• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawsuit targets FIFA concussion rules

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/...ssion-protocol

it is about time!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

I played for 20 years and never concussed. I played on the playground and hit my head hard twice in 4th grade. I'm not sure who I can sue. Please help. I would like to file a lawsuit.

Comment

Here we go, now the lawyers are going to destroy the game. Teach your kid how to head the ball properly and you will minimize the risk. Next thing you know they will be saying there are too many knee injuries. Lawyers are scum of the earth.

Comment

What do you call 100,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start.

If the plaintiff lawyers have their way, the kids will be playing in skirts with large helmets on and full body armour. No heading, no tackles, no hard shots, no fast movements, no jumping in the air, no long passes, no cleats, no getting within 2 feet of an opponent and shots from within the 18 yard box.

Comment

I guess each player with have a counter on him to see how many times he headed the ball

I can not wait till a last minute corner kick goal is disallowed because the player that headed the ball went over the header limit.

Comment

I guess each player with have a counter on him to see how many times he headed the ball

I can not wait till a last minute corner kick goal is disallowed because the player that headed the ball went over the header limit.
            Everyone at every level signs a waiver before competition. You sign one at each tournament. I guess this isn't enough anymore.

Comment

Actually the science is pointing to low levels of damage with hits that don't meet the threshold of a concussion. Limiting the headers, particularly for the younger players, is looking like the prudent thing to do with what we know right now. It doesn't affect the game much at that level and just trying to minimize the number of repetitions is the prudent thing to do as parents who are responsible for our kids well being. The cumulative total is a big part of this whole thing.

As much as some people want to get all excited and pick the tough guy old school side on this issue, they are missing the facts. They want to be right, not get it right. Someone trotted out the old blast against lawyers, i doubt he even spent a few moments to look over the actual lawsuit. They aren't asking for monetary compensation, just changes in the way the game is played.

Maybe all those non concussions are affecting your comprehension levels and desire to actually delve into something and contemplate grey issues.

Comment

Actually the science is pointing to low levels of damage with hits that don't meet the threshold of a concussion. Limiting the headers, particularly for the younger players, is looking like the prudent thing to do with what we know right now. It doesn't affect the game much at that level and just trying to minimize the number of repetitions is the prudent thing to do as parents who are responsible for our kids well being. The cumulative total is a big part of this whole thing.

As much as some people want to get all excited and pick the tough guy old school side on this issue, they are missing the facts. They want to be right, not get it right. Someone trotted out the old blast against lawyers, i doubt he even spent a few moments to look over the actual lawsuit. They aren't asking for monetary compensation, just changes in the way the game is played.

Maybe all those non concussions are affecting your comprehension levels and desire to actually delve into something and contemplate grey issues.
                Exactly. Ask the German player, Kramer from the WC final. He had to ask the ref if he was playing in a WC Final. I'm far from being a bloodsucking attorney, but there could be significant improvement in concussion mgmt especially at the youth level.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...cup-final-2014

Comment

This issue gets all the Truman doctrine soccer crazies out. They freak whenever someone mentions even a marginal change that might be prudent with new information. Any talk of any changes, no matter how small, precipitates a firestorm of flames spouting all sorts of non sense.

Look I like guns, but it might be reasonable to say 9 year olds should not be shooting Uzis. Uzis are crappy firearms and they are hard to control in freaking full auto. Would I pass a law to that effect, probably not, but it would have saved that guy's life. I would just condemn it. What will the NRA and guns crazies say, well they will put out propaganda and treat it like communists are at the door. It is the same crap regarding head injuries in youth soccer. People freak and they take it as a personal attack on their person and culture. They start spouting all sorts of Fox News grade intellectual arguments that make no sense and don't really address the known facts.

Comment

What do you call 100,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start.

If the plaintiff lawyers have their way, the kids will be playing in skirts with large helmets on and full body armour. No heading, no tackles, no hard shots, no fast movements, no jumping in the air, no long passes, no cleats, no getting within 2 feet of an opponent and shots from within the 18 yard box.
                    Yep, I totally agree! Asking u14 and under players to not practice headers will absolutely wreck the whole game. Our boys will be wearing skirts and body armor, no one will be allowed to touch anything, the balls will be made of styrofoam, fifa will introduce "plays" and turnovers will pause the game, commercials breaks will be more prevalent.

You are a freaking genius, a prophet, and a brilliant future leader! This country needs people like you making important civic decisions on our behalf. The logic is impecable and the fact that you have so many good ideas at the youth soccer level is inspiring. Do you have a an club and i need a hash tag for you!

