Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granite State Games

My child is thinking about trying out for one of the regions for soccer. Is it worth the time?

I don't know anyone that has participated but the claim on the website is a lot of college coaches will be in attendance for all games if you're interested in your child being possibly being recruited.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I don't know anyone that has participated but the claim on the website is a lot of college coaches will be in attendance for all games if you're interested in your child being possibly being recruited.
      Nobody will be recruited from this - it’s just for fun.

Comment

You need to be asked to attend tryouts and they already passed. Only first team all-state players are invited.

Comment

You need to be asked to attend tryouts and they already passed. Only first team all-state players are invited.
          My bad, I was thinking about Lions Cup

Comment

Really? My first teamer wasn’t “asked”?

They typically need players even right at the end. Contact your region’s coach and ask.

Comment

They typically need players even right at the end. Contact your region’s coach and ask.
              Read the post directly after the one you quoted moron

Comment

Read the post directly after the one you quoted moron
                No idea what Lion’s Cup is? Boys only? My first trainer girl wasn’t invited?

Comment

HS "All-Star" game vs. Vermont

Comment

HS "All-Star" game vs. Vermont
                    Lions Cup is for boys and girls all state players only. Games at Castleton (NH v VT) in July. Tryouts done and teams announced

Comment

Seniors only

Comment

My child is thinking about trying out for one of the regions for soccer. Is it worth the time?
                        It is - depending on the region your child is in you can get a pretty positive experience out of it. GSG does NOT market the event to the general public well and needs some corporate backing to push it to the next level.

As far as college coaches, the soccer games were well attended by regional coaches for both the boys and girls games. Mostly DIII programs with a few JUCO and I saw 3 DII assistants there who were looking at players they were already recruiting.

Comment

Is she a senior? If not she cant play Lions Cup. Granite State Games are open to all HS players FR through will be Seniors for 2020.

Comment

Granite State Games is a multi sport event (boys & girls, 7th through 12th grade) that takes place after school is out in June in Manchester. There are 4 soccer teams from 4 different regions of NH. They already had tryouts last December 9th in Nashua. But contact the coach and you can very likely still join - they pretty much take everyone who expresses an interest.

Lion's Cup (also known as Twin State Soccer) is a soccer only event (boys & girls, Seniors only) that takes place at a College in either Vermont or NH depending on the year. Tryouts have also already taken place. Players have to be on 1st or 2nd all-state teams. They make cuts and select alternates in case a player can't make the game so there is no late acceptance of players. There is a two day residential training camp in July with 3 training sessions per day culminating in a bragging rights game on the 3rd day between NH & VT. The girls play in the afternoon and the boys play the evening game.

I have experienced both first hand.

GSG: The 4 NH regional teams play each other in a round robin format. The level of soccer is pretty hit or miss with a large variable in player ability. Players have to pay $130 to participate. It's fun to be in a location with so many other sports going on - feels a little bit like Junior Olympics

Lion's Cup: The 2 day training camp sets up a bonding experience for the players. What's interesting is these are the top Seniors from each of their various schools who have in many cases been bitter rivals for 4 years. But here they need to come together and utilize each other's talents to achieve a common goal - beating Vermont! It's free although the players are encouraged to sell Player Cards to help raise money for the Lion's Organization charities. The level of play during the camp and in the game is what you'd expect from the top players in each state. The fitness aspect of the training camp is great timing for those players going on to play in college. In the past NH used to win more games but in recent years Vermont has taken it more seriously and have prevailed more, although the NH girls won it last year.

The tryouts for both events were held on exactly the same day after the end of the last season. Hard to say if this was on purpose to try to reduce participation in the other event or just incompetence on the organizers part. There are coaching factions in support of (and of course against) both events. Those against the GSC say it is too diluted to really be worth it and just a money-making vehicle for the organizers. Those against the Lion's Cup say it is organized by old-timer Lion's Organization members who are way past their prime. Either way there is room for both - the NHSCA leaders just need to ensure they don't hold the tryouts on the same day. Many coaches don't know the details, especially the new coaches because no-one explains it to them. Even stupider is that they also allow a special all-star game just for Division 1 players that also happens the same weekend as the other 2 sets of tryouts.

Comment

Is there as much politics involved in team selection in the GSGames as in the Lion's Cup?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X