United - BSC/NEU Merger

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2190689]Yes, indeed 'SUPER REC CLUB' now.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      FC's top two scorers are from Molalla and McMinnville. Helluva commute to practice, I bet.

Interestingly enough, #4 for FC's 05B DA team posed for his official team photo wearing an ADF shirt. That's awesome. http://fcpa.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams...ayer=246248742
      Molalla and McMinnville. Wow.
      My son is an '07 from NEU and I am on here reading the information of the merger which seems like a good thing.
      I guess I am not understanding why these boys would travel so far to play soccer when there must be so many other clubs that are closer.
      Does FC portland have a superior '05 coaches?
      I can't imagine even driving to Beaverton from Laurelhurst, let alone one of those two towns.

Comment

Neither BSC nor NEU are attracting the top male or female players now. I don’t see that changing.
        True premier players will go wherever the top teams/programs are offered, especially at older ages. Neither of these programs caters to this level of player. NEU can’t even get parental support to practice more than two days per week. As long as both teams know their target market all will go smoothly.

Comment

Westside and Crossfire are closer.
          Westside wouldn’t be a good fit. They prefer their players come from Cornelius, Forest Grove and Hillsboro. (At least that’s where most of their current roster hails from)

Comment

My son is an '07 from NEU and I am on here reading the information of the merger which seems like a good thing.
            I guess I am not understanding why these boys would travel so far to play soccer when there must be so many other clubs that are closer.
            I can't imagine even driving to Beaverton from Laurelhurst, let alone one of those two towns.
            McMinnville to Hillsboro isn't such a bad drive, especially if you know the back roads.

Molalla to Hillsboro is a rougher one. CFC would be the closest DA club to Molalla. Westside would be closer as well, but not all parents like their style.

Crossfire would be closer, but might not be a good cultural fit for a part-Latino (??) kid from rural Clackamas County.

Comment

Molalla to Hillsboro is deep and you have to drive right past and through several good options, but Mac to hillsboro is not bad taking back roads- probably 30-40 minutes and that is the closest premier level team to Mac other than maybe capital fc

Comment

McMinnville to Hillsboro isn't such a bad drive, especially if you know the back roads.

Molalla to Hillsboro is a rougher one. CFC would be the closest DA club to Molalla. Westside would be closer as well, but not all parents like their style.

Crossfire would be closer, but might not be a good cultural fit for a part-Latino (??) kid from rural Clackamas County.
                Funny you throw out cultural fit and crossfire- stereotype much? I am pretty sure they have as much diversity as FC does. Maybe it's a relationship with a coach or other player that is drawing him and his parents to make that drive...

Comment

Funny you throw out cultural fit and crossfire- stereotype much? I am pretty sure they have as much diversity as FC does. Maybe it's a relationship with a coach or other player that is drawing him and his parents to make that drive...
                  I'm sticking with our 'Super Rec' club, it works. Thanks.

More than likely US Soccer will dissolve the PDX Metro 'little DA' and we can get back to playing other rec clubs in the OYSA with standings and scores.

Comment

Westside wouldn’t be a good fit. They prefer their players come from Cornelius, Forest Grove and Hillsboro. (At least that’s where most of their current roster hails from)
                    Are we talking about for BSC kids, or for kids coming up the valley?

A whole lot of Westside's players live in Beaverton, Aloha, Bethany, and the West Hills, actually. A fair number do come from western Washington County. And we've had more than are share coming from points further afield than that, including the mid-Willamette Valley, north of the river. Adrian Villegas commuted here from Hood River before joining the Timbers' Academy.

Some of the posters here seem to be dancing around the issue of race. The Westside kids who live west of 185th are mostly Latino, those that live to the east are more likely to be from other ethnicities (white or Asian, with a few African-American players as well). A few of the West Hills clubs are overwhelmingly white, though that may well reflect the demographics of the communities in which they are located more than anything else. On the other side of the spectrum you have clubs like 4H and Cuervos which are mostly Latino (including coaching offered in Spanish rather than English). I doubt any of these clubs would exclude a talented kid based on race (they would be breaking the law), but I can see how a poor kid from Forest Grove would be uncomfortable on Crossfire, or a rich white kid from the West Hills might likewise feel out of place playing for FC West.

