Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There's absolutely no reason for a player who plays in the ECNL league to do ODP. US Soccer has made it clear they won't call up girls for national team opportunities unless they play academy. The recruitment opportunities that ODP weekends like Arizona offer are no better than what girls get during ECNL events. USYS really outsmarted themselves on this one - making ODP not remotely worthwhile for ECNL players.

What is more concerning in Oregon is the top OYSA players opting out. The 02 team is missing at least a half dozen very good players from Vancouver, Salem, and Eugene - all who in theory could benefit from the recruitment opportunities ODP provides. This shows that among the target audience (non-academy and non-ECNL players), the top players don't see it as worth their time or money. This is why you have ODP teams with a few good players and then a bunch of filler.
    A few good players and a bunch of filler can’t compete with other good states. However, if you play DA, Ecnl or top Oysa travel team, then there is no big reason to do ODP, particularly the older you get. That’s more of a compliment to those other teams and programs for providing opportunities (including id2 & pdp) and making odp unnecessary than it is a knock on odp itself.

The other problem is a huge chunk of Oregon’s best players choose Ecnl or an Oysa team over the Thorns Academy itself and odp is defined by the Timbers/Thorns as the Thorns B team. Not much incentive for a player who could make the Thorns Academy 1st Team to play on the Academy’s B team. There have also been oysa “top” players that didn’t shine in odp so they opt out. Many top players (and their parents) have far too much ego to play on a so called B team, much less, not start or not stand out on that B team. Again, not Odp’s fault.

On the other hand, Oregon odp sent quite a few players to Phoenix. The good players and the filler are all playing soccer against at least decent players from other states like California. I know odp isn’t dead yet because odp still generated enough interest to get several pages of comment on TS. I say, the more soccer options the better, so good luck to all the Oregon odp players and teams playing the beautiful game.

Comment

I’ll try to simplify it for you.

GDA players: Banned from ODP.

ECNL players: ODP not worth it. US soccer won’t call them up for national team due to their pi**ing war with ECNL. ODP recruitment opportunities no better than ECNL. Any ECNL player still doing ODP is doing it for social reasons, for status reasons, or because they are following bad advice.

OYSA players: ODP worth it. Chance to play with and against “top” non ECNL and non GDA players. Extra recruitment opportunities.

The problem in Oregon is there are still many very good/excellent players in OYSA category 3. But many of them aren’t doing ODP. Salem’s 01 team is almost all 02’s and they could put 5-6 players on that team. Same with Vancouver’s 02 team. Same with Eugene’s 02 team. But these girls and their families don’t see the value in ODP. This should be very concerning for the people running ODP. They have made their product inaccessible or unnecessary for GDA and ECNL. And the rest don’t think it’s worth doing.
      1. It's not true that us soccer refuses to call up ECNL players. They may, and probably do, prefer their own platform, but many recent call-ups have been from ECNL clubs.

2. You seem to be confused about who runs ODP. It's usys, not us soccer. The other platforms may have devalued ODP somewhat, but it's not something ODP did to themselves.

3. You seem to view the main value of ODP in the showcases, not in the training--that the only purpose for doing it is to go to zona and be seen by recruiters. Perhaps you are missing the point here?

4. The biggest value in ODP these days is for kids who don't have a DA or ECNL program nearby, or who can't afford the latter. Is that a step down from when ODP was an essential step on the path to a pro or international career? Yes. Does that make it irrelevant or worthless? No.

5. This whole thread, unfortunately, reeks of the sort of obnoxious ECNL triumphalism that led US Soccer to form the GDA in the first place: contempt for, and continual attempts to marginalize, other parts of the soccer ecosystem. Why the hate for ODP? If you think the Timbers aren't running it well, that's one thing, but the initial post in this thread was full of glee that Oregon girls overall did poorly on the first day. Lots of girls don't live on the west side of town, and/or cannot do ECNL for other reasons. Lots of ECNL honks' attitude to those girls, apparently, is "sucks to be you".

Comment

Ecnl and DA parents simply don’t care about odp anymore. The anti odp posters are mostly the jealous parents of oysa players that either didn’t make the watered down odp teams or didn’t try out. Many Oregon parents weirdly seem to never want any other Oregon soccer girls to have any success even success in a program their own child wanted no part of. It is mostly the oysa parents that also come on here bad mouthing gda and ecnl. GDA & ECNL have some of this too but not as much and it is mostly in-house on their own specific teams.