Comment

Don't let your little Johnny play the game, let him take up sewing instead....oh wait he may stick himself

oh and cars are dangerous too, make him walk everywhere

hey that water he drinks may be contaminated, better stop him drinking

and no food either , it might make him fat

hmmm isn't the air sometime poor.............ok problem solved ,everyone stop breathing

heres the solution, life can be dangerous .....stop worrying start living

geez what a pussy nanny state some people want

Comment

Don't let your little Johnny play the game, let him take up sewing instead....oh wait he may stick himself

hmmm isn't the air sometime poor.............ok problem solved ,everyone stop breathing

That that sir is a brilliant gem of logic genius.

Guy points out that people have trouble reading and digesting what the real issues and the small marginal suggested changes to remedy. He says people have trouble understanding nuance and go immediately to the extremes.

You come back with that... Making his point for him.

Thanks for taking time out from the glue sniffing to share that!

Comment

Great we should all live in little bubbles and take no risk just be drones to society. Let overseers govern everything we do. Unless you are the select elite you will just be a battery for the big machine. Send in NEO to save us from ourselves.

Little Johnny or Mia will fall down and get hurt sorry they learn from it. We take risk everyday. Risk are a part of life. Just wish the plaintive would have to pay my legal cost for my defense.

What are the true % of players that get concussions. Those that have a concussion have any lasting cognitive damage. I sure it is a small minority. But it will bring headlines and anti sports crowd to get in an uproar. "we need to protect the children" whatever happened to common sense.

I used to be able to bake homemade chocolate chip cookies for my sons class on his birthday. Everyone loved them even the principle. Last year I was told by his teacher you can not bring in homemade items they must be store bought.

I asked the principle why I have done it for years and have 2 other children that went through the school and had no problem. Your home kitchen does not get inspected and we can not guarantee it is clean and we have to protect the children. I bake professionally for a 5 star restaurant it is just crazy.

Sorry children and adults get hurt even die every day in accidents you can not live a productive life without risk. Whatever happened to just having fun and not worrying if you are going to get hurt.

Btw I read the lawsuit it is the first shot in the money grab game.

Comment

Thanks Grandpa! And you can tell us how it used to be back in your day later . . . after you eat your strained peas and take a nap.

Comment

Great we should all live in little bubbles and take no risk just be drones to society. Let overseers govern everything we do. Unless you are the select elite you will just be a battery for the big machine. Send in NEO to save us from ourselves.

Little Johnny or Mia will fall down and get hurt sorry they learn from it. We take risk everyday. Risk are a part of life. Just wish the plaintive would have to pay my legal cost for my defense.

What are the true % of players that get concussions. Those that have a concussion have any lasting cognitive damage. I sure it is a small minority. But it will bring headlines and anti sports crowd to get in an uproar. "we need to protect the children" whatever happened to common sense.

I used to be able to bake homemade chocolate chip cookies for my sons class on his birthday. Everyone loved them even the principle. Last year I was told by his teacher you can not bring in homemade items they must be store bought.

I asked the principle why I have done it for years and have 2 other children that went through the school and had no problem. Your home kitchen does not get inspected and we can not guarantee it is clean and we have to protect the children. I bake professionally for a 5 star restaurant it is just crazy.

Sorry children and adults get hurt even die every day in accidents you can not live a productive life without risk. Whatever happened to just having fun and not worrying if you are going to get hurt.

Btw I read the lawsuit it is the first shot in the money grab game.
                              Back to debate team bro!!

This is not about bubbles, drones, overseers, elite, the big machine, or NEO. It is not just about concussions, it is about cumulative damage to youth brains and how we can minimize that, with minor changes to the game. It is not about your kitchen or baking cookies. Yes people get hurt all the time. As a dynamic thoughtful society absorb new information. We make thoughtful changes after considering the facts, balancing out the risks versus the rewards.

If mankind had relied on your logic the past 10,000 years, you would not be in a kitchen baking today and your genes would probably not still be in the gene pool.

If you pick up a book on the history of soccer and take time to read a chapter or two, you will immediately notice that the sport has evolved over time. It has undergone some pretty radical changes as a matter of fact. Some of those changes were for sport. Many of them were for safety issues. Asking the youth soccer players to avoid headers in practice would seem rather inconsequential to the game if you were able to make it through the changes that have been made to the game over the past 200 years.

Enjoy the baking, try to enjoy the soccer, and please try to remember that this issue is not a proxy for all the things you hate about the world.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X