Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what should you look for in a coach?

I saw this topic brushed on in another thread, and I thought it needs its own thread.

What should you look for when selecting a coach or a team.

For that matter...what should you avoid?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I saw this topic brushed on in another thread, and I thought it needs its own thread.

foreign accent works well for a lot of clubs

Comment

Let's start w/ these three

Coach should have very little (if any) relationship with parents off the field. Communication should ALWAYS go ONLY through the player ALL the time unless clarification of something needs to be addressed.

Coaches should NOT be allowed to do 1 on 1 sessions w/ any of their OWN players.

Coaches should have NO access to team funds.

Comment

Let's start w/ these three

Coach should have very little (if any) relationship with parents off the field. Communication should ALWAYS go ONLY through the player ALL the time unless clarification of something needs to be addressed.

Coaches should NOT be allowed to do 1 on 1 sessions w/ any of their OWN players.

Coaches should have NO access to team funds.
        Interesting. The third item is obvious, but why the first two?

Comment

A coach that is not getting favors from one of the moms.

Comment

I have my thoughts. Before I spit them out, is this the COMEDY thread or intelligent debate thread?

Comment

I have my thoughts. Before I spit them out, is this the COMEDY thread or intelligent debate thread?
              Which one will get you to go away and never return to it? Because that's the one it is.

Comment

Which one will get you to go away and never return to it? Because that's the one it is.
                I have a collaboration with Celtic Dad. We cannot go away. Interestingly, why you are here all the time?

Comment

Great questions!

Finding the best coach is tough because they may not be with a good team. Think about that before commenting. The coaches that win the most games are not necessarily the best coaches. They just get he best players, especially on the older teams, because they play at the highest level of competition. Then again, playing the highest level of competition can be a great thing as far as the "team" aspect of your question.

The best coaches are great teachers, motivators, and communicators. On game day, they are great managers and tacticians of the game. That goes for any coach in any sport. They are hard to come by!

Comment

I believe there are a lot of decent coaches at every club through out the state. I tend to believe that the bigger issue is the fact that most players only practice during their teams training times and do not train outside of those team sessions on their own. Parents tend to be blind to their own kids skill deficiencies and instead look at the coach as a scape goat. Sorry Folks your kids aren't going to get any better if they are only touching a ball for a few hours every week.

Comment

Make sure he has a day job so he isn't solely dependent on his soccer salary and that he doesn't has a child hood trauma that's still eating at him and causing him great insecurity.

Comment

Make sure he has a day job so he isn't solely dependent on his soccer salary and that he doesn't has a child hood trauma that's still eating at him and causing him great insecurity.
                        Make sure he's not an arrogant daddy coach and the sole reason his kid even made the team is because he's coaching for free. Do not settle for a daddy coach

Comment

Interesting. The third item is obvious, but why the first two?
                          They are to keep the INTEGRITY of the coach and game.

If the coach has NO relationship with the parents or does 1 v 1's with his own players then no one can ever say or think that the coach is biased to a player because of either 1 v 1's which some parents feel is their ticket to getting their kid more playing time or the coaches relationship with parents of a particular player.

This way ALL parents and players will KNOW that all playing time, positions and substitutions are based SOLELY on The players skill level and what they EARNED!

Do 1 v 1's w/ ANOTHER coach at your club.

Comment

I have three rules for my parents.

1: Never under any circumstances approach me after a game.
                            2: Never under any circumstances question a coaching decision that I make.
                            3: Never under any circumstances assume you know more than me.

As long as they follow these three simple rules we will be ok.

Comment

I have three rules for my parents.

1: Never under any circumstances approach me after a game.
                              2: Never under any circumstances question a coaching decision that I make.
                              3: Never under any circumstances assume you know more than me.

As long as they follow these three simple rules we will be ok.
                              You are that arrogant daddy coach I was talking about. Hey at least your kid is off the bench finally.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X