Comment

Results so far (https://usyouthsoccer.sportsaffinity...4AF&show=girls)

BU17: Oregon 7, S. Nevada 0
          BU17: Oregon 2, Arizona 0
          BU16: Utah 1, Oregon 0
          BU16: Oregon 6, S. Nevada 1

BU15: Oregon 3, E. Washington 0
          BU15: Oregon 3, Cal North 3
          BU15: Oregon 4, S. Nevada 1
          BU14: Cal North 4, Oregon 2
          BU13: Oregon 1, Utah 1
          BU12: Washington 4, Oregon 2
          BU12: Hawaii 6, Oregon 3

GU17: Colorado 2, Oregon 0
          GU17: Washington 3, Oregon 0
          GU16: No Oregon team
          GU15: S. Nevada 3, Oregon 0
          GU15: Utah 9, Oregon 1
          GU14: Colorado 3, Oregon 0
          GU13: Oregon 1, Cal North 1
          GU13: Oregon 8, E. Washington 0
          GU12: Washington 9, Oregon 0
          GU12: Hawaii 2, Oregon 1
          Updated scores as of Sunday morning:

BU17: Oregon 3, Cal North 0. Advances to semis vs Utah
          BU16: Group play finished, consolation game today vs Idaho
          BU15: Group play finished, advances to semis vs Cal South.
          BU14: N. Nevada 1, Oregon 0. Consolation vs Idaho.
          BU13: Oregon 6, Alaska 0
          BU13: Oregon 6, Idaho 0. Semifinals vs Arizona
          BU12: Oregon 3, New Mexico 2. One more group stage game vs N. Nevada

Even number years (02,04,06) qualify for advancement, odd number years don't. Go figure.

On the girls side:

GU17: Oregon 3, New Mexico 0. Consolation vs Cal North
          GU15: Oregon 2, Arizona 0. Consolation vs New Mexico.
          GU14: E. Washington 2, Oregon 1. Consolation vs Cal North.
          GU13: Oregon 9, Montana 0. Advance to semis vs Cal South
          GU12: Colorado 7, Oregon 1. One more group game vs N. Nevada.

Interesting that the only Oregon girls age group which so far has failed to get a result is the U12s, where ECNL and GDA are not yet in the picture.

Overall out of 11 teams sent, four are semifinalists.

Comment

Ecnl and DA parents simply don’t care about odp anymore. The anti odp posters are mostly the jealous parents of oysa players that either didn’t make the watered down odp teams or didn’t try out. Many Oregon parents weirdly seem to never want any other Oregon soccer girls to have any success even success in a program their own child wanted no part of. It is mostly the oysa parents that also come on here bad mouthing gda and ecnl. GDA & ECNL have some of this too but not as much and it is mostly in-house on their own specific teams.
            Horse manure.

Comment

Updated scores as of Sunday morning:

Even number years (02,04,06) qualify for advancement, odd number years don't. Go figure.

On the girls side:

Interesting that the only Oregon girls age group which so far has failed to get a result is the U12s, where ECNL and GDA are not yet in the picture.

Overall out of 11 teams sent, four are semifinalists.
              Not too bad and pretty typical of how Oregon does in regional competitions. Despite gda and ecnl not being in the picture yet, are the top u12s in those pipelines not doing ODP like their older sisters aren’t?

Comment

Not too bad and pretty typical of how Oregon does in regional competitions. Despite gda and ecnl not being in the picture yet, are the top u12s in those pipelines not doing ODP like their older sisters aren’t?
                Can't speak for the girls side. On the boys side, WT doesn't push RTC/ODP like they used to, even at the younger ages where DA is not an option. OTOH, if you look at the boys ODP coaching staff, there's a bunch of Westside coaches there: Cony, Steven Evans, Jimmi. And some coaches from other clubs--Max from WashT, BM from UPDX, Nelson from PCU, Rex from Eastside.

I could see the ECNL clubs discouraging their pre-ECNL girls from doing ODP out of fear that the Thorns might use it as a "poaching" platform, and/or to spite Peregrine generally, as well as standard coaching arrogance.

Comment

Results so far (https://usyouthsoccer.sportsaffinity...4AF&show=girls)

BU17: Oregon 7, S. Nevada 0
                  BU17: Oregon 2, Arizona 0

BU16: Utah 1, Oregon 0

BU15: Oregon 3, E. Washington 0
                  BU15: Oregon 3, Cal North 3
                  BU15: Oregon 4, S. Nevada 1

BU14: Cal North 4, Oregon 2

BU13: Oregon 1, Utah 1

BU12: Washington 4, Oregon 2
                  BU12: Hawaii 6, Oregon 3

GU17: Colorado 2, Oregon 0
                  GU17: Washington 3, Oregon 0

GU16: No Oregon team

GU15: S. Nevada 3, Oregon 0
                  GU15: Utah 9, Oregon 1

GU14: Colorado 3, Oregon 0
                  GU13: Oregon 1, Cal North 1

GU13: Oregon 8, E. Washington 0

GU12: Washington 9, Oregon 0
                  GU12: Hawaii 2, Oregon 1
                  Sunday afternoon update:

BU15 semis: Oregon 2 (7) Cal South 2 (6), Oregon to final vs Arizona
                  BU13 semis: Arizona 2, Oregon 1.
                  GU14 consolation: Oregon 2, Idaho 1
                  GU13 semis: Cal South 5, Oregon 0
                  GU12 group play: N Nevada 6, Oregon 5

Out of four semifinalists, one has advanced, two lost, and we are still waiting for the BU17 score.

Comment

Shoutout to the 06 girls for saving Oregon from utter and complete embarrassment in Arizona.

06 team with a +8 GD after first day.

Rest of Oregon with a -18 GD and no goals scored.