In youth soccer, class is frequently as much an issue as race, if not moreso.

And one other important aspect--coaching style, which does seem to correlate a bit with culture and class.

A lot of people here dislike Westside, I've noticed. A common objection that I've heard from many parents (both in this forum, and that I know personally) is the club's old-school approach. Cony makes the kids run, and run hard. He's not above conspicuously benching players who screw up, and infamously sent one kid home IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME earlier this season after a blown defensive assignment. (Said player has now joined the club who scored the goal against him; indeed a good fraction of FC's roster is pissed-off Westside families). Some of the stories I see peddled here are exaggerated, but Westside is not a place that will coddle players; especially on the A team. If Cony or Jaime thinks your kid is no good, they will tell you that to your face. And some parents hate this.

But other parents love it, and think that this is how great players are made. The following is only my observation, and I don't claim it to be scientific, but many of the working-class immigrant families I know seem to be more amenable to old-school style, reporting that this is commonplace where they grew up. (Not all, however).

(In my opinion, it depends a lot on the player. Some kids can handle this and are inspired by this, and thrive at Westside. Others will thrive elsewhere, but playing for ultra-old-school coaches will only inspire them to quit soccer).

Comment

Are we talking about for BSC kids, or for kids coming up the valley?

A whole lot of Westside's players live in Beaverton, Aloha, Bethany, and the West Hills, actually. A fair number do come from western Washington County. And we've had more than are share coming from points further afield than that, including the mid-Willamette Valley, north of the river. Adrian Villegas commuted here from Hood River before joining the Timbers' Academy.

Some of the posters here seem to be dancing around the issue of race. The Westside kids who live west of 185th are mostly Latino, those that live to the east are more likely to be from other ethnicities (white or Asian, with a few African-American players as well). A few of the West Hills clubs are overwhelmingly white, though that may well reflect the demographics of the communities in which they are located more than anything else. On the other side of the spectrum you have clubs like 4H and Cuervos which are mostly Latino (including coaching offered in Spanish rather than English). I doubt any of these clubs would exclude a talented kid based on race (they would be breaking the law), but I can see how a poor kid from Forest Grove would be uncomfortable on Crossfire, or a rich white kid from the West Hills might likewise feel out of place playing for FC West.

In youth soccer, class is frequently as much an issue as race, if not moreso.

And one other important aspect--coaching style, which does seem to correlate a bit with culture and class.

A lot of people here dislike Westside, I've noticed. A common objection that I've heard from many parents (both in this forum, and that I know personally) is the club's old-school approach. Cony makes the kids run, and run hard. He's not above conspicuously benching players who screw up, and infamously sent one kid home IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME earlier this season after a blown defensive assignment. (Said player has now joined the club who scored the goal against him; indeed a good fraction of FC's roster is pissed-off Westside families). Some of the stories I see peddled here are exaggerated, but Westside is not a place that will coddle players; especially on the A team. If Cony or Jaime thinks your kid is no good, they will tell you that to your face. And some parents hate this.

But other parents love it, and think that this is how great players are made. The following is only my observation, and I don't claim it to be scientific, but many of the working-class immigrant families I know seem to be more amenable to old-school style, reporting that this is commonplace where they grew up. (Not all, however).

(In my opinion, it depends a lot on the player. Some kids can handle this and are inspired by this, and thrive at Westside. Others will thrive elsewhere, but playing for ultra-old-school coaches will only inspire them to quit soccer).
                      Thank you for your thoughtful response.
                      I’m probably one you can count in the group that doesn’t like Westside.
                      That said, this is supposed to be a forum where different viewpoints can be aired, and I appreciate understanding your perspective.

My perspective is that your club recruits directly from those areas west of 185th. That is not to say exclusively, or all of the time. But in my opinion, Westside is recruiting not ‘attracting’ the better players from that geography.

