Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The NWSL Thorns Academy is the only local option that is cheaper than ECNL but also lower in quality. You have to make trade offs. If you can afford ECNL it is a great option.
    I assume when you say 'ECNL' you are referencing 2 local neighborhood clubs: Crossfire Utd & FC Portland a brief history on that front, at the demise of the US Club OPL they opted to join another US Club league (ECNL) vs staying locally in the OYSA-a rash decision that has cost families hundreds of thousands and dollars and not changed outcomes one iota. Sad but true.

Just an FYI, every singe local club is cheaper than FC & CU since the families aren't flying across the country from Nov to June. If you like to travel and don't mind playing teams that are identical to the local clubs team in Oregon, it's certainly an option if you have the cash to burn, absolutely.

The NWSL DA Thorns is not a local club it's an extension of the Pro clubs youth Development program. It's subsidized and is highly selective/exclusive, basically they scout and identify the best locals, train them year round under the guidance of the US Soccer curriculum.

Very few kids get to choose Club or NWSL DA, for the handful that do, the decision has been made last May, unless the pro club drops youth players during the year and reaches out to the very best locals, which rarely happens. New DA teams will be formed again in May 2019.

For those select few chosen to the DA giving up the 2 month HS recreational season was not a deal breaker. But instead a blessing.

To summarize CU and FC Portland in most cases cost 4 to 5 times than any other local clubs, all based on travel.

The Thorns DA cost is between the player and the Pro club as such it varies but never approaches the CU & FC travel bill, period.

In the end you play for your local club of your choice or maybe just HS. Since 99% of the girls will never get to choose DA or club. It's not a trade off, it's reality.

Comment

Not sure what the point is in playing stupid and not understand what 'ECNL' refers to, but maybe you are really that stupid.We have 2 clubs in Oregon that play in the ECNL league.Their club training fees are fairly comparable and since they are travel partners, the travel fees are also fairly comparable.
      Some people choose to group the cost as 'ECNL' to give readers a rough estimate of cost.
      There is a range on 'ECNL' cost it is dependent on the age group that you play in and the number of showcases your team attends.
      Some people add in parent travel and some don't. Just be consistent if you are making a comparison.$12K is on the high side if you are not including parent travel.
      So your saying two local clubs joined a travel league that can cost up to 12K a year. Got it.

The obvious question is why?

Seems silly with a NWSL Pro DA in town scooping up the best players.

I guess travelling is priority for these families and clubs, do they (kids) go on cruise ships together as well?

Comment

At $4,000.00 per year Thirns is pretty cheap. Quality is not as good but it’s cheaper.
        I like cheap. I drive a Yugo and eat my meals off the dollar menu. Goodwill for clothes and dollar store for all my canned goods. Cheap is good. I ain’t paying more than I have to for things. That’s a bad idea.

I’ll take the cheap item every time.

Comment

At $4,000.00 per year Thirns is pretty cheap. Quality is not as good but it’s cheaper.
          That’s only $400.00 per month! Cheaper than a used car payment.

Comment

I like cheap. I drive a Yugo and eat my meals off the dollar menu. Goodwill for clothes and dollar store for all my canned goods. Cheap is good. I ain’t paying more than I have to for things. That’s a bad idea.

GDA is cheaper than ECNL. Yugos are cheaper than most cars.

Comment

That's you, I'm willing to pay 12K for a Yugo with no wheels. Buy suits at Goodwill for $500 and pay $10 a can for the canned goods. Being stupid is good. It my money and I don't care about value. I'll outspend you and get less in return every time.

Comment

Hey, where are going with this comparison?

Comment

West Linn v Clackamas is an interesting match up. Could go to PKs.

Comment

That's you, I'm willing to pay 12K for a Yugo with no wheels. Buy suits at Goodwill for $500 and pay $10 a can for the canned goods. Being stupid is good. It my money and I don't care about value. I'll outspend you and get less in return every time.
                    These are priceless sentiments from parents at CU & FC. Thanks

Comment

Ok, let’s have a cease fire you two. You’re not convincing anyone.

Comment

I assume when you say 'ECNL' you are referencing 2 local neighborhood clubs: Crossfire Utd & FC Portland a brief history on that front, at the demise of the US Club OPL they opted to join another US Club league (ECNL) vs staying locally in the OYSA-a rash decision that has cost families hundreds of thousands and dollars and not changed outcomes one iota. Sad but true.

Just an FYI, every singe local club is cheaper than FC & CU since the families aren't flying across the country from Nov to June. If you like to travel and don't mind playing teams that are identical to the local clubs team in Oregon, it's certainly an option if you have the cash to burn, absolutely.

The NWSL DA Thorns is not a local club it's an extension of the Pro clubs youth Development program. It's subsidized and is highly selective/exclusive, basically they scout and identify the best locals, train them year round under the guidance of the US Soccer curriculum.

Very few kids get to choose Club or NWSL DA, for the handful that do, the decision has been made last May, unless the pro club drops youth players during the year and reaches out to the very best locals, which rarely happens. New DA teams will be formed again in May 2019.

For those select few chosen to the DA giving up the 2 month HS recreational season was not a deal breaker. But instead a blessing.

To summarize CU and FC Portland in most cases cost 4 to 5 times than any other local clubs, all based on travel.

The Thorns DA cost is between the player and the Pro club as such it varies but never approaches the CU & FC travel bill, period.

In the end you play for your local club of your choice or maybe just HS. Since 99% of the girls will never get to choose DA or club. It's not a trade off, it's reality.
                        So many falsehoods in this it is hard to know where to begin. Suffice to say, none of this is accurate.

Comment

So many falsehoods in this it is hard to know where to begin. Suffice to say, none of this is accurate.
                          Does it really matter?

Most people have already made up their minds anyways.

I am not a fan of DA, but it does create competion and makes ECNL better.

Thorns DA would not be subsidized if ECNL did not exist.

Likewise if there were only ECNL or worse if there were only one ECNL club in Portland, you would not win as a customer

The idea of consolidation of talent is great, but there is a price to pay. The soccer people in PDX have already proven that they can’t manage things as is, do you really want to pick one of them to run a monopoly?

Comment

West Linn v Clackamas is an interesting match up. Could go to PKs.
                            Clackamas 4-0

Comment

Clackamas 4-0
                              Oh man would I ever love to lay some cash down against you on this bet.

Comment

Ok, let’s have a cease fire you two. You’re not convincing anyone.
                                Agreed, nobody cares you 2. Move this to the appropriate thread. This is the thread where we all say our HS team is going to beat your HS team and they will both lose to another HS team. Blah blah, same story every year.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X