Kudos to the ODP/academy system for doing such a stellar job of preparing our girls to compete out of state.
                    No one cares about girls soccer

It’s like watching drywall mud dry. It’s soccer in a swimming pool

Comment

No one cares about girls soccer

It’s like watching drywall mud dry. It’s soccer in a swimming pool
                      FOH with your Neanderthal thoughts man.

Comment

Can't speak for the girls side. On the boys side, WT doesn't push RTC/ODP like they used to, even at the younger ages where DA is not an option. OTOH, if you look at the boys ODP coaching staff, there's a bunch of Westside coaches there: Cony, Steven Evans, Jimmi. And some coaches from other clubs--Max from WashT, BM from UPDX, Nelson from PCU, Rex from Eastside.

I could see the ECNL clubs discouraging their pre-ECNL girls from doing ODP out of fear that the Thorns might use it as a "poaching" platform, and/or to spite Peregrine generally, as well as standard coaching arrogance.
                        I have never had a kid play for either ECNL club so I don't know what their coaches tell players. But after my kid enduring a year of what she called "Thorns advertising" at every ODP session, I can see the ECNL clubs not being overly enthusiastic about ODP as well. Why send your best players to a program that arguably isn't as good as what you can provide, where they will constantly be told they need to leave their current team to be successful? In any other realm, we would call that poaching, as the OP said, and rightly so. Clubs aren't supposed to do that. I know they do. But they all know it's wrong. We give Thorns a pass because in the pyramid their own program made up, they placed themselves higher up than ECNL or OYSA teams. Whether that's true or not is a matter of perspective, I guess.

Comment

I have never had a kid play for either ECNL club so I don't know what their coaches tell players. But after my kid enduring a year of what she called "Thorns advertising" at every ODP session, I can see the ECNL clubs not being overly enthusiastic about ODP as well. Why send your best players to a program that arguably isn't as good as what you can provide, where they will constantly be told they need to leave their current team to be successful? In any other realm, we would call that poaching, as the OP said, and rightly so. Clubs aren't supposed to do that. I know they do. But they all know it's wrong. We give Thorns a pass because in the pyramid their own program made up, they placed themselves higher up than ECNL or OYSA teams. Whether that's true or not is a matter of perspective, I guess.
                          If oregon odp has dropped to the level of coaching available at CU & FC, we are indeed in a at the new 'gates of hell' in Oregon youth soccer.

Skipped em both and went to a higher level of coaching and competition with the DA and Thorns.

Always best to know your options.

Comment

Sunday afternoon update:

BU15 semis: Oregon 2 (7) Cal South 2 (6), Oregon to final vs Arizona
                            BU13 semis: Arizona 2, Oregon 1.
                            GU14 consolation: Oregon 2, Idaho 1
                            GU13 semis: Cal South 5, Oregon 0
                            GU12 group play: N Nevada 6, Oregon 5

Out of four semifinalists, one has advanced, two lost, and we are still waiting for the BU17 score.
                            Oregon BU17s also win on penalties, 1-1 (4-1), advance to final against Cal South.

Comment

Deja vu. Way back in the day, Tom Atencio was the culprit at ODP who constantly worked on players and their families to leave their clubs to play for THUSC, and later CU ECNL. Some things never change.

Comment

Depends on what you mean by "Thorns advertising". If the ODP coaching staff are badmouthing club teams (either the club scene in general, or specific clubs), that's inappropriate. If encouragement for girls to try out for Thorns--especially blanket encouragements, rather than identification and recruiting of specific players, that arguably crosses the line.

OTOH, simply informing the girls of the opportunities available, and the extent to which good performance in ODP might help them join Thorns should they be interested... that's fine. Sometimes it feels like a few local youth clubs consider themselves to be the peers of the Timbers and Thorns in youth soccer, and resent the notion that subsidized training and such just might mean the pro academy teams sit atop the local youth soccer pyramid.

Somehow, I can't imagine a youth-only club in England or Spain or Germany taking the position that having one of their players move to the academies of Man City or Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, constitutes "poaching", or that there's anything unfair or unethical about pro teams offering spots to players from smaller clubs. Only in America would a neighborhood nonprofit take such a blinkered view of its roster--viewing its players as assets that need protecting so the club can win a state cup or ECNL regional, rather than putting the development of the player first.

It's especially laughable, as another poster notes, when such whining comes from the ECNL clubs, who are some of the most aggressive recruiters of talent in the local soccer scene; whose entire shtick is trying to convince girls that they and they alone provide the best opportunity for a D1 scholly. Who tell everyone and their dog that OYSA teams are all "rec", and that failure to secure a spot on an ECNL roster will identify a player as second-rate.

As obnoxious as Peregrine can sometimes be, I'll say it again. Seeing the local ECNL clubs being hoist on their own petard; watching them receive the same disregard that they have long heaped out to the Alliance clubs and the independents both, and hearing them piss and moan about how unfair it is that the Thorns are going after their players (and using platforms like ODP to do so), makes me happy inside. Every time an ECNL troll complains in TS, on angel gets its wings.

Hucking fypocrites, the lot of them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X