Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well said....that's how I feel as well....
    Hue must have started it then.

Comment

Xyzhhhgggvvfsggshf

Comment

Xyzhhhgggvvfsggshf
        guess the Swedish Chef is posting on TS now...

Comment

I signed up for this over a year ago, and I thought it was worthless to the players on my team.

Comment

I signed up for this over a year ago, and I thought it was worthless to the players on my team.
            you have to be proactive.

Comment

you have to be proactive.
              As with most things, you get out of it what you put in to it.

Comment

Did anybody ever use this website/service, does it work, did you get anything out of it ?
                I looked into the services and ended up going with CaptainU. I selected it for one reason; my kid can do it. You see, I want him to get his hands dirty and his feet wet and hustling for a scholarship is the perfect way to do this. The kid has to do his homework, make calls, write emails and follow up. Not a lot different than what he will have to do in the real world. CaptainU is simple, easy to read and takes them step by step with good links for research and coaches links that actually work. In the first month, we had over 20 emails from colleges he was interested in attending. He gets excited every time a coach responds and it makes him want to do more. He can put his social media skills to good use in following through, keeping his profile updated and making sure he stays on the watch lists.

You see NCAA regs do not allow coaches to contact recruits until summer after sophomore year. Services like CaptainU and the NCAA Eligibility Center help your kid learn the ropes and get those relationships started by being proactive with coaches. CaptainU is $20 a month and NCSA is closer to $100. Both will try and upsell you on having videos made and other add-on services. You may want to check with your team to see if they provide video services or have a special rate with a local company. Most do.

NCSA is similar in appearance but I do not like their salespeople/scouts. They claim to be former college coaches and players, however, a little surfing turned up this revelation:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/NCSA-S...llinois-406405

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/NCS...ws-E333925.htm

So it is a 100% high commission, high pressure sales mill. It does not mean these people can't help you. It simply means they have to close memberships if they want to eat so I think they are more focused on the next lead than they are on getting your kid to NLI day.

" The good news is you're fired. The bad news is you've got, all you've got, just one week to regain your jobs, starting with tonight. Starting with tonight's sit. Oh, have I got your attention now? Good. 'Cause we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody wanna see second prize? Second prize's a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

At this point, I think I would rather spend the money and put my kid to work on his scholarship than me spending hours surfing college sites and learning through trial and error.

Comment

I looked into the services and ended up going with CaptainU. I selected it for one reason; my kid can do it. You see, I want him to get his hands dirty and his feet wet and hustling for a scholarship is the perfect way to do this. The kid has to do his homework, make calls, write emails and follow up. Not a lot different than what he will have to do in the real world. CaptainU is simple, easy to read and takes them step by step with good links for research and coaches links that actually work. In the first month, we had over 20 emails from colleges he was interested in attending. He gets excited every time a coach responds and it makes him want to do more. He can put his social media skills to good use in following through, keeping his profile updated and making sure he stays on the watch lists.

You see NCAA regs do not allow coaches to contact recruits until summer after sophomore year. Services like CaptainU and the NCAA Eligibility Center help your kid learn the ropes and get those relationships started by being proactive with coaches. CaptainU is $20 a month and NCSA is closer to $100. Both will try and upsell you on having videos made and other add-on services. You may want to check with your team to see if they provide video services or have a special rate with a local company. Most do.

NCSA is similar in appearance but I do not like their salespeople/scouts. They claim to be former college coaches and players, however, a little surfing turned up this revelation:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/NCSA-S...llinois-406405

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/NCS...ws-E333925.htm

So it is a 100% high commission, high pressure sales mill. It does not mean these people can't help you. It simply means they have to close memberships if they want to eat so I think they are more focused on the next lead than they are on getting your kid to NLI day.