Please understand that I am not complaining about that, just distinguishing push vs pull.
                      I’d love access to all of the clubs for all players of limited economic capability. Including every player certainly ups the quality level in our state.

So good for Westside for giving opportunity to the players west of 185th, well at least the quality players west of 185th. The average ones can stick to the goat patches of Forest Grove.

I’m not a scientist either, and this is just my view in slight rebuttal to your earlier comments regarding Westside.

Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful response.
                        I’m probably one you can count in the group that doesn’t like Westside.
                        That said, this is supposed to be a forum where different viewpoints can be aired, and I appreciate understanding your perspective.

My perspective is that your club recruits directly from those areas west of 185th. That is not to say exclusively, or all of the time. But in my opinion, Westside is recruiting not ‘attracting’ the better players from that geography.

Please understand that I am not complaining about that, just distinguishing push vs pull.
                        I’d love access to all of the clubs for all players of limited economic capability. Including every player certainly ups the quality level in our state.

So good for Westside for giving opportunity to the players west of 185th, well at least the quality players west of 185th. The average ones can stick to the goat patches of Forest Grove.

I’m not a scientist either, and this is just my view in slight rebuttal to your earlier comments regarding Westside.
                        Of course Westside engages in recruiting. Lots of clubs recruit (or have parents that will do it on the club's behalf, with or without the knowledge of the coaches). I've had parents of other clubs try to recruit my DS during games. (And I certainly keep my options open--as long as WT is a good fit for my family, I'm happy to stay there; were that cease to be the case, there are plenty of other clubs to choose from).

Nothing wrong with it; especially if we're talking premier teams. Western Washington County is a target-rich environment--lots of good players out there who don't play organized soccer, or who play in unaffiliated leagues--and the US Soccer edifice has long done a piss-poor job of reaching these players. FC also does a good job finding players from outside it's nominal coverage area.

Comment

Of course Westside engages in recruiting. Lots of clubs recruit (or have parents that will do it on the club's behalf, with or without the knowledge of the coaches). I've had parents of other clubs try to recruit my DS during games. (And I certainly keep my options open--as long as WT is a good fit for my family, I'm happy to stay there; were that cease to be the case, there are plenty of other clubs to choose from).

Nothing wrong with it; especially if we're talking premier teams. Western Washington County is a target-rich environment--lots of good players out there who don't play organized soccer, or who play in unaffiliated leagues--and the US Soccer edifice has long done a piss-poor job of reaching these players. FC also does a good job finding players from outside it's nominal coverage area.
                          FC has players from that profile and does make some accommodation for economically challenged families. FC does not acquire those players in the same manner as Westside.

Again, glad that the opportunity exists for at least some of those players, and hopefully more and more, the sooner the better.

Comment

TWO PORTLAND RECREATIONAL YOUTH CLUBS MERGE TO FORM UNITED PDX
                            This new club in Oregon creates new opportunities for Portland youth rec players

Portland, OR - February 5, 2018 - Northeast United Soccer Club (NEU) and BSC Oregon (BSC) are excited to announce their intent to merge. The combined club will be named United PDX (United).

The combination of NEU and BSC will not create the largest rec soccer club in OYSA.
                            Fact Check:

*OYSA Membership 2018 (Includes coaches/mgrs & players)

NEU-715
                            BSC-980

Are the other 1000 members part of US Club Soccer? Jus sayin.

*Source OYSA 2018 AGM Report

Comment

Fact Check:

NEU-715
                              BSC-980

Not US Club - PYSA (which has 12,000+ in OYSA Report).

Don't know the exact numbers, but NEU is the largest rec club in PYSA. It is at least 1000 rec players between NEU and BSC. Numbers above are competitive numbers (although those are dated too, if you read the fine print in the AGM Report, those are from 2016-17).

Comment

Fact Check:

NEU-715
                                BSC-980

@ $1600 a kid = $2.7mm and change. Come again why the competitive side of this is “non-Profit”???

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X