the Timbers RTC is the only pathway to their Academy teams. I've heard people refer to RTC as Pre Academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I just want feedback of anyones experience with this program. Thanks in advance.
        If you have a child that has the following situation then YES-

1. Plays for an outlying club (like forest grove) where you only get two days a week training and your child wants more. RTC would be decent supplemental training.
        2. Your son plays on a “B” team and needs more training.

If your child is serious about the game and plays for a club that only trains two days a week then you are failing your child. If you pay more than $1,400 to play for your club and only get two days a week then you should complain and demand more training.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but now that the DA is gone for U12-14 according to the Timbers RTC is the only pathway to their Academy teams. I've heard people refer to RTC as Pre Academy.
          Biggest load of crock ever.

They are taking anyone decent. Anyone and it doesn’t matter where you came from.

On the girls side the academy teams are terrible and they ll take most anyone with a pulse.

Comment

My sons both did RTC training multiple times. We found that our particular training site had mostly useful training, which was a nice supplement. However, I think that the quality of the RTC trainings might vary from site to site.

Unfortunately, as we moved up the rung to ODP, we found that the quality of trainings was poor overall without much expectations or structure moving forward. Additionally, too many players were selected for the ODP squads, which resulted in the caliber of play not being up to par for what we expected. This was largely why we have pulled out and remain solely with our club for trainings.

Comment

My son did RTC last year. The training for RTC was questionable and the talent mixed - felt like the training was pitched to the middle ground and not particularly challenging at all. He made the ODP pool and that was some of the best training he’s ever had both in terms of the coaching and the boys he was with; he’s turned corner as a consequence and is a much improved player because of his ODP experience. A lot will depend on who the head coach is, I feel.

In short, RTC was meh, ODP was great but YMMV.

Comment

RTC and ODP have lost their luster, better training elsewhere

Comment

Training is good and it's good for player's to make to new friends. The scheduling for this training is mandatory and can be tough to get to if your playing out of town, be prepared for a lot of time in the car and a lot of less time around home.

Comment

My daughter did RTC and ODP starting the year b4 the Thorns' development academy started. RTC can be great if your area has a good coach, it's as simple as that.

ODP became secondary to DA, and they even call ODP teams "pre academy" in their literature. They put the hard sell on parents after ODP trainings. It felt like the program was being hijacked by coaches pushing their academy, and that's in the end what we have.

As far as quality? Because they have so many RTC centers, and they refuse basically no one, you're basically paying for more trainings with your local teams, and possibly, possibly, getting decent coaching.

Got to go do ball duty a couple times for the thorns, that was a great experience. Some good game experience... would we do it again? I think not.

I would look at who's coaching your age group b4 committing.

Comment

Biggest load of crock ever.

They are taking anyone decent. Anyone and it doesn’t matter where you came from.

On the girls side the academy teams are terrible and they ll take most anyone with a pulse.
                      Sounds like every other club in Oregon:

Comment

Had 2 kids do it for 2 years… it’s garbage

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X