" The good news is you're fired. The bad news is you've got, all you've got, just one week to regain your jobs, starting with tonight. Starting with tonight's sit. Oh, have I got your attention now? Good. 'Cause we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody wanna see second prize? Second prize's a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

At this point, I think I would rather spend the money and put my kid to work on his scholarship than me spending hours surfing college sites and learning through trial and error.
                  One of our kids is currently using a captain U account. it is good for basically what was said above; the schools that contact you through it are a mix. many DII and under. Over the course of using this recruiting tool (with several kids) we have had contact from DI schools - though few. it is a very kid friendly site and does offer them info and direct links to schools which is what you really want. you want your kid looking for themselves. We have also used NCSA and still have that account - fully paid, much more expensive, though if you used Captain U for many years it would probably even out. NCSA is much more professional and they are there to personally to talk with your kid. We listened and joined many chats, etc. They offer so much more you really can't compare the two and we always found the school information on NCSA to be more up to date (coaches changes, schools costs, etc). Yes they are there to sell you but they need your kid to get recruited otherwise they fail. Really Depends on what you want and can afford. NCSA does offer to prepare your video that you've taken if you can't. We did this but using youtube was just as effective once we learned how to do it and that is what you really need, a link to provide coaches to your short clips. Really think these types of recruiting sites are best to get your kid looking at schools. That is vital in this process. Last note, direct contact initiated first by college can only start after Sept 1 of jr. yr. not before.

Comment

One of our kids is currently using a captain U account. it is good for basically what was said above; the schools that contact you through it are a mix. many DII and under. Over the course of using this recruiting tool (with several kids) we have had contact from DI schools - though few. it is a very kid friendly site and does offer them info and direct links to schools which is what you really want. you want your kid looking for themselves. We have also used NCSA and still have that account - fully paid, much more expensive, though if you used Captain U for many years it would probably even out. NCSA is much more professional and they are there to personally to talk with your kid. We listened and joined many chats, etc. They offer so much more you really can't compare the two and we always found the school information on NCSA to be more up to date (coaches changes, schools costs, etc). Yes they are there to sell you but they need your kid to get recruited otherwise they fail. Really Depends on what you want and can afford. NCSA does offer to prepare your video that you've taken if you can't. We did this but using youtube was just as effective once we learned how to do it and that is what you really need, a link to provide coaches to your short clips. Really think these types of recruiting sites are best to get your kid looking at schools. That is vital in this process. Last note, direct contact initiated first by college can only start after Sept 1 of jr. yr. not before.
                    I just checked on NCAA.org- looks like for 2013/14 the contact date has been moved up to July 1st of Junior Year.

Regardless of what recruiting methods you use, keeping up with the rules is essential, because NCAA changes them occasionally.

Comment

Over the course of using this recruiting tool (with several kids) we have had contact from DI schools - though few.
                      I have yet to find a recruiting service/site that can deliver top-tier D1 results. It is not that they don't have the contacts or good resources. It is simply a different process when you are with the powerhouse D1 schools. Consider this from the UCLA Recruiting Criteria page,

"You have to be one of the top student-athletes in your state or country and recognized as such through local, regional and national awards. You should be competing on outside teams away from your high school and have the ability to compete in your sport at the highest level. UCLA is #1 in NCAA titles and has top programs in every sport due in large part to finding the best student-athletes as early as possible in their high school athletic careers to recruit."

Wow. If that does not open your eyes, this will,

"We prefer athletes in their freshmen or sophomore years of high school or no later than in their junior season of high school to apply via the biography form. Unless you are a late rising junior it is probably too late to apply for an athletic scholarship in your senior year in virtually all of our 25 sports."

Basically, the Pac 10, ACC, Big 10 and SEC find you, you don't find them. They have the budgets to hire full time recruiters who are constantly scouting DA, ECNL, ID2, ODP, National Tournaments and USNT games. That is their player pool to choose from.

Does that mean your kid can't get a scholarship through attending their ID Camp or walking on? No, it just means most of the scholarships are gone by the time they get to trying-out so be ready to pony up to play.

Comment

I just checked on NCAA.org- looks like for 2013/14 the contact date has been moved up to July 1st of Junior Year.

Regardless of what recruiting methods you use, keeping up with the rules is essential, because NCAA changes them occasionally.
                        I highly recommend your 9th grade player enroll in the NCAA Eligibility Center, aka Clearinghouse. It costs $70 and guides them through the process of being declared eligible to play NCAA sports. Basically, they have to verify they have never been paid or compensated for playing their sport. The Eligibility Center also instructs them through easy to read tutorials on proper contact with coaches, nutrition as it applies to banned substances and any matters related to prize money or compensated expenses with their current sports.

Comment

OK, my one frustration is not with the recruiting services. They are fine for what the posters mentioned previously. It is those mind-numbing recruit questionnaires that drive me nucking futs! Most of the colleges use the same online template and they ask your kid about everything under the sun:

What person influences you the most? If you say anyone besides your mother, don't bother going any further in this questionnaire you ungrateful little urchin.

What person influences you second most? I know you are only 14-years old so don't put down Ghandi or Mother Teresa. Just give us the name of your U10 coach and move on.

What three people would you invite to dinner? Would you pick up the check?

What is your parent's work number? Cell number? Fax number? Fill out the same for every other person in your family.

What is your coaches office number? Cell number? Home number? HA! If you don't know his home number, you are probably not one of his top players.

Give us all your social media handles so we can make sure you are not sexting or tweeting our team is a bunch of F***ing losers. Please do not sext our coaches. It will not influence our decision but may get you some dates when you arrive for a visit.

If a tree falls in the forest, would you do extra wind sprints?

If a woodchuck could chuck wood, would that be a good mascot for our team?

If Johnny leaves his dorm at 10am and the stadium is 1/2 mile across campus, will he pass a liquor store on his way to the game?

Please tell us which tournaments you are playing in so we can say we were there watching you even though none of the coaches went. We just watched your video on youtube. Nice home movies of your trip to Maui in the youtube thread. You were so cute in that one piece swimsuit when you were 4.

Do your parents donate money to charity? Would they donate to our booster club or at least build a new wing to our admin building?

Please tell us a bunch of lies about all the honors you have received. BTW - we recommend you don't list "recommended for ID2" as one of your honors - it is not.

Juggling is not a highlight unless something really funny like you slipping and falling occurs.

We need you to list the positions you have played since U6 rec program. BTW - we already have commitments from our strikers and keepers so you might as well mark holding mid or defender on the form. Do you honestly think we would get our forwards off the internet? ROFLMAO!

When you are finished, click submit and all of your carefully typed information will disappear. But you will start receiving our camp brochures!

Have a nice day and don't get your hopes up

Comment

OK, my one frustration is not with the recruiting services. They are fine for what the posters mentioned previously. It is those mind-numbing recruit questionnaires that drive me nucking futs! Most of the colleges use the same online template and they ask your kid about everything under the sun:

What person influences you the most? If you say anyone besides your mother, don't bother going any further in this questionnaire you ungrateful little urchin.

What person influences you second most? I know you are only 14-years old so don't put down Ghandi or Mother Teresa. Just give us the name of your U10 coach and move on.

What three people would you invite to dinner? Would you pick up the check?

What is your parent's work number? Cell number? Fax number? Fill out the same for every other person in your family.

What is your coaches office number? Cell number? Home number? HA! If you don't know his home number, you are probably not one of his top players.

Give us all your social media handles so we can make sure you are not sexting or tweeting our team is a bunch of F***ing losers. Please do not sext our coaches. It will not influence our decision but may get you some dates when you arrive for a visit.

If a tree falls in the forest, would you do extra wind sprints?

If a woodchuck could chuck wood, would that be a good mascot for our team?

If Johnny leaves his dorm at 10am and the stadium is 1/2 mile across campus, will he pass a liquor store on his way to the game?

Please tell us which tournaments you are playing in so we can say we were there watching you even though none of the coaches went. We just watched your video on youtube. Nice home movies of your trip to Maui in the youtube thread. You were so cute in that one piece swimsuit when you were 4.

Do your parents donate money to charity? Would they donate to our booster club or at least build a new wing to our admin building?

Please tell us a bunch of lies about all the honors you have received. BTW - we recommend you don't list "recommended for ID2" as one of your honors - it is not.

Juggling is not a highlight unless something really funny like you slipping and falling occurs.

We need you to list the positions you have played since U6 rec program. BTW - we already have commitments from our strikers and keepers so you might as well mark holding mid or defender on the form. Do you honestly think we would get our forwards off the internet? ROFLMAO!

When you are finished, click submit and all of your carefully typed information will disappear. But you will start receiving our camp brochures!

Have a nice day and don't get your hopes up
                            This was funny but not very encouraging. It seems that getting an athletic scholarship is akin to achieving world peace or winning the lotto....

Comment

This was funny but not very encouraging. It seems that getting an athletic scholarship is akin to achieving world peace or winning the lotto....
                              it was pretty funny agree. have to say I do recall those questionnaires and there was one or two that once submitted seemed to just freeze up and you never knew whether it was truly submitted; most importantly about them, I dont' think we ever got a serious look by any of the schools she submitted them to.

Comment

Captain U = Captain Underwear because after spending all the time and money, you'll be left standing in nothing but the, "U